New career - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-19-2006, 11:12 AM
Banned

I've been in the computer biz for about 15 years, mostly networking and web design in the last 5. I've never been passionate about it, but now I'm downright bored out of my skull.

My biggest interests are in natural health & wellness (exercise, nutrition, preventative health measures), healthy weight loss, permaculture & green building, self-improvement, and self-reliance. I would like to do something in one of these fields, but I really have no idea what.

The limiting factors are that I live in a very small, rural, conservative town (and don't plan to move). And I suck at sales.

Anyone have suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-19-2006, 11:31 AM
Veggie Regular

health and wellness website with a new spin then the current ones available.

start a nutritionist office at your nearest larger city

....move >_> <_<
#3 Old 12-19-2006, 06:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by troub View Post

health and wellness website with a new spin then the current ones available.

<_<

that idea might not be a bad one for ya because it leverages your computer talents with helping others in nutrition.

http://www.butikiteas.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-19-2006, 07:20 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't know if this is helpful at all, but there is an idea out there that nutritionists are the medical doctors of the future. At the very least, I think they'll become just as important some day.
#5 Old 12-19-2006, 07:50 PM
Veggie Regular

If you can commit to the schooling, becoming a nutritionist would be very interesting-- and helpful for the community. Check out what the local colleges have to offer. You could make nutrition websites or web communities on the side in the meantime.
#6 Old 12-19-2006, 11:39 PM
Veggie Regular

there is a large difference between nutritionist and dietetian. i would not opt for a nutritionist role if you really want a set career. becoming registered is important... i'd go do a degree in dietetics.
#7 Old 12-20-2006, 08:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurie15 View Post

there is a large difference between nutritionist and dietetian. i would not opt for a nutritionist role if you really want a set career. becoming registered is important... i'd go do a degree in dietetics.

I agree with this (but I'm biased since this is my area). The biggest downfall about becoming a dietitian is a four year science degree plus an internship that lasts about 9 months or more. To become registered, you need to pass an exam.

Anyone can use the term "nutritionist", regardless of education, so anyone educated on the matter is leery of the "nutritionist" term. However, a qualified nutritionist would be one who had the degree but not the internship. Considering the job opportunities for dietitians as opposed to nutritionists, I would strongly recommend sucking it up and doing the internship.

There are so many varied job opportunities that you could excel in as someone with RD (registered dietitian) status along with your current skills.

If you're interested at all, or have more questions, feel free to PM me about it
#8 Old 12-20-2006, 09:23 AM
Veggie Regular

have you considered something part time?

for example, do what you do now, and then see what you can do part time to set things up.

while i was in law school (that was my 'day job') i taught yoga on the side. now, yoga is my profession. i'm going to add in nutritional consulting to that pile relatively soon (i'm working on getting a 'certification'--pm me for more info about it).

so, first i would narrow down which things in nutrition or wellness you want to focus on. then, i would look at what it would take to 'get started' in those areas (do you need certifications, etc, or can you just get going?). finally, i would look around for gyms, wellness centers, chiropractic offices, etc, to determine what opportunities might be available for you.

earlier this year, i considered going into personal training. i asked a gym that i work for if i could give it a try. i trained a number of clients and was very popular, but i learned that i greatly disliked personal training. i much prefer just teaching yoga, doing nutritional consultations, and doing thai yoga bodywork! it's my thing.

anyway, that's a good way do get rolling.
#9 Old 12-20-2006, 01:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurie15 View Post

That's what I meant. Bleah, terms.
#10 Old 12-23-2006, 09:07 PM

They have a few colleges online that give classes on natural health and alternative medicines... when youre done you could take out a business loan and start up your own health shop or something and you could sell books on all sorts of topics. i hope i helped, if not, im sorry.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page