The if you are not morally opposed to eating something, then eat it thread. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-31-2007, 06:44 PM
Veggie Regular

I find this viewpoint amusing.

Ok when we went to Mass moca, my fahter says, Are you morally opposed to eating clams.

No, not really.

So why don't you eat the clam chowder then?.

Because it's not food to me, I'm not morally opposed to eating cockroaches and I don't eat them either.

So I guess with this viewpoint, you will eat anything as long as it's morally acceptable whether one considers it a food item for your species or not.

Oh and I often mention insects when I get asked these types of questions because insects are part of a natural diet for many primates.

Could just as well go with are you morally opposed to eating sawdust?...no...Ok why don't you do it then?.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-31-2007, 06:59 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't eat raisins, but that's because I don't like them. It has nothing to do with my morals. I won't touch burned popcorn, either, but it's not out of respect for the over-done kernals.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#3 Old 01-31-2007, 07:12 PM

Yeah I've gotten that already today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-31-2007, 07:16 PM
Beginner

I get that a lot too, and I simply say that I don't like it or don't want to eat it. It's that- I don't like meat. I don't like the taste or the consistancy and I have no desire to eat it.

It's kind of annoying though when people ask me "well if animals weren't alive would you eat them?" I mean seriously, what kind of question is that? I also get "well plants are alive!"... ugh
#5 Old 02-01-2007, 10:57 AM
Veggie Regular

I love when my friends offer me a sweet or something and I say "no thanks" and they practically force it on me, saying things like "but there's so many things you can't eat - you should take everything you can get!"
#6 Old 02-01-2007, 03:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylark View Post

I don't eat raisins, but that's because I don't like them. It has nothing to do with my morals. I won't touch burned popcorn, either, but it's not out of respect for the over-done kernals.

ohhh man... i love lightly burnt popcorn!!

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#7 Old 02-01-2007, 03:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Most people give me lectures about milk and dairy, and I let them go on for a while before I tell them I'm lactose intolerant. Then they say that in that case it should be fine, which totally annuls all other arguments they have just made about the 'necessity' of dairy.
#8 Old 02-01-2007, 04:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nori_roll View Post

"well if animals weren't alive would you eat them?"

#9 Old 02-01-2007, 04:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by isowish View Post

I love when my friends offer me a sweet or something and I say "no thanks" and they practically force it on me, saying things like "but there's so many things you can't eat - you should take everything you can get!"

When I say "no thanks", I get a defensive "But there isn't MEAT in it!" Apparently, I should be perpetually hungry and accept all things offered, so long as it doesn't contain meat.
#10 Old 02-01-2007, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrum42 View Post

When I say "no thanks", I get a defensive "But there isn't MEAT in it!" Apparently, I should be perpetually hungry and accept all things offered, so long as it doesn't contain meat.

sooo agree like when I am offered hummus which i dont like and politely say No Thanx and get the I thought all people like you are supposed to like anything that isnt animal based...too crazy!!
#11 Old 02-02-2007, 07:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

ohhh man... i love lightly burnt popcorn!!

You sound like my neighbor in the dorms...

She intentionally burns every single bag of popcorn...

(and I must admit, I'm starting to like it )

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page