what is Seitan - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-04-2007, 08:36 PM
Veggie Regular

does anyone know what this is , it was a ingredent in the vege cookbook?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-04-2007, 09:41 PM
Veggie Regular

here's a pretty good explanation for you

http://vegetarian.about.com/od/glossary/g/Seitan.htm
#3 Old 03-04-2007, 09:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Wheat gluten - also called seitan (pronounced SAY-tahn), wheat meat, wheat-meat, wheatmeat, gluten meat, or simply gluten - is a foodstuff made from the gluten of wheat. It is made by washing dough made from wheat flour in water until the starch is rinsed away, leaving only the gluten, which can then be cooked and processed in various ways.

Wheat gluten, although not as well known, is an alternative to soy-based meat substitutes such as tofu; some types may taste even more like meat than tofu due to their chewy and/or stringy texture. It is often used in place of meat in Asian, vegetarian, Buddhist, and macrobiotic cuisines.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seitan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-04-2007, 11:28 PM
Veggie Regular

It is basically wheat protein. It feels more like meat than tofu, tofu is more cheese-like in texture compared to seitan. Most meat analouges are a mixture of tofu and seitan.
#5 Old 03-04-2007, 11:39 PM
Veggie Regular

is it healthy and is wheat germa healthy cereal?
#6 Old 03-05-2007, 12:30 AM
Veggie Regular

It's actually pretty healthy compared to real meat. Don't worry, it's not seitanic.
#7 Old 03-05-2007, 02:01 AM
Beginner

To me it always feels like I'm eating glue though I must be doing something really wrong with it!! Lol.
#8 Old 03-05-2007, 03:48 AM

Ooh, yeah. If it good seitan, it shouldn't definitely not be like glue. Have you tried any commercially prepared kinds wtc?

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#9 Old 03-05-2007, 07:01 PM
Beginner

Yeah, I bought one from the asian food store over here (it's the only commercial one we have) and it's only made from the flour and water I have a few more recipes to try, I think it's more the thought that I'm eating glue than anything! Lol (must have made too much glue for my kids!!)
#10 Old 03-06-2007, 02:55 AM

Well, if it helps, it's not made from flour, exactly. It's made from the gluten of the flour

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#11 Old 03-06-2007, 02:59 AM
Veggie Regular

That's right, the glue-ten... ha ha.

I love seitan. It's much healthier (less fat !) than all the "coated" mock meat patties sold in supermarkets. I also prefer the texture to tofu. I guess it's a question of personal taste. But I would say it is quite healthy, as long as you are not allergic to wheat and/or gluten !
#12 Old 03-06-2007, 04:46 AM
Beginner

Perhaps I shall call it that from now on I think I'll try a few more adventurous glue-ten recipes than I've been using and hopefully I can come to like it. If not well, it's just another food I don't like (I think I can't get past the idea that eating gluten and water will clog up my insides worse than a giant steak, not that I want to eat one of those either!)
#13 Old 03-06-2007, 08:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Neither will "clog your insides", but eating plenty of water and fiber will help everything through.
#14 Old 03-06-2007, 06:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Gluten/seitan is just the gluten, or protein, of wheat that is separated from the bran and the starch. It is chewy, and high in protein, so makes a good meat sub. It's not even remotely "glue-like"! You can make many imaginative versions from pure gluten flour (found in most stores as "Vital Wheat Gluten"), eliminating all the soaking , rising etc. that used to be necessary to make it from scratch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggieFrank View Post

It is made by washing dough made from wheat flour in water until the starch is rinsed away, leaving only the gluten, which can then be cooked and processed in various ways.

That's the long, slow, tedious and out-of-date way to make it...

Check out Bryanna Clark Grogan's recipes. She's the ultimate gluten recipe goddess...
#15 Old 03-06-2007, 08:13 PM
Beginner

I found a baked seitan recipe on PPK that looked pretty good so I've just got it out of the oven. It smells pretty awesome and hopefully once it's cooled down it'll taste as good as it smells! Maybe I just don't like boiled seitan.
#16 Old 03-07-2007, 09:32 AM
Beginner

it is delicious stuff. but in the UK extremely expensive! More so than Tempeh.

I'm trying to find somewhere that sells this Vital Wheat Flour in order to make some but can't locate any, anywhere.
#17 Old 03-07-2007, 10:53 AM
Veggie Regular

I made some for the first time this weekend. It was easy and delicious - have used it in an oriental stir-fry and fajitas, with very good results!
#18 Old 03-07-2007, 12:49 PM

Seitan rocks. I wouldn't recommend boiling it...baking and frying are the best
#19 Old 03-07-2007, 03:28 PM
Veggie Regular

ok you guys, you've inspired me. gonna have to make some this weekend.
#20 Old 03-07-2007, 03:49 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by acfj View Post

it is delicious stuff. but in the UK extremely expensive! More so than Tempeh.

I'm trying to find somewhere that sells this Vital Wheat Flour in order to make some but can't locate any, anywhere.

It's not called that in Aus. Over here it's simply labelled as Gluten Flour and is at most health food shops (some expensive some dirt cheap). Try looking for that. I nearly drove myself mad hunting for vital wheat gluten.

Oh and after baking my seitan yesterday, while I don't like the spices I used I highly recommend baking it! Boiling it is what made it rubbery and awful. The texture of the baked one is awesome! Even my super fussy omni kids were eating it off the roll!!
#21 Old 03-09-2007, 04:26 AM
Beginner

thanks, i've found a product called Gluten Powder - seems to be popular with Atkins dieters?!?! - which I think is the same. Will try making some!
#22 Old 03-09-2007, 04:44 AM

Hm. I'm not sure if gluten powder is the same as gluten flour. (ah, I see from Google that it's often called that in the UK)

#23 Old 03-09-2007, 10:38 PM
Beginner

Good luck!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page