switching from soy milk to dairy? - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 01-26-2008, 01:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggythefrog View Post

You might find out you're intolerant to dairy, and you'd be supporting an industry that treats cows and calves inhumanely.

I agree, but I've been chastised for saying such things anywhere that is not the "vegan" area!

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 01-26-2008, 01:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by *AHIMSA* View Post

I agree, but I've been chastised for saying such things anywhere that is not the "vegan" area!

Oops. You're correct. Striking that.
#33 Old 01-26-2008, 03:55 PM
Veggie Regular

There's nothing wrong with switching to milk if you feel you are getting too much soy. All things in moderation. I have enough dairy between cheese and yogurt. So I make my own soy milk. Whatever works for you.

Lynn

https://www.facebook.com/vigilant20

https://www.facebook.com/FrugalVegetarianRecipes

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 01-27-2008, 08:52 AM
Veggie Regular

i won't drink regular milk, but i still eat it in yogurt and cheese form.. but that's about it. i'm working on it, but it's a process.
#35 Old 01-27-2008, 09:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Just to put in my two cents...

I've always kind of liked soymilk, though I thought it tasted weird for a while. I used to only drink skim dairy milk, but then I went vegan and I lived on soy and almond milks. I'm no longer vegan, but ever since switching back I am VERY lactose intolerant. I can have yoghurt and cheese, like many lactose intolerants can, but if I have any uncultured dairy (like milk or butter, so the lactose is present) I will get very sick to my stomach and be in the worst pain ever. The other day I had one cracker that had a tiny bit of butter spread on it, and I was sick all night!!!! So be warned! Be very careful if you decide to start drinking milk again...you could get sick! Of course, if you are not convinced by the plant milks out there, they make lactose-free milk, but I don't drink it anyway...I stick to oat, hemp, soy, rice, and almond milk
#36 Old 01-27-2008, 09:08 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libellula View Post

i won't drink regular milk, but i still eat it in yogurt and cheese form.. but that's about it. i'm working on it, but it's a process.

dude, samesies! See, milk just grosses me out...I think it tastes weird by itself. I eat cheese and yogurt, but not very often...not like some people who have dairy with EVERY meal. Ick.
#37 Old 01-27-2008, 10:00 AM
Veggie Regular

^^ Same for me as well. I don't drink milk, but do eat some dairy in other forms. My dairy consumption is pretty much reduced to cheese, a little butter, and whatever trace ingredients might be in things I eat like bread or whatever. And I do try not to have it with every meal.

I realize this isn't the same as cutting it out altogether, but I'm reducing my consumption where I feel I can right now.
#38 Old 01-27-2008, 11:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavande View Post

Just to put in my two cents...

I used to only drink skim dairy milk, but then I went vegan and I lived on soy and almond milks. I'm no longer vegan, but ever since switching back I am VERY lactose intolerant. I can have yoghurt and cheese, like many lactose intolerants can, but if I have any uncultured dairy (like milk or butter, so the lactose is present) I will get very sick to my stomach and be in the worst pain ever. The other day I had one cracker that had a tiny bit of butter spread on it, and I was sick all night!!!! So be warned! Be very careful if you decide to start drinking milk again...you could get sick!

So true! More than half of the world population is lactose intolerant. If you take milk products out of your diet chances are you will not be able to break down the lactose anymore because most of us stop producing lactase as a child. Sometimes I wish for a milk shortage like those "got milk?" commercials pose, because people would not have it for a time and most of them would not be able to tolerate it anymore when they did have it hopefully resulting in less consumption and ultimately less cruelty to cows.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactose_intolerance

p.s. since this is a vegetarian forum i have to mention that goat milk/cheese is a lactose intolerant substitute for cow milk and will not result in icky symptoms.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page