Vegetarians who eat fish (are not vegetarians!) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-22-2007, 01:07 PM
Veggie Regular

I heard someone today saying they were vegetarian and then they said they ate fish. I explained to them that fish are dead so they are a "non meater eater". I got criticised for this and yet The Vegetarian Society have a campaign at the moment trying to get the message across that vegetarians don't eat fish!

Would you say the same thing to someone?

Eating out is hard enough because so many people go to restaurants claiming to be vegetarian and then ordering fish. It gives out the wrong message to restaurant owners and chefs and when real vegetarians eat out they discover the vegetarian option IS fish!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-22-2007, 01:15 PM
Veggie Regular

I would say they were "a person who doesn't eat land animals." Thats how I reffered to myself when I stopped eating red meat and poultry, but continued to eat fish and seafood.
#3 Old 02-22-2007, 01:26 PM

Gah! Yes, that bothers me so much too! I mean, it's good that some people try to cut out at least some animals from their diets, but they shouldn't be calling themselves vegetarians. Usually I've found that the people who do that are the same ones who try really hard to appear "alternative." It's an image thing, especially for teenagers.

Unfortunately I'm usually too shy to say anything to people like that, or I feel like I'm butting into a conversation by saying anything. Plus, I don't really like to divulge that I'm a vegetarian when I don't have to, since it always ends with the same stupid questions. I know, I should get over that shyness thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-22-2007, 01:34 PM
Veggie Regular

My friend (who is a meat eater) gets really angry when people call themselves vegetarians but eat fish. He calls them "trendy vegetarians". It's true, he's right!
#5 Old 02-22-2007, 01:43 PM

I would have said "Oh, so you're a pescetarian!"
#6 Old 02-22-2007, 04:14 PM
Veggie Regular

i have encountered this a few times. it depends on the person/situation how i've reacted, but it certainly is irritating. irritating because it gives omnis a false idea of what is acceptable food and why, irritating because it gives ammo to the anti-veg pundits, and irritating because it's self delusional to the proclaimer.

if i believe the pescatarian is open to it, i would try to educate them in a non-judgmental spirit. give them the information, and hopefully they would strike a good decision.
#7 Old 02-22-2007, 04:54 PM
Beginner

This annoys me too! Or what is even more annoying - people who say "I'm a vegetarian, I just eat chicken and fish though. Chickens are stupid". (What a co-worker said to me.) Well then you're not a vegetarian at all are you!!!

"Be the change you wish to see in the world" ~ Mahatma Gandhi
#8 Old 02-22-2007, 05:08 PM

I once had a hairdresser tell me that he was vegetarian as well and that he only ate fish, chicken, and pork. HA! I would have set him straight but he had scissors next to my ear.
#9 Old 02-22-2007, 05:26 PM
Veggie Regular

you've got to know when to hold em. know when to fold em. know when to walk away. know when to run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness22 View Post

I would have set him straight but he had scissors next to my ear.

#10 Old 02-22-2007, 06:40 PM
Veggie Regular

grrr!! i once worked with a guy who kept telling me "you know, you can be vegetarian and still eat fish right?" odd since he worked at a university doing somthing with aquaculture

you would think he would know that fish arent vegetables....
#11 Old 02-22-2007, 06:48 PM

A friend of mine (after discovering I was vegetarian) offered to cook me the best fish I'd ever tasted... sweet enough offer, I said I don't eat fish and then got the whole "but vegetarians still eat fish!" oh well, I corrected them, and politely declined the offer, all is well.
#12 Old 02-22-2007, 06:57 PM
Veggie Regular

i've informed such people that they are not vegetarian by definition, and when they get angry, i mention that i'm not responsible for the definition of the term. i simply assert what the term is and what it's definition is. and you either fit the definition or you don't.

as an example, i stated 'there is a definition for the term 'medical doctor'--and it is specific. i could call myself a medical doctor all thati wanted, but considering my training and experience do not fit that definition, it would be inappropriate to do so. the same is true of using the term vegetarian while continuing to eat meat.'
#13 Old 02-22-2007, 08:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by avocado View Post

you would think he would know that fish arent vegetables....

Neither are cheese or eggs.

#14 Old 02-22-2007, 10:06 PM
Beginner

i recently met a veg*an chick who said she was veg, and part of peta but she eats fish cause she said she doesn't feel sorry for them.
#15 Old 02-22-2007, 10:34 PM

When I told my mom that I was going to be Vegetarian, she ask if I wanted salmon for dinner.

That angry me!
#16 Old 02-22-2007, 10:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness22 View Post

I once had a hairdresser tell me that he was vegetarian as well and that he only ate fish, chicken, and pork. HA! I would have set him straight but he had scissors next to my ear.

Ha! My dentist also told me something similar. "I'm a vegetarian too! Oh, but you don't eat fish? Oh I eat fish!" Sorta hard to correct someone who is holding sharp objects in your gums.
#17 Old 02-22-2007, 11:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonAmy View Post

Neither are cheese or eggs.

Vegan foods like fruit or grain are not vegetables as well.
#18 Old 02-22-2007, 11:24 PM
Veggie Regular

If someone asks me if I eat fish, I ususally mention the fish plant/tree. I find it annoying that pescatairans give all the other omnis a misconception when they boast about being a vegetarian. I think this misconception comes down to the Roman Catholic Church allowing fish on "Meatless Fridays".
#19 Old 02-23-2007, 02:42 AM
Beginner

One of my Besties has a sister who insists that there are two types of vegetarians: The ones who eat chicken and fish and the ones who eat only veggies. Guess which one she is.

It kinda makes you wonder... where did lacto-ovo, and lacto, and vegan, and fruitarian, and all other types dissappear to? Aren't they all types of vegetarians too? I would have said she was a selective omnivore...
#20 Old 02-23-2007, 05:38 AM

fish isn't meat by definition, thats why people get confused. I long since stopped correcting poeple who call themsevles veggies and eat fish or poultry. I jus say that I don't eat fish cos it's full of heavy metals, is liable to give you brain damage and make you stupid lol
#21 Old 02-23-2007, 05:50 AM
Veggie Regular

it is meat by definition--from dictionary.com--meat is "the flesh of animals as used for food." since fish are animals, and their flesh is eaten as food, fish are meat.

interestingly enough, nuts are also 'meat'--or rather "the edible part of anything, as a fruit or nut: Crack the walnuts and remove the meats."
#22 Old 02-23-2007, 07:28 AM

This seems like a hot topic! Why does it upset you so much?

I told a friend how I was whittling meat out of my diet and that as of this week I wasn't going to continue eating fish. She told me the hasn't been eating meat for years, only fish. We talked about that wierd comment for a while but it didn't really upset me or make me feel like "how dare she say she doesn't eat meat!" which it seems is the case here.

What upsets you about these mistaken people?
#23 Old 02-23-2007, 08:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whimsy View Post

Because

A) Fish are being treated as an exception, when they suffer just as much as pigs, cows etc.

B) It demeans vegetarianism.
#24 Old 02-23-2007, 09:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne_D View Post

Because

A) Fish are being treated as an exception, when they suffer just as much as pigs, cows etc.

B) It demeans vegetarianism.

one could also say:

A) Dairy/Eggs are being treated as an exception, when dairy calves and hens suffer more than pigs, cows etc.
#25 Old 02-23-2007, 09:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by troub View Post

one could also say:

A) Dairy/Eggs are being treated as an exception, when dairy calves and hens suffer more than pigs, cows etc.

They're not an exception in regards to vegetarianism.
#26 Old 02-23-2007, 09:28 AM
Veggie Regular

The proof you used is one of ethics. Ethics used as a proof in regards to diet is naturally extended to the entire diet.

It's easier to just say fish are animals - and vegetarians don't eat animals.
#27 Old 02-23-2007, 09:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by troub View Post

The proof you used is one of ethics. Ethics used as a proof in regards to diet is naturally extended to the entire diet.

It's easier to just say fish are animals - and vegetarians don't eat animals.

But not everyone's ethics regarding their diet goes beyond meat processing. Vegetarianism is still an ethical decision in some cases, which is why fish must be acknowledged like any other animal processed into food. That's what I was trying to say.

Jeez...some people are so confrontational here.
#28 Old 02-23-2007, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggielove View Post

Ha! My dentist also told me something similar. "I'm a vegetarian too! Oh, but you don't eat fish? Oh I eat fish!" Sorta hard to correct someone who is holding sharp objects in your gums.

Hahaha. Maybe they do that to us on purpose. Just to watch us squirm. Why is it that dentists always feel the urge to talk to you when you have pieces of metal holding your mouth open?
#29 Old 02-23-2007, 11:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne_D View Post

But not everyone's ethics regarding their diet goes beyond meat processing.

Then likewise one could say "but not everyone's ethics regarding their diet goes beyond the flesh of mammals and birds".

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#30 Old 02-23-2007, 12:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whimsy View Post

This seems like a hot topic! Why does it upset you so much?

I told a friend how I was whittling meat out of my diet and that as of this week I wasn't going to continue eating fish. She told me the hasn't been eating meat for years, only fish. We talked about that wierd comment for a while but it didn't really upset me or make me feel like "how dare she say she doesn't eat meat!" which it seems is the case here.

You haven't been living vegetarian for very long so you haven't experienced this:

You: "Will there be a vegetarian option for me?"

Them: "Sure, you can have a tuna sandwich."

This is why we get upset.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page