do you hate the smell of meat now? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-19-2007, 07:45 PM
Veggie Regular

uhhhh so i went into the kitchen in my house and my mom just got done cooking some ribs, it completely ruined my appetite and i almost threw up . and to top it off my mom said that usual " i dont eat meat often" even though she eats it everyday
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-19-2007, 07:50 PM
Banned

Doesn't bother me at all, though I understand how it could.
#3 Old 01-19-2007, 08:43 PM
Veggie Regular

I never liked the smell of meat. When my parents cook I'm usually taking a nap or I'm out, so I'm not even that used to it. At school sometimes they cook meat and the smell fills the hallway and I'll just say "eww, it smells like dead animal" to one of my friends and they'll tell me how yummy it smells. I'm really sensitive to it now and it bothers the bajeesus out of me.

Pinterest: AquaLoveBird
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-19-2007, 08:50 PM
Veggie Regular

I went into this shop the other week with my omni bf to buy some meat and the whole place just stank of death. I had to get out of there. I can't believe that people actually work in that environment all day. It was way worse than when we have meat cooking in the house, I think it's because they actually cut up the animals in the back.
#5 Old 01-19-2007, 10:34 PM

Sometimes not always..I am not a fan of it and tolerate it but if I am not feeling well or the mood strikes me right..the smell does bother me.
#6 Old 01-19-2007, 10:48 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't mind the smell of a BBQ, but meat cooked indoors all smoking up the kitchen with fumes and greasy-choking and gross? Oh my gosh I want to vomit on the spot. Just thinking about it right now - makes my stomach churn
#7 Old 01-19-2007, 10:52 PM
Banned

Most of it doesn't bother me. The only stuff that bothers me is stuff that bothered me before going veg.
#8 Old 01-19-2007, 11:07 PM
Banned

Interesting enough is the psychology of this, and I usally think about this having read how some people are grossed out about the smell of animals cooking. But for the first time tonight I was grossed out over the smell of the fish sticks that were being cooked. I use to eat more than my fair share when the were served in the past. So this is an interesting phenomenon to me, as I have tryed to be none judgemental about these smells.
#9 Old 01-19-2007, 11:13 PM

I can not stand the smell of tuna. Im getting used to the smell of chicken.. but it doesnt bother me as much.
#10 Old 01-19-2007, 11:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Mostly it doesn't bother me, but I do find that the longer I am vegetarian the more it bugs me. Certain things are worse than others. I think someone cooking raw hamburger is one of the worst.
#11 Old 01-20-2007, 01:58 AM
Veggie Regular

I hate the smell. Especially that of fish or beef.
#12 Old 01-20-2007, 02:23 AM
Veggie Regular

A sausage sizzle smell always makes me think yum... but I think it's the onion.. onion on a bbq is always the best smell. Although it usually makes me angry when I smell it, because it's people raising money for dog shelters by selling dead cows...
#13 Old 01-20-2007, 02:43 AM
Veggie Regular

I really dislike the smell of meat, particularly that of cooking bacon.
#14 Old 01-20-2007, 03:51 AM
Beginner

Sometimes it bothers me, sometimes it doesn't. Yesterday my boss was eating a smoked pork sandwich or something...you could smell it all around the office and that smell bothered me and another vegetarian who sits near me. But my husband sometimes cooks chicken pieces but the smell of that doesn't bother me.
#15 Old 01-20-2007, 06:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Yes, yes, yes. My parents were cooking hamburgers a couple days ago, and I literally could not leave my room without gagging. My mom lit a candle for me, but I had to take it everywhere I went or I would smell it over the candle.

The smell stayed in the house all night and into the morning. The worst part was that I could smell it on my retainer (I left it in the kitchen on accident). I cleaned it before I put it back in my mouth, obviously.

The wierd thing is, though, that I work at a steak house, and I can never even smell it there. I'm pretty sure the smell of the onion rings overpower it, or something.
#16 Old 01-20-2007, 07:35 AM
Beginner

I hate the smell of dead meat! It's disgusting! Especially when I walk by a buthers shop! Or when my fiance cooks his dinner!!! I just don't like it!

"I don't want to tamper with natural ignorance. It's the key to happiness.
Ignorance is the key. Too much knowledge and you're doomed."

"The Animals of the planet are in desperate peril. Without free animal life I believe we will lose the spiritual equivalent of oxygen. "
#17 Old 01-20-2007, 07:59 AM
Veggie Regular

It depends! I can do away with quite some smells (dead bodies for instance), but sometimes the burned meat smell that lingers in the staircase upsets me.

If I'm not answering quickly enough - leave a note on Twitter for @Rheumatologe
#18 Old 01-20-2007, 08:12 AM
Veggie Regular

Oh my goodness, YES! Especially chicken and ground beef. I cannot stand the smell of cooking chicken or ground beef. They make me want to pojectile vomit.
#19 Old 01-20-2007, 08:20 AM
Super Moderator

I work at a restaurant and sometimes the smell bothers me, especially if I think about where it came from. But most of the time, I'm too busy running around to even think about it.

When I worked at In-n-out burger (before I went veg), I cooked a lot and my arms would be covered in grease *yuck*
#20 Old 01-20-2007, 09:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Restaurants, at least, usually tend to have high-powered ventilation/exhaust systems that suck most of the greasy, smokey nastiness away. Not always though.

Some houses are worse than others, for ventilation in the kitchen (or people just don't turn on their kitchen fans - duh!) I've been in some kitchens that have no ventilation/exhaust fan at all; felt like I was catching instant lung cancer from how heavy the air was with smoke and cooking fumes, I don't know how people live without a fan over their stove. Blerghhh...

[ /end rant]
#21 Old 01-20-2007, 09:08 AM
Veggie Regular

yes, i do.

my husband cooks chicken, beef, elk, and fish. it's aweful.

but, we use the vent fan and crack the kitchen window--so that helps.
#22 Old 01-20-2007, 09:16 AM
Veggie Regular

the smell of it gets to me too, especially bacon. Ewwww! The greasy smell gets everywhere, it reminds me of cigarette smoke. It gets in my hair, clothes, and even inside my nose!!

I cannot go down the meat aisle at the grocery store now. Seeing all of those animals laying there just gets to me!

I just had this conversation with my husband the other day. People don't want to know what their meat goes through to get to the store in those nice little clear packages, because once you know you just can't put it out of your mind, kwim?

Michelle
#23 Old 01-20-2007, 09:34 AM
Veggie Regular

i cant stand the smell of chicken or fish. i still like the smell of hotdogs because it reminds me of camping.
#24 Old 01-20-2007, 10:59 AM
Beginner

Most of the time it doesn't bother me that much, it just doesn't smell appetizing. When my whole family is complaining over how delicious BBQ smells while someone is cooking it, I pretty much could care less because it doesn't really smell like food to me.

Tuna though, I hate. Hate hate hate the smell of tuna. It makes me want to gag.
#25 Old 01-20-2007, 11:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenni-anti-fur View Post

Sometimes not always..I am not a fan of it and tolerate it but if I am not feeling well or the mood strikes me right..the smell does bother me.

Agreed!
#26 Old 01-20-2007, 11:26 AM
Veggie Regular

I can't handle the smell of seafood, and the smell of dead pigs really gets to me. "Red" meats don't bother me too much unless they are really strong, and chicken smells don't bother me.

It's not in what you say, it's in what you do (Oasis)

Feeling bored? Why don't you wander over to my blog sometime. http://thebohemiankitchen.wordpress.com
#27 Old 01-20-2007, 11:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Sometimes I feel guilty that I don't hate certain smells. Bacon and grilling steaks, and to some extent fried chicken, still make my stomach growl, and I have to mentally remind myself that's NOT food I smell-- it's fear and pain and death. Most other things just smell irrelevant, and a few are downright nasty, like fish. I always hated the stink of the seafood market. The other day I passed by a dead armadillo rotting on the side of the road and it smelled remarkably like the seafood market. Go figure.
#28 Old 01-20-2007, 01:13 PM
Veggie Regular

yeah I can't stand it, and I do my best not to be around it.

One of the worst was a few months ago.... just prior to my boss going veg she microwaved tuna. Now, I haven't vomited in 20 years but I almost did that day. Extreme nastiness.
#29 Old 01-20-2007, 01:29 PM
Veggie Regular

I really can`t stand the smell of meat.

The Smell of certain meats make me feel sick.
#30 Old 01-20-2007, 01:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatless View Post

Now, I haven't vomited in 20 years but I almost did that day. Extreme nastiness.

I had to post in this thread just to say how jealous I am if that's true. 20 years?

The only meat smells that bother me are bacon, ham, and seafood. Beef and chicken still smell good to me, but I get weirded out when I think that, so in the end I just feel uncomfortable.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page