Meatcidents! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-10-2007, 07:40 AM

Ever had a "meatcident" (meat accident) where you're eating something and you had NO IDEA there was meat or a meat-derivative in it?

They're pretty horrible.

And I know it sounds like something that would happen to a careless, immature, unobservant newb vegetarian...but I'm sure even the most refined veg stumbles upon a meatcident.

I've gone veg for three years now, and it's happened to me several times...most recently, last night.

God, it was utterly terrible. I cried and ranted and everything.

Here's the story: Me and my parents go to an Italian "Ristorante" and I order the only veg option on the menu...Torteglione with Steamed Veggies and a Marinara Sauce. So I'm eating away at my plate, thinking that it was meat-free. Hooray, right? Wrong. I notice that the marinara sauce my parents are using has itty bitty chunks of meat in it. I stop dead in my tracks. It's unlikely that this place uses two different kinds of marinara sauces...it would take up too much time. And since my plate is smothered with cheese and veggies, it's hard to see or notice the little bitty chunks. But sure enough, they're there. Microscopic, but there.

Don't think I don't pay attention or am careful with these things. I'm downright anal about them.

Horrified, I stopped eating in mid-chew, spat the torteglione concoction into my napkin, and did my best not to cry in public. But once we got in the car...oh man. Tears galore.

And of course, my parents didn't understand, thought I was overreacting, thought the whole ordeal was ridiculous and merely said "You'll live."

Sheesh. I wish I lived with a family that understood.

Anyway, that's my meatcident. What about yours?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-10-2007, 07:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Ew. I hate those things.

I think my most recent one was a few months ago when I bought chinese takeaway from somewhere that is not my usual takeaway place. I bought vegetables in black bean sauce, but at one point I bit into what was quite obviously a piece of meat. I spat it out and drank LOADS of water. I checked the whole of the rest of the takeaway and they hadn't got my order wrong, this little piece of meat must just have dropped in or something. I ate the rest, but I was grossed out.

I think that's the only 'meatcident' I've had actually, although I've noticed that the ingredients of something list a milk product while eating a couple of times.
#3 Old 03-10-2007, 07:57 AM
Veggie Regular

I have had this happen to me at my fiancé's best friend's graduation celebration.

My fiancé's best friend begged me to try a pasta dish his family made. He knew that I was 6 months vegan, so I trusted him not to give me something that isn't vegan.

There was meat in the sauce. I actually had to leave the park and drive all the way home because I felt extremely ill a short while later, and I puked my guts out [which was what revealed the meat].

He hasn't lived it down yet. That was last July.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-10-2007, 08:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by femme_aflame View Post

Ever had a "meatcident" (meat accident) where you're eating something and you had NO IDEA there was meat or a meat-derivative in it?

They're pretty horrible.

And I know it sounds like something that would happen to a careless, immature, unobservant newb vegetarian...but I'm sure even the most refined veg stumbles upon a meatcident.

I've gone veg for three years now, and it's happened to me several times...most recently, last night.

God, it was utterly terrible. I cried and ranted and everything.

Here's the story: Me and my parents go to an Italian "Ristorante" and I order the only veg option on the menu...Torteglione with Steamed Veggies and a Marinara Sauce. So I'm eating away at my plate, thinking that it was meat-free. Hooray, right? Wrong. I notice that the marinara sauce my parents are using has itty bitty chunks of meat in it. I stop dead in my tracks. It's unlikely that this place uses two different kinds of marinara sauces...it would take up too much time. And since my plate is smothered with cheese and veggies, it's hard to see or notice the little bitty chunks. But sure enough, they're there. Microscopic, but there.

Don't think I don't pay attention or am careful with these things. I'm downright anal about them.

Horrified, I stopped eating in mid-chew, spat the torteglione concoction into my napkin, and did my best not to cry in public. But once we got in the car...oh man. Tears galore.

And of course, my parents didn't understand, thought I was overreacting, thought the whole ordeal was ridiculous and merely said "You'll live."

Sheesh. I wish I lived with a family that understood.

Anyway, that's my meatcident. What about yours?

I'm sorry. It was just an accident, it's okay.
#5 Old 03-10-2007, 08:35 AM
Beginner

I'm so sorry.. it's terrible when something like that happens.

This past summer my mom got some fajitas from a street vendor that came with beans, she poked through them and promised me they were veg- I started eating them and found a huge chunk of bacon. I don't know if I ate any or not, I'm not sure if I would recognize the taste, but I was really disgusted and upset.
#6 Old 03-10-2007, 08:44 AM
Veggie Regular

About 1 month after I went veg my family ordered vietnamese food.

For some strange reason, they got both veggie spring rolls and meat spring rolls. They came in identical styrofoam containers, and my grandma cut the lids (which were labeled) off so they could fit on the table. The spring rolls looked different, so I trusted my grandma would be able to tell me which ones were vegetarian. Unfortunatly, she was wrong...

The evil non vegetarian spring roll also scratched my esophagus which resulted in x-rays and a few trips to the doctor.

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#7 Old 03-10-2007, 08:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy View Post

About 1 month after I went veg my family ordered vietnamese food.

For some strange reason, they got both veggie spring rolls and meat spring rolls. They came in identical styrofoam containers, and my grandma cut the lids (which were labeled) off so they could fit on the table. The spring rolls looked different, so I trusted my grandma would be able to tell me which ones were vegetarian. Unfortunatly, she was wrong...

The evil non vegetarian spring roll also scratched my esophagus which resulted in x-rays and a few trips to the doctor.

Ouchies!
#8 Old 03-10-2007, 08:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Don't worry, it happens, and it was an accident.

as far as the marinara sauce, i have never heard of marinara sauce with meat in it......if its labeled marinara, they labeled wrong and i would have told management.
#9 Old 03-10-2007, 09:15 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonoluvr View Post

Don't worry, it happens, and it was an accident.

as far as the marinara sauce, i have never heard of marinara sauce with meat in it......if its labeled marinara, they labeled wrong and i would have told management.

There's half a container of Ragù sauce in my fridge that my mom got me a while back. It has "flavored with BEEF!" in big letters on the container. Of course, I wasn't officially veggie at the time, but it still sorta weirds me out. Tomato sauce is delcious already, the bit of meat juice thrown in doesn't add anything to it in terms of nutrition or flavor, it's just adding dead cow. I just don't get the point of throwing tiny bits of meat into tasty and otherwise vegetarian foods.

On the same note, my mom got some more of the Maruchan Oriental Ramen even though I told her that I wanted Top Ramen instead because there's no beef broth. But then again, she also keeps buying me cheese ravioli.

Thankfully, Bobby (friend/current housemate) is taking me to get my driver's license soon, so I can start doing my own shopping.
#10 Old 03-11-2007, 10:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by isowish View Post

I think that's the only 'meatcident' I've had actually, although I've noticed that the ingredients of something list a milk product while eating a couple of times.

I usually realise somethings milky while its in the microwave. yay to omni housemates/boyfriends wholl happily eat my food.

havent had a 'meatcident' (i like that word!) for years. i dont think?

ages ago when i was still a lacto ovo i was eating pizza. me and my boyfriend are trampy and will buy a huge one each (any pizza any size 7.99 .... whod get small!) then live off it for a few days. and i swear my box was on one side, so took a bite of pizza then looked down. my tooth was SO close to a nice chunk o meat... but i escaped! ew [shudder]

i had loads of whey-that-could-have-rennet incidents for years though. never even knew to check it until id been veg 4 years.

oh and fanta, damn fanta.
#11 Old 03-11-2007, 01:07 PM
Veggie Regular

The worst was when I realized that Worcestshire sauce usually has anchovies in it. I didn't realize until I was about halfway through a second bottle of the stuff.

(Which makes it sound like I was drinking it...I wasn't...I just used it for scrambled tofu. Which is even more frustrating! Here I am, making a fabulous vegan breakfast, and all the while it had fish in it! Bleh.)
#12 Old 03-11-2007, 01:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh... ewwwww! Beatricious... that sucks.

Have you ever found vegetarian worcestshire sauce in your area?

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page