down alternative or faux wool jackets? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-20-2007, 02:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Does anyone know where I can get a good winter coat that looks stylish? I like the look of wool and down and I know there are alternative down jackets, etc. but I can't seem to find them anywhere! Can anyone help me?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-20-2007, 03:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Faux wool jackets are pretty hard to find, unfortunately. I really really wanted a peacoat, but they're all made of wool, basically. The best thing to do is just search online until you find one that you like. I did find a few, but most of them didn't fit my tastes.

Same goes for down. Sorry, but I don't know of any off the top of my head.

One last thing: Are you a vegan, or just a vegetarian that doesn't wear things from animals?
#3 Old 01-20-2007, 11:19 PM
Veggie Regular

is tailor made an option?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-21-2007, 06:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alli View Post

One last thing: Are you a vegan, or just a vegetarian that doesn't wear things from animals?

Vegetarian who doesn't wear things from animals.
#5 Old 01-21-2007, 07:51 AM
Veggie Regular

A lot of high-performance stuffed jackets are filled with Primaloft or similar synthetic products instead of down these days. But they tend to be the sport outerwear rather than dress. A quick search of Land's End and LL Bean did turn up some possibilities, though...

How about this?

Or this?

Or this?

Or this?

You can find a lot of faux shearling, but I'm not doing so well on straight wool. REI has some good high-performance sporty coats, and they have synthetics, but you have to read the details carefully to separate the synthetic products from the real down. And they tend to be expensive.

PS: I don't know why the links are taking so long to load. If you just go to Land's End and browse their selection of coats, it's much faster.
#6 Old 01-21-2007, 10:15 AM
Veggie Regular

i've been wondering this myself... i have a beautiful long wool jacket that i bought before i knew any better and i cant bring myself to part with it... however i cant bring myself to wear it now either, so it's been hanging there for ages now. I've been thinking of donating it to PETA along with an old leather jacket i have. I would love to find a synthetic alternative to wool... thats a bummer that there isnt much out there
#7 Old 01-21-2007, 10:50 AM
Veggie Regular

there were a few discussion on this recently maybe they might help you:

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/p...ad.php?t=13081

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/a...p/t-27324.html

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...t=64198&page=4

I have an old wool peacoat (but yeah hard to find ones with no wool) and I just got a new faux suede/fur type coat from Target which I love.
#8 Old 01-21-2007, 02:24 PM
Veggie Regular

thanks! I was actually just looking at the pangea pea coat... i dont like how it looks in the pic though... too unisex for me, i like something more fitted and feminine... but i'll keep looking!

i saw a fake suede coat at old navy the other day, but i didnt really like the color... i may try another one to see if they have anything else
#9 Old 01-23-2007, 04:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Joyinc- I know how you feel. I was set on getting myself a peacoat, but I couldn't find a nice, warm one that wasn't made of wool. It was really upsetting. If you find anything, let us know!
#10 Old 01-23-2007, 04:45 AM
Veggie Regular

I have a faux shearling hooded coat that I love and I also found a full length hooded fleece coat. I get compliments on both everytime I wear them. I know what you mean about it being difficult to find a faux wool/down coat, however. I didn't see much in the way of choices when I was shopping for the two I have.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page