Curry 911! Please help! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-16-2007, 01:19 PM

OK, confession time...Ive been a vegetarian for years...

and never made a curry!

I have to make one for a dinner party tonight for 7 people...heres what I have in the house, can someone maybe give me some pointers?

Onions

Potatoes

Chickpeas

Tofu

Coconut (whole)

Green Peas

Curry Paste

Curry Powder

I also have most all other staples, like veg broth, oils...ect

Can someone please give me some advice here on how to procede? The dish needs to impress! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-16-2007, 01:28 PM
Veggie Regular

This recipe= easiest curry eveeer.

But in any case, all you really need to do is saute any aromatics (garlic, onion) in a bit of oil until soft. Stir in some curry powder (not too much at first, taste and adjust later). Add a tin of chopped tomatoes OR coconut milk, any diced veg (potatoes, chickpeas, bell pepper, courgette, carrot, peas, etc etc) and simmer until the veg can be easily pierced with a fork. Taste, adjust seasonings (more curry powder, cumin, coriander, whatever you prefer). Add more liquid (vegetable broth, coconut milk, etc) as needed while cooking, and give it a stir every now and then. Easy as pie!
#3 Old 01-16-2007, 01:58 PM
Veggie Regular

What Keelin said above sounds good.

You can also use some coconut and some tomato BOTh in the curry to make a creamy tomato curry base.

You said you have a whole coconut, but do you have coconut milk? Grate or food-process the coconut meat, add the juice from inside the coconut and squeeze the HECK out of it through a cheesecloth will give you the closest to canned coconut milk. I think curry needs coconut milk to really make the curry spices work, but it's just me.

I must say - you are VERY brave to attempt something "impressive" for a dinner party of 7 people - WOW - when you've never even made it before.

Let us know how it goes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-16-2007, 03:25 PM

Thanks for the tips! That recipe should work great. I like to be experamental when I cook, but usually I prefer to do it when its just me and the boyfreind eating, as opposed to me, the boyfreind and 5 co-workers, none of whom are vegetarian. Unfortunately I am known in the office for being a great cook...had a number of people tell me that if I prepared all of their meals they would have no problem going veg*n. So obviously, standards are a little high...I wish everyone though I was an awful cook...then I could just nuke some hot pockets and be done with it
#5 Old 01-16-2007, 09:31 PM

Everything went great...they all LOVED the curry, and I made a soybean hummus that everyone loved too...the best part was telling them the meal was all vegan, no one could believe it! Thanks for the help everyone!
#6 Old 01-16-2007, 11:23 PM

am a bit late to this one...happy to hear that it went well.
#7 Old 01-17-2007, 02:05 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm also glad to hear it went well! I hope you had a fun time

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page