Options at Panera Bread - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-02-2007, 08:52 AM
Super Moderator

I'm going to Panera for lunch today and am trying to figure out what I can eat. I was planning on getting the Portobello & Mozzarella Sandwich, but the cheese has rennet in it. I was thinking about getting it without the cheese. I just wanted to get some recommendations from my fellow veggies.

I don't like the Mediterranean Veggie, so that's completely out of the question. The soups are very good and the green tea is AMAZING
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-02-2007, 09:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

I'm going to Panera for lunch today and am trying to figure out what I can eat. I was planning on getting the Portobello & Mozzarella Sandwich, but the cheese has rennet in it. I was thinking about getting it without the cheese.

I'd go with that and get it without the cheese if it sounds like something you'd like. I always read through the menu and choose something that looks good, then take the meat/cheese off. Usually I can get them to add some extra cucumbers, tomatoes or onions in place of it. I love the Tuscan Chicken minus the chicken. It has greens, onions, tomatoes and some type of pesto spread. I add cucumbers and extra tomatoes.

There is a salad that's pretty good and doesn't have meat. It has mandarin oranges and walnuts in it. They also normally have 1 vegetarian soup.
#3 Old 03-02-2007, 09:34 AM

They usually have good veggie soups!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-02-2007, 05:58 PM
Veggie Regular

you can make many of the menu items veg*n by asking to omit cheese/meat/etc. I don't know the specific items. I haven't been to Panera in a while
#5 Old 03-02-2007, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator

I recommend the Portobello & Mozzarella without the Mozzarella It was gooooood!
#6 Old 03-02-2007, 06:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I recommend the Portobello & Mozzarella without the Mozzarella It was gooooood!

I'm surprised. The one time I ate there that's what I ordered and I thought it was terrible.
#7 Old 03-02-2007, 06:14 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandcuffedAngel View Post

I'm surprised. The one time I ate there that's what I ordered and I thought it was terrible.

What was wrong with it? I was very hungry when I ate it, so that may have contributed to the fact that I liked it so much.
#8 Old 03-02-2007, 06:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

What was wrong with it? I was very hungry when I ate it, so that may have contributed to the fact that I liked it so much.

I don't know. I love mushrooms to no end ... but theirs tasted funny to me ... and so it really didn't tickle my fancy much. I think it may have tasted better to me if it had a vegan sauce or something on it that goes good with mushrooms.

Maybe ours is just funny mushrooms. They could have been old or something.
#9 Old 03-02-2007, 06:25 PM
Veggie Regular

I was at Panera today and was told the Mushroom & Portabello sandwich cannot be made without the cheese, as they are wrapped pre-made and then just heated up.

Nevertheless, there are several great options at Panera. They have the Mediterranian Veggie Sandwich, which can be made without the feta. They also have at least 4 vegetarian soups, two of which are also vegan. Today, for example, they had Vegetarian Vegetable, Veggie Black Bean, and Veg Carrot Soup on the menu. So, for a tasty meal, you can get half of a Mediterranian Veggie sandwich and one of their veg soup options.

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#10 Old 03-02-2007, 07:11 PM
Veggie Regular

We don't have Panera where I live, but when there's one around, a bread bowl full of a vegan soup wins hands down.
#11 Old 03-02-2007, 08:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Does anyone know if their broccoli cheese soup uses an animal broth? I'm guessing it does, since it doesn't have the word 'vegetarian' in front of it like their veg soups.
#12 Old 03-02-2007, 08:23 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iria View Post

Does anyone know if their broccoli cheese soup uses an animal broth? I'm guessing it does, since it doesn't have the word 'vegetarian' in front of it like their veg soups.

i just checked their website, and yes, it uses a chicken based broth.

here's a link to their menu...they have the nutrition facts and ingredients for each item.

http://www.panera.com/menu/cafe/soups.php
#13 Old 03-03-2007, 12:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Damn it! A vegetarian friend of mine said it was made without any meat bases and I believed her... I just had this last week. Which explains the wierd feeling in my stomach whenever I do.... I'm such an idiot

*reminding myself to always always check for myself*
#14 Old 03-03-2007, 06:51 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by peace View Post

I was at Panera today and was told the Mushroom & Portabello sandwich cannot be made without the cheese, as they are wrapped pre-made and then just heated up.

Nevertheless, there are several great options at Panera. They have the Mediterranian Veggie Sandwich, which can be made without the feta. They also have at least 4 vegetarian soups, two of which are also vegan. Today, for example, they had Vegetarian Vegetable, Veggie Black Bean, and Veg Carrot Soup on the menu. So, for a tasty meal, you can get half of a Mediterranian Veggie sandwich and one of their veg soup options.

I actually read that on another post (I think by you) and since my bf and I shared it, I took my cheese off and gave it to him. The cheese didn't melt in at all, so it was sooo easy to take off.

Everytime I've had the Mediterranian Veggie, I ended up not eating it because it was so awful. They need more options on their menu just for vegetarians (no rennet or anything).

But they don't have all of their soups available everyday. Yesterday, the Black Bean soup wasn't an option. They had the vegetable soup (which tastes just like the one I have at my job) and the Tomato (which has corn syrup in it... yuck). If they had the black bean, I would have gotten it. My bf has had it before and said it's delicious!

I ended up just having the Portabello and Mozz (1/2) with the Fandango salad and an apple. Plus, yummy green tea. The tea filled me up, so I didn't eat too much of the salad.
#15 Old 03-03-2007, 06:53 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbnny View Post

Damn it! A vegetarian friend of mine said it was made without any meat bases and I believed her... I just had this last week. Which explains the wierd feeling in my stomach whenever I do.... I'm such an idiot

*reminding myself to always always check for myself*

Trust No one. :P I always check for myself... just in case. I can't stomach meat products either.
#16 Old 03-03-2007, 08:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricia soup View Post

i just checked their website, and yes, it uses a chicken based broth.

here's a link to their menu...they have the nutrition facts and ingredients for each item.

http://www.panera.com/menu/cafe/soups.php

I actually ate that a few months ago. It didn't occur to me until my next visit that it probably wasn't veg. Thanks for the link. I'll definitely check in the future.
#17 Old 03-03-2007, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandcuffedAngel View Post

I don't know. I love mushrooms to no end ... but theirs tasted funny to me ... and so it really didn't tickle my fancy much. I think it may have tasted better to me if it had a vegan sauce or something on it that goes good with mushrooms.

Maybe ours is just funny mushrooms. They could have been old or something.

I've had this sandwich before and I didn't care for it either. I thought the mushrooms seemed like canned. They had that rubbery, kind of slimy texture.

ETA I haven't been to a Panera in a while, but they have those new crispani things. Apparently they use cheese from a different supplier than for the portobello sandwich, because rennet isn't listed in the ingredients for those. And I think they make them while you wait, so you probably could get them w/out cheese if you wanted.
#18 Old 03-03-2007, 01:43 PM

Another vote for the Tuscan Chicken minus the chicken. I had them add cucumbers and avocado to it, and it was awesome.
#19 Old 03-03-2007, 02:34 PM
Veggie Regular

My favorite panera option is..... not to go there in the first place.

I'm a little curious why you're planning a trip to panera in advance. I could understand if you friends dragged you in there, but since you have the day to plan couldn't you choose a better restaurant?
#20 Old 03-03-2007, 02:51 PM

In this town, it's one of the better options.
#21 Old 03-03-2007, 08:57 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdufstuff View Post

My favorite panera option is..... not to go there in the first place.

I'm a little curious why you're planning a trip to panera in advance. I could understand if you friends dragged you in there, but since you have the day to plan couldn't you choose a better restaurant?

haha... I met my family there for lunch. The birthday girl, my niece, picked the spot.

I actually like that place. I think it's pretty darn good.
#22 Old 03-03-2007, 08:59 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zandria72 View Post

In this town, it's one of the better options.

Ditto. We have so many McDonalds, Jack in the box, Taco Bell, Carl's Jr, etc... all NASTY food I wouldn't even touch. Del Taco isn't bad, but definately not a healthy choice.

I live in a pretty big city, but it doesn't seem like we have a lot of good food places.
#23 Old 03-04-2007, 08:11 AM
Veggie Regular

I love Panera.

I also love that they label their vegetarian soups. If it doesn't say "vegetarian" on the label, then it's not.

I don't care for their sandwiches, so I usually get a salad with my soup, and almost always the Greek salad since that's my favorite.
#24 Old 03-04-2007, 08:35 AM
Veggie Regular

I like the Fandango salad sans chicken. At the one nearest me, they took it off the menu, but last time I was there, they still made if for me.

I like the Portabella/Mozzarella. The mushrooms do taste a little weird, but I think that's WHY I like it. I'm not a big mushroom fan, and they have kind of a tangy taste like they've been marinated in something, and I like the flavor better. I can't fathom getting it without the cheese though. Would that be just mushrooms on bread??

In the spring they also do a mushroom bisque that I love despite the fact that I don't like mushrooms.
#25 Old 03-04-2007, 01:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Exactly..I definately look forward to my trips to Panera and was thrilled when they built one near me.

Not everyone has access to veg*n restaurants...and Panera is one of the few chains that have tasty, easy-to-order, and filling vegan and vegetarian choices.

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#26 Old 03-04-2007, 01:39 PM

anyone know if you can get bagels at Panera with hummus? Einstein Bagels offers it, but I wasn't sure if Panera did as well.

tnx
#27 Old 03-04-2007, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesseract View Post

I like the Portabella/Mozzarella. The mushrooms do taste a little weird, but I think that's WHY I like it. I'm not a big mushroom fan, and they have kind of a tangy taste like they've been marinated in something, and I like the flavor better. I can't fathom getting it without the cheese though. Would that be just mushrooms on bread??

In the spring they also do a mushroom bisque that I love despite the fact that I don't like mushrooms.

Yeah, I liked the Mushrooms too. I liked the grilled onions and basil too I don't think it would taste much different with cheese... you usually can't taste it when it's on a sandwich anyway, especially with so many overwhelming flavors.
#28 Old 03-04-2007, 07:03 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by peace View Post

Exactly..I definately look forward to my trips to Panera and was thrilled when they built one near me.

Not everyone has access to veg*n restaurants...and Panera is one of the few chains that have tasty, easy-to-order, and filling vegan and vegetarian choices.

Definately!

We have a place in the Inland Empire (Cali) called Baker's Drive thru. They have a HUGE selection of vegetarian and vegan foods, mostly mexican. Very good. They use Boca crumbles and patties.
#29 Old 03-04-2007, 07:06 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassy~veg View Post

anyone know if you can get bagels at Panera with hummus? Einstein Bagels offers it, but I wasn't sure if Panera did as well.

tnx

I'm sure you can. They have bagels (the best Whole Grain ones) for sure. I know they have the cilantro hummus... I don't know about other hummus flavors. Right now, the Panera site is down, so I can't look it up

www.panerabread.com

When you read this, check to see if the site is up.
#30 Old 03-05-2007, 02:01 PM
Veggie Regular

I really like this place. I think it's one of the best if you want something quick.

My favorite which everybody hates is the Mediterranean sandwich. I get half of that and half veggie soup.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page