Healthy morning beverage ideas (quitting coffee) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-30-2007, 07:08 AM

HI all. I am going to attempt to give up my morning coffee. Now that I am eating a healthier diet I am noticing that after my morning 3 cups of coffee, I don't feel so good. I tend to be slightly on the hypoglycemic side and the coffee really messes with my appetite making me want to gorge myself until I finally feel my low bloodsugar back up to normal....I get shakey too. I just thought it was me (duh!) but now that I am paying attention I think it is the coffee.

Thios morning I am having tea, but wondering what you favorite morning beverages are.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-30-2007, 07:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Well I'm a coffee drinker myself so I know what you're going through. It's very difficult to give up (actually I gave up on giving up). When I don't drink coffee in the morning, I like to blend soy milk with a couple bananas. Orange juice is good too. I like the fresh taste of it.

It's not in what you say, it's in what you do (Oasis)

Feeling bored? Why don't you wander over to my blog sometime. http://thebohemiankitchen.wordpress.com
#3 Old 01-30-2007, 08:19 AM
Beginner

I have Horlicks or Ovaltine - I know these are bedtime drinks, but they are full of vitamins and slow release sugars.

Yum!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-30-2007, 08:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Tea or smoothies are my favorites if I'm not having coffee. I really like Chai, but then if I pick that, I have to resist dropping an espresso shot into it.
#5 Old 01-30-2007, 08:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Red Bull is a "natural health product".
#6 Old 01-30-2007, 08:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Tap water works for me.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#7 Old 01-30-2007, 09:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Tea is my favourite morning go-to if I can't have coffee. Celestial seasonings makes a chai spice tea that is SCRUMMY in the morning. Their white tea with pear is lovely, too - so very delicate. Otherwise, I'll reach for apple cider (hard free ) or some chocolaty plant milk (usually almond or soy).

I love the idea of having a smoothie or blended salad in the morning, but I'm usually not alert enough to actually make one at that hour.
#8 Old 01-30-2007, 10:27 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm a coffee drinker, so I don't really know what to "replace" it with, but I like orange juice and especially sanguinello (um, I think that's what it's called...'blood orange' juice) in the morning sometimes. Water, as well. If you want a hot drink and aren't into herbal teas (ugh) and stuff, orange squash made with hot water instead of cold is pretty good.
#9 Old 01-30-2007, 10:40 AM

Dace- For various reasons I'm trying to give up coffee too (again!!) I wish I didn't have to but it really doesn't agree with me despite the fact that I LOVE it!! Such a shame

Anyway when I'm trying to give it up I drink tea -both regular and herbal. If you look in the health food store you should find lots of interesting teas that might capture your interest so you won't miss coffee so much. I also read that hot water with lemon is very refreshing and cleansing in the morning.
#10 Old 01-30-2007, 10:46 AM
Veggie Regular

I usually have some sort of juice (orange, guava, mango) or milk (1% or chocolate). If I'm not running late, I like to have tea.
#11 Old 01-30-2007, 10:54 AM
Veggie Regular

You can try Teeccino! It's actually quite good and available at Whole Foods and the like. It's an herbal, caffeine free coffee substitute that you perk through your coffee pot
#12 Old 01-30-2007, 12:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vggiegirl View Post

You can try Teeccino!

I kept trying, but I can't seem to get this stuff down. I finally gave up all hope of acquiring a taste for it and started drinking more green tea instead.
#13 Old 01-30-2007, 12:23 PM
Veggie Regular

You COULD try decaf. I know that in most coffee shops there is still a little caffeine left in the decaf, but none/less if you get espresso. (even the amount in the drip decaf in negligible.) I usually get a double decaf americano, as I don't want to have caffeine as a result of feeding my bébé. You can choose how much water they add to adjust how strong you like it. Even if you take it quite weak, espresso has such a good, creamy, nutty flavor. Deeeelish.
#14 Old 01-30-2007, 12:34 PM
Veggie Regular

oh, and I forgot to say: good luck!
#15 Old 01-30-2007, 01:57 PM
Veggie Regular

you could try making fruit smoothies or green smoothies. or if you have a juicer, make fruit juices, green juices.

i can't really think of anything thinner than a smoothie, other than water.
#16 Old 01-30-2007, 02:28 PM
Veggie Regular

In japan they drink miso broth in the morning, I do that quite a bit, or I'll drink it all day if I'm sick. It's a nice easy "wake up" to my system, no caffene.
#17 Old 01-30-2007, 02:37 PM

you all gave me some great food for thought, I appreciate your input

This morning I had green tea, which still has caffeine(sp) but I picked up some lemons and tomorrow I will try hot lemony water.

Thanks again!
#18 Old 01-30-2007, 03:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Another nice 'wake-up' drink is some good tomato juice (store-bought). If you work-out in the morning, this is an especially nice after-workout beverage. Mmmm!

I (when it's a non-workout morning) usually drink a caffeine free mint tea (very refreshing and helps you wake up--promise!) or some Earl Grey if I feel like I need caffeine. But I'm pretty much off the coffee now. So proud of myself!
#19 Old 01-30-2007, 03:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiewriter View Post

I (when it's a non-workout morning) usually drink a caffeine free mint tea (very refreshing and helps you wake up--promise!) or some Earl Grey if I feel like I need caffeine. But I'm pretty much off the coffee now. So proud of myself!

For what reason, other than caffeine, would you want to stop drinking coffee?
#20 Old 01-30-2007, 03:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Smoothies Mmm
#21 Old 01-30-2007, 04:03 PM
Veggie Regular

I like Teecino as well, but it's definitely an acquired taste. I found it most palatable mixed with lots of soy milk (akin to a soy latte). These days I'm back on real coffee in the coffee (one cup), but drink either Tazo Zen green tea blend or Celestial Seasonings Madagascar Vanilla Red tea any other time I want something other than water. Both are incredibly delicious.
#22 Old 01-30-2007, 04:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookle View Post

For what reason, other than caffeine, would you want to stop drinking coffee?

I'm cutting down on coffee for a reason other than caffeine: calories. I only like my coffee if it has creamer or quite a bit of milk in it. If I liked black coffee then this wouldn't be an issue.
#23 Old 01-30-2007, 04:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorningCalm View Post

I like Teecino as well, but it's definitely an acquired taste. I found it most palatable mixed with lots of soy milk (akin to a soy latte).

Apparently, I'm not adept at acquiring that taste. Maybe the OP will have a better experience though.

Quote:
These days I'm back on real coffee in the coffee (one cup), but drink either Tazo Zen green tea blend or Celestial Seasonings Madagascar Vanilla Red tea any other time I want something other than water.

That's pretty much what I'm doing, right down to the type of teas! I love the Madagascar Vanilla Red. I have a big container of loose leaf red tea and I'm going to try putting a couple of drops of vanilla extract into my cup when I make it. Maybe it will be the same.
#24 Old 01-30-2007, 05:01 PM

Water and smoothies.
#25 Old 01-30-2007, 05:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrum42 View Post

I'm cutting down on coffee for a reason other than caffeine: calories. I only like my coffee if it has creamer or quite a bit of milk in it. If I liked black coffee then this wouldn't be an issue.

I see....
#26 Old 01-30-2007, 05:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dace View Post

Thios morning I am having tea, but wondering what you favorite morning beverages are.

Coca-Cola.

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#27 Old 01-30-2007, 10:28 PM

Coca-Cola?

Now Peace...I think I asked for heathy beverage ideas!
#28 Old 01-30-2007, 11:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Try chicory. It tastes like coffee and is caffeine free.

A good caffeine-free substitute for sweetened tea is about one tablespoon of strawberry/raspberry syrup in hot water with a lemon wedge.

If you want to disregard caffeine content and focus on overall healthiness then drink black coffee/unsweetened tea. In moderation they have been shown to have heath benefits due to a group of compounds called polyphenol antioxidants.
#29 Old 01-31-2007, 05:47 PM
Banned

Try rooibos tea from Africa. It has a nice taste.
#30 Old 01-31-2007, 10:15 PM
Veggie Regular

I always have a glass of orange juice in the morning.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page