what makes a good breakfast? - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 03-05-2007, 05:41 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenx0x0 View Post

oh and for your daily allowance you're meant to eat 2000 calories a day for a woman, and 2500 for a man. I probably eat twice that though, and still don't put on weight...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 03-05-2007, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialK12 View Post

another question........ i have yoghurt and oats and friut OR baked beans and oats and fruit .......... should i change my oats to nuts or seeds?

I would stick with oats; oats have many nutrients. Nuts and seed are in the "fat" category. Very moderate consumption is recommended by various health authorities.
#33 Old 03-05-2007, 05:55 PM
Veggie Regular

My breakfast probably ranges around 450 to 600 calories. I am one of those "three square meals" dudes, although I do find a good snack between lunch and dinner to work nicely.

Nuts, as some said - are fatty. However, the fats in nuts are good. You can easily eat two servings of nuts - on a well planned diet - without worrying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 03-05-2007, 08:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post

Tofutti makes a vegan garlic and herb cream cheese. I don't like their plain cream cheese, but I'd hope the garlic and herb flavors would dominate in this case.

--Fromper

Ughhhh... I 've tried the plain and Herb 'n Garlic Better Than Cream Cheese a few times. I find it odd tasting, and unsastisfying. Not to metion the hydrogenated oil.

For a bagel, I would rather just have some natural PB and fruit jelly.

Toffuti cuties on the other hand

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#35 Old 03-05-2007, 08:40 PM
Veggie Regular

I have a recipe for cream cheese, and while it has been quite a while - I believe that it tastes close to the same as dairy-ridden cream cheese.
#36 Old 03-05-2007, 09:16 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm a fan of a toasted bagel with miso and tahini for breakfast. Sounds weird, but it's really yummy and keeps me full until the afternoon.

I love a big Sunday brunch, though - pancakes, veggie bacon, tofu scramble, roasted potatoes, fresh fruit...breakfast is definitely the best meal of the day.
#37 Old 03-06-2007, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post

It just amazes me how many of you actually cook for breakfast. I'm lucky if I can drag myself out of bed early enough to grab a bowl of cereal or a bagel without being late for work.

That's me, too. I'm just not a morning person, so I'm all about the grab and go breakfast. I almost always grab something to eat at my desk. The quality of my breakfast on any given day has a lot to do with how late I'm running and how good the grabbable options are.

I often eat fruit, muffins, trail mix, yogurt, or dry cereal. Anything that requires no prep. If I miraculously have more time, I might have toast w/ PB&J or put oatmeal, soymilk, fruit & nuts in a container to microwave at work.
#38 Old 03-06-2007, 02:11 PM
Beginner

Haha... I'm awake, dressed, and out the door in under five minutes, so breakfast for me is always something like fruit and tea, dry cereal, or just a glass of juice. I've gotten in the habit of keeping fruit, granola bars and organic fruit leathers in my bag, so if I don't eat enough at breakfast I always have something to snack on, although I think I may want to ditch the fruit leathers. I love them, but latley even the smallest bit of sugar sends me into hyperactive orbit. ^.^
#39 Old 03-07-2007, 11:17 AM
Veggie Regular

i dont' go by calories, but often eat:

breakfast: fruit and eggs (2 hard boiled) for breakfast OR a berry smoothie with nut cream

snack: fruit and nuts

lunch: salad or soup (veggie, low starches)

snack: raw veggies and hummus dip or salsa

dinner: soup and salad (might have starch)

snack: steamed veggies.
#40 Old 03-07-2007, 12:12 PM

Fruit!
#41 Old 03-07-2007, 01:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

Include fresh fruit with every breakfast. You can't go wrong with fresh fruit. It goes with everything.

mmm... durian with pasta

lol, I dunno, just trying to think of a combination that wouldn't be good with fruit. I think durian would taste OK with pasta, if you're into that kind of thing, so I guess I failed.
#42 Old 03-08-2007, 07:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Holy poop. I just had breakfast - I usually have oatmeal with soymilk. But I was listening to one of the compassionate cooks podcasts about blueberries, and realized I had some nice, wild, organic ones in my freezer. So I cooked my oatmeal with some cinnamon and vanilla (mmm) and in the last minute or so, I added about 3/4 cup of blueberries. It was REALLY good, I would highly recommend it.

Oh - I also stirred in a spoonful of brown sugar before I put it in my bowl. Yumma.
#43 Old 03-09-2007, 07:53 AM
Super Moderator

At my work, we have "3 Bears"... it's Oatmeal served with milk, brown sugar, candied pecans, and raisins. The pecans, sugar and whole milk aren't the best, but my customers tell me it's very good.

I like McCann's Brown sugar oatmeal! Yummmmmmm!
#44 Old 03-09-2007, 09:45 AM
Veggie Regular

I love organic plain yogurt with some granola.
#45 Old 03-09-2007, 09:47 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookle View Post

But I was listening to one of the compassionate cooks podcasts about blueberries, and realized I had some nice, wild, organic ones in my freezer.

I'm glad you mentioned the Compassionate cook podcasts, I have subscribed and they are very interesting and informative. I love pod casts!
#46 Old 03-09-2007, 10:19 AM
Veggie Regular

For me, a good breakfast is something that keeps me full through the morning -- no small feat given that I walk to work (1 hour/5 km). No idea how many calories this is.
#47 Old 03-09-2007, 10:41 AM
Veggie Regular

I love smoothies but my biggest problem has always ben making too much smoothie for the container I have. I solved this problem by pouring the remainder into ice trays and freezing them. I store the frozen cubes in baggies and they are super-convenient for hurried mornings. The fun thing about this is if you don't label your cubes, it's kind of a smorgasborg of fruit smoothie fun. I once had a blackberry, strawberry, banana, carrot smoothie. Sooooo good!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page