Brie Cheese, Is it vegetarian? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-12-2003, 04:16 PM

Until recently I considered Brie "just plain old cheese." I was reading the label of the Brie I bought from Trader's the other day and it listed Animal Rennet as an ingredient... I looked it up in the dictionary, says: basically the stomache of an unweaned animal.

Ummm, is this true? Anyone know more? Particularly about Brie cheese. Seems to me it's an item I will not be eating anymore!

Thanks for your help in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-12-2003, 04:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Almost all cheese produced at the artisanal level or that is imported from outside of the U.S. is produced using animal rennet. Rennet is an enzyme found in the stomaches of unweaned calves. It cannot be "harvested" without actually killing the animal.

Most mass market cheese sold in supermarkets is made using microbial rennet, which is vegetarian. But, it's really a matter of reading the label or contacting the company for your favorite brands. Fortunately, Trader Joe's is really forthcoming with this sort of info. They even have a brochure about it at the front of the stores, near the specials flyers.
#3 Old 08-12-2003, 04:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Health food stores carry lots of "rennet free" cheese. The rennet thing is what made me quit cheese, actually (after I read about it on this board) I just feel way too friggin bad for the baby cow!

I feel your pain about Brie. I love that squishy cheese on stoned wheat crackers....I don't know if there's a veggie substitute Brie, though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-12-2003, 04:42 PM

To all that replied. I really appreciate your quick responses and support. Thanks so much. It's so good to have veggie pals out there!

#5 Old 08-12-2003, 06:20 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

Hey

I got the best Brie the other day, made with Veg Rennet, and it was truly good. I hardly ever eat dairy, but it was worth breaking that rule for this (oh yeah!!). And I got it from the Supermarket! (It was an Aussie cheese, could have been South Cape, but I'm not sure) Just look at all the labels, you'll find some good stuff soon.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#6 Old 08-12-2003, 11:42 PM

you can get lots of cheeses that dont have rennet in them
#7 Old 09-13-2013, 01:44 AM

I was just wondering the same thing as i bought it recently but i have started wondering what the outside of it is made from. So is it safe to say that it is not vegetarian?

#8 Old 09-13-2013, 03:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniaraven View Post

I was just wondering the same thing as i bought it recently but i have started wondering what the outside of it is made from. So is it safe to say that it is not vegetarian?

Most cheeses except Parmesan can be made with vegetarian rennet.  Check ingredients online before going shopping and then you'll know which ones to look for.  To be honest I think a lot of cheese in the UK is probably veggie anyway.

This British Brie is vegetarian:

http://www.cheese.com/somerset-brie/

#9 Old 09-13-2013, 03:11 AM
Banned

http://cheeseonthegreen.com/cheeses/vegetarian

A list of UK veggie cheeses

#10 Old 09-17-2013, 04:30 AM

Thank you: -) the one I bought was asdas own brand so probably not vegetarian. If it's got rennet do you know what it's called in the ingredients list or does it just say rennet?
#11 Old 09-17-2013, 04:51 AM

Wow.  Learnt another new thing.  I am coming to love this forum!

There are so many pitfalls to watch out for!  It would never have occurred to me there could be calf stomach in cheese!  Sheesh.  Thankyou all!

#12 Old 09-17-2013, 04:54 AM

Me too legally red. I thought Brie would be fine. It's my favorite cheese
#13 Old 09-17-2013, 08:20 AM
Siv
Veggie Regular

Rennet is not calf stomach, it's a bunch of enzymes produced in the calf's stomach (or any mammal's stomach for that matter).

I find the US to be terrible for finding rennet free cheese. The UK is so much better - almost every cheese is labeled (V) for suitable for vegetarians (i.e. made without animal rennet).

#14 Old 08-18-2015, 03:21 AM

Smile Veggie friendly Brie

Lots of places will do a vegetarian Brie if you look into it, in the UK we have Waitress whom label their cheeses as veggie in the deli section, so try some deli counters in supermarkets or do a bit of research for veggie friendly Brie is the US, I am sure you will find some!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page