I want to start using my oven more - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-06-2007, 10:35 AM

I never touch my oven but I realized the other day that I should start using it more to cook lunch or dinner or what not.

Does anyone have any good recipes that are good beginner ones for someone trying to use the oven for their first time? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-06-2007, 10:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Lasagne - any old tomato pasta sauce, mix of whatever veggies/mock meat that you like, mock cheese sauce (if vegan), and lasagne sheets. Bake in oven. EASY!

Or, try enchalidas - basically baked burritos

Or, again, any kind of cassarole/ curry will cook well in the oven - for a casserole, veggies, beans, gravy and serve with mash, for curry veggies, beans/mock meat, homemade or shop bought curry sauce and canned cherry tomatos, and cook gently for an hour or so, until the veggies are done, and serve with rice or naan/ chappati.

Or, you could take up baking!!!
#3 Old 02-06-2007, 11:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Oven? Is that the big box under the stove top?

--Fromper

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-06-2007, 12:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Roasted veggies--toss vegetable(s) of choice (potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, onions, garlic, squash, peppers, zucchini, yellow squash, beets, etc) with vegetable oil, salt, pepper, and herbs (dried or fresh) and bake in a preheated oven at 450 degrees until tender (time will vary based upon vegetables used and how they're cut).

Baked pastas. Boil pasta (ziti works well) until almost tender, toss with plenty of sauce and veggies, top with cheese and bake at 400 degrees until bubbly and cheese is melted (I like my cheese golden brown).
#5 Old 02-08-2007, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post

Oven? Is that the big box under the stove top?

--Fromper

hehe exactly...I never cook...hehe
#6 Old 02-08-2007, 11:46 PM
Veggie Regular

You could use it in a variety of ways:

--To store infrequently used pots and pans.

--To hold up the stove.

--To dry your clothes.

--To hold up the surface on which you place your groceries before putting them away.

--To dry marijuana when the dehydrator's not working.

--Against spanking? OK, the kid can sit in a cold oven for an hour.

--And last but certainly not least, to make no-bake cookies.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#7 Old 02-09-2007, 04:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylark View Post

You could use it in a variety of ways:

--To store infrequently used pots and pans.

--To hold up the stove.

--To dry your clothes.

--To hold up the surface on which you place your groceries before putting them away.

--To dry marijuana when the dehydrator's not working.

--Against spanking? OK, the kid can sit in a cold oven for an hour.

--And last but certainly not least, to make no-bake cookies.

Thanks, I needed that!
#8 Old 02-09-2007, 08:08 AM
Veggie Regular

The first things my mom started me out on for using the oven was something glamorous like French Fries - just heating them up. I now use my oven mostly for baking - cornbread, cookies, bread, cakes, muffins. For meal-type things, I make lasagna, a noodle/veggie casserole (I found that recipe in Vegetarian Times Low Fat and Fast) and other casseroles, baking squash, quiche, baked potatoes, etc. It seems so obvious to me, but if you really haven't used the oven all that much, it might be worth it to say that using the oven buys you time right before dinner - you mix something up, put it in the oven, and then wait. If you're short on time (or short on patience), the oven probably isn't going to be that useful for you, because you simply have to wait.
#9 Old 02-09-2007, 04:25 PM
Veggie Regular

"Oven fries": Cut up potatoes and/or any root vegetable, toss them in canola or peanut oil and bake on 400F until they're soft on the inside (30 minutes or more). Yummy!
#10 Old 02-09-2007, 04:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post

Thanks, I needed that!

You're welcome! I come up with my best stuff when I'm avoiding doing something IRL.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#11 Old 02-09-2007, 04:39 PM
Banned

You vegan or veggie?
#12 Old 02-10-2007, 12:13 PM
Veggie Regular

I am so with the OP on merits of OH WHAT THE OVEN, and the thought to self of "is it there for a reason type thinking?" , and thats even if I had an oven, I haven't had one for a long time. Bad bad my self injustice. (long story anyway) I'm still working on getting a microwave instead which I guess could work out better than a full size oven. Nothing against big ovens if you have the room of course.

Hey what say you get an "Arga" or whatever they're called? (the huge domestic ovens)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page