what makes a good breakfast? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-03-2007, 07:17 PM
Veggie Regular

hi i know eating a good breakfast is needed ccan someone tell me roughly how many calories should be eaten for breakfast and than how many for the other meals and snacks?

what makes up a good breakfast?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-03-2007, 07:26 PM
Beginner

I have no idea how many calories to eat for breakfast, but you need something that will fill you up so you don't crave snacks during the morning!

If I'm in a hurry I will have a smoothie (shop bought) - Innocent smoothies are lovely - and they fill you up and are really healthy!

It's also not a good idea to eat sweet/sugary things for brekkie because your blood sugar level will go sky high and then plummet, making you hungry again (and could give you a headache).

if I could drag myself up out of bed any earlier I would probably make my own juice or smoothies!

"Be the change you wish to see in the world" ~ Mahatma Gandhi
#3 Old 03-03-2007, 07:27 PM
Beginner

oh and for your daily allowance you're meant to eat 2000 calories a day for a woman, and 2500 for a man. I probably eat twice that though, and still don't put on weight...

"Be the change you wish to see in the world" ~ Mahatma Gandhi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-03-2007, 07:30 PM
Veggie Regular

I generally shoot for 200-300 calories for breakfast with 10+ grams of protein. That is, when I can be bothered to actually eat breakfast at all...

Nec Aspera Terrent
#5 Old 03-03-2007, 08:18 PM
Beginner

my breakfast usually consists of kashi go lean cereal (which is high fiber/high protein) mixed with soymilk, fruit (blueberries, strawberries, etc.), and flaxseed. it's probably around 250 to 300 calories...very nutritious, very yummy and very filling.
#6 Old 03-03-2007, 08:24 PM
Veggie Regular

My breakfast is usually old fashioned oats cooked with rice milk with some sort of fruit and a small handful of toasted nuts in it depending on how much time I have and what I've got in the house. I don't eat breakfast on mornings I have to be places early because I'm generally too sick to eat before 10 or 11.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#7 Old 03-04-2007, 12:55 AM
Banned

"Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and dinner like a pauper"

If you can manage it, breakfast should be your biggest meal of the day.
#8 Old 03-04-2007, 02:23 AM
Veggie Regular

I think that it is different for each person. Some people function better with a huge breakfast - personally I don't - I can cope with either cereal or toast and vegemite, but HAVE to have some kind of hot drink. The craze at the moment is lemon and ginger tea. Wakes me up.

It is all about sorting out a plan that works for you specialk - if you find that you like dinner to be the biggest meal, then go for it. If you like to graze throughout the day, then go for that too. As long as you are making up the calories, and are making them up in a healthy way, then you shouldn't go too far wrong. My breakfasts are normally between 150 and 250, so it really varies.

The most important thing, though, is to have something hearty and nutritious that you enjoy.
#9 Old 03-04-2007, 02:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Include fresh fruit with every breakfast. You can't go wrong with fresh fruit. It goes with everything.

*this space not for sale*
#10 Old 03-04-2007, 04:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

Include fresh fruit with every breakfast. You can't go wrong with fresh fruit. It goes with everything.

I second this!
#11 Old 03-04-2007, 07:05 AM
Veggie Regular

My breakfasts are usually 300-450 calories; I prefer a hearty breakfast! However, I certainly do not advise counting calories. A few ideas...

Cereal with milk and a sliced banana, raisins, or other fresh or dried fruit

A bagel or toast with peanut butter and banana, jam, yeast extract or other spread

Breakfast burritos (bean and rice, peanut butter and fruit, or scrambled eggs/tofu)

Porridge with fresh or dried fruit

Muesli with milk or yoghurt

When I'm in a hurry, I try to grab some sort of grain (a bag of muesli, granola or cereal, a few oatcakes, toast, a bagel, wholegrain crackers), some fruit (fruit juice, dried or fresh fruit) and something with calcium in (a glass of dairy or nondairy milk, calcium-fortified fruit juice, yoghurt, a small piece of cheese, almonds, etc).

I eat when hungry throughout the day and do not count calories or ensure proper distribution; I've found that my body is able to do so naturally on its own.
#12 Old 03-04-2007, 07:23 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't really count the calories in my breakfast... Usually it's a pretty large bowl of whole grain cereal, a 12 oz glass of soymilk, and some kind of fruit. Sometimes I mix it up with whole grain waffles or toast or someting though.
#13 Old 03-04-2007, 07:27 AM
Veggie Regular

my breakfast often is a couple of granola bars or some cinnamon bread and a soy latte or steamed soymilk
#14 Old 03-04-2007, 08:41 AM
Veggie Regular

My breakfast tends to be something fairly small and portable, lately I eat things like:

PB&J or PB & banana on a slice of ww bread

Silk Live smoothie with a banana

Granola bar and a soy protein drink

Instant oatmeal with fresh fruit (blueberries, strawberries)
#15 Old 03-04-2007, 08:57 AM
Beginner

My staple breakfast is probably somewhere between 400 and 500 calories. Every morning I cook old-fashioned oats in water, with a handful of walnuts, a handful of raisins, a heaping spoonful of wheat germ and several spoonfuls of frozen blueberries. This is the only thing that will keep me going until lunch! Some days I'm too busy, and I'll just have cereal with milk. I'm starving in an hour or two.
#16 Old 03-04-2007, 10:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Yum, all of these breakfasts sound really good. I love breakfast, but don't always get to eat a proper one on the weekdays!

One thing that I really like is making a hot cereal out of Quinoa. I usually make up a huge batch of it at one time so I can refrigerate it and bring it to work in the morning for the week. It's really good because Quinoa is high in protien and other nutrients.

All you have to do is cook up the Quinoa according to the package instructions, and during the last few minutes of simmering add in raisins, chopped up apple, crushed walnuts, and cinnamon. Sugar is optional. It's really yummy and gives you all kinds of fruit and protien!

I also like fresh fruit with breakfast, I usually eat one or two pieces of it. Sometimes I'll take a banana and spread almond butter on it, which is delish. I also like soy yogurt, juice and tea along with my breakfast.

On the weekends whe I have more time, I sometimes make vegan pancakes or some tofu scramble.

~Julie

"I remember the days when we talked for hours/And we were young, we thought we had superpowers/We weren't our problems, our age or our paychecks/And we weren't taking anybody's $h*t."
#17 Old 03-04-2007, 10:40 AM
Veggie Regular

If I have time or leftovers, a tofu scramble is my fav.

Lately I have been on an Amy's bean and rice burrito for breakfast, although I also make my own to freeze sometimes.

If I'm not very hungry, I will make a package of either nature's path, or safeway organics flax + oats' oatmeal, and add in some walnuts.

I also love leftovers for breakfast, be it pizza, chinese or indian.

When I was eating dairy, my ultimate breakfast was a whole wheat bagel with herb and garlic cream cheese. I used to crave those so bad.....

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#18 Old 03-04-2007, 11:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy View Post

If I have time or leftovers, a tofu scramble is my fav.

Lately I have been on an Amy's bean and rice burrito for breakfast, although I also make my own to freeze sometimes.

If I'm not very hungry, I will make a package of either nature's path, or safeway organics flax + oats' oatmeal, and add in some walnuts.

When I was eating dairy, my ultimate breakfast was a whole wheat bagel with herb and garlic cream cheese. I used to crave those so bad.....

Tofutti makes a vegan garlic and herb cream cheese. I don't like their plain cream cheese, but I'd hope the garlic and herb flavors would dominate in this case.

--Fromper

#19 Old 03-04-2007, 12:51 PM
Veggie Regular

The Tofutti Garlic and herb stuff is really good.... not SUPER good for you, but quite tasty. I think I like it better than the dairy stuff.
#20 Old 03-04-2007, 02:49 PM
Veggie Regular

wow thanks guys this is great have heaps of ideas!
#21 Old 03-04-2007, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy View Post

So glad I'm not the only one.

That said, I usually just have some high-protein cereal with soy milk. Sometimes, if I'm feeling like I have time, I make a smoothie or a "fruit soup" (like a smoothie, but after I've made it, I pour it in a bowl and add things like chopped bananas, wheat germ, honey, etc. for texture).

I usually have a cup of tea (or hot choc) as well.

Another brekkie fave is mushy banana on crisp bread. Yum!
#22 Old 03-05-2007, 02:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Breakfast is my favourite meal of the day! There's nothing like waking up to a warm bowl of porridge and a mandarin.

Depending how you make it, that's what? 400-500kcal assumming your average mandarins about 50kcal?
#23 Old 03-05-2007, 06:44 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialK12 View Post

hi i know eating a good breakfast is needed ccan someone tell me roughly how many calories should be eaten for breakfast and than how many for the other meals and snacks?

what makes up a good breakfast?

Between 200-300 calories is about right for breakfast. Because I don't know how much exercise you get and your height or weight, I can't tell you anything else.

Here's an idea for a good breakast:

Toasted english muffin with peanut butter. Water or green tea and a banana on the side
#24 Old 03-05-2007, 08:06 AM
Beginner

I still eat egg and dairy, so for me i eat 2 egg beaters, 2 slices smart bacon, and 1 slice healthy life toast with cinamon and splenda. sometimes insted of the bacon ill do smart sasage or fruit.
#25 Old 03-05-2007, 08:47 AM
Veggie Regular

It just amazes me how many of you actually cook for breakfast. I'm lucky if I can drag myself out of bed early enough to grab a bowl of cereal or a bagel without being late for work. This is why I always keep granola bars in my desk at work. On weekends, I'll sometimes have a big breakfast, but that's more of a brunch thing, because I sleep late.

--Fromper

#26 Old 03-05-2007, 10:23 AM
Beginner

I'm definitely a breakfast person. Have to have a big breakfast to get me going and keep me going until lunch. Usually, on Sundays, I make up a batch or two of Southaven Farm muffins (you can see them at www.southavenfarm.com) using soy milk and tofu (so no dairy) and that way every morning, I can grab one and eat it with my soy yogurt and berries. I try to eat protein, fat, and carbs with every meal so this really works for me. Sometimes I'll add some smart bacon, if I'm in the mood. Weekends are usually pancakes with soy yogurt. Yikes, this is making me hungry.
#27 Old 03-05-2007, 10:46 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm a strong advocate of protein and complex carbs at breakfast. fresh fruit is a good too. no/little sugar.

Nec Aspera Terrent
#28 Old 03-05-2007, 11:04 AM

The key to my breakfast is to be full, that will last until lunch and no snack in between. I used to always have 2 slices of 9 grains bread (warmed) and a cup of coffee (approx. 8 oz with Nestle instant coffee and non-diary cream, no sugar). Yesterday I bought a scale and I gained 5 lbs in the past 2 months (holy molie!! I blame it on my recent emotional crisis and binge eating!!) So this morning I added in fruit (an apple) and just one slice of bread, and coffee. It's 11am now (I have lunch at 12pm) and I am still not hungry yet (yay!)

If I ever had the time in the future (e.g. retired), I would definitely cook a hearty breakfast (I must have something hot in the morning) such as oatmeal, with wheat germ, and throw in some fruits such as blueberries or chopped-up apple.
#29 Old 03-05-2007, 01:21 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm also a big fan of two breakfasts, a light early one when I first get up, and something more substantial an hour or two later.

Nec Aspera Terrent
#30 Old 03-05-2007, 02:29 PM
Veggie Regular

another question........ i have yoghurt and oats and friut OR baked beans and oats and fruit .......... should i change my oats to nuts or seeds?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page