the value of videos - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-14-2007, 07:20 PM
Veggie Regular

THis is a tanget off "do people rub stuff in your face"...

Are the meet your meat and related graphic films truely useful for getting people to become or stay with a veg*an lifestyle?

I'm from before these films (1980 was my last flesh) so I don't see how they are useful, but I want to know if you feel they are needful, and if so why.

If not, also why?

personally, I simply questioned if I had the right to ask that a senient being surrender its life for me. My answer was no.

I see that as different from the comparisons to slavery and the Shoah.

It simply isn't my place since I didn't create that life.

(and, no, I would not dine on my child. so keep that trollish question at bay )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-14-2007, 07:37 PM
Veggie Regular

The problem with some of the videos is that they highlight abuses and so people might give up veg*nism when they find out about ways of "producing" meat or whatever without those abuses.

On the other hand, I think they are a good wake-up call to how humans treat other species - something which is largely hidden and ignored in society. After you "wake up", you may believe not only that the abuses you see are wrong but that all exploitation is wrong.

In short, I think they're effective and a good idea.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#3 Old 02-14-2007, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truepeacenik View Post

Are the meet your meat and related graphic films truely useful for getting people to become or stay with a veg*an lifestyle?

Yes. Many people have gone veg*n after watching such videos.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-14-2007, 07:55 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

They're possibly useful in the right circumstances but frankly there are far better ways to support vegetarianism. I find the fervour with which some "vegetarians" push these videos on to people quite disturbing. It's one thing to desire to change people's minds and ethics, it's another to gleefully show a snuff video to everyone you can think of. I did not see any videos before going veg. and do not find them useful in staying veg.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#5 Old 02-14-2007, 08:04 PM
Beginner

I think they have their place but disagree with them being pushed at people sometimes. Animal Rights was a huge part of my decision to become veg, I attempted to watch meet your meat if only because I'd read so much about it but I only made it through about the first 2 minutes because I couldn't handle watching it. I now make an effort to never view content such as that. I don't need it to keep me veg either.
#6 Old 02-14-2007, 08:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiz View Post

They're possibly useful in the right circumstances but frankly there are far better ways to support vegetarianism. I find the fervour with which some "vegetarians" push these videos on to people quite disturbing. It's one thing to desire to change people's minds and ethics, it's another to gleefully show a snuff video to everyone you can think of.

I see it the same way. I used to know someone who would show the vids to people without warning them what it was about for the extra shock value. I don't remember it converting anyone but I do remember it upset them a fair bit.

m8itcanw8.com
#7 Old 02-14-2007, 08:40 PM

Well, for me.. it was something I needed to see b/c I didn't really understand how truly bad it was. I just didn't.

People just don't know the truth and as they say "seeing is believing" sometimes the visuals are needed.
#8 Old 02-14-2007, 08:49 PM
Veggie Regular

people in general are a lot more desensitized to just about everything. a lot more so than 25 years ago. sometimes it takes a little bit more to separate an animal dying in a video game and an animal dying in real life.
#9 Old 02-14-2007, 09:00 PM
Veggie Regular

I have such a hard time with these images of cruelty. Just now I was unlucky enough to stumble onto one, and I just feel sick, and so angry. But, I do think that they may be useful for some particularly skeptical omni-folk.
#10 Old 02-14-2007, 09:01 PM
Veggie Regular

And here - another thread about this....

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ad.php?t=66576

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page