Veg*an kids. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-04-2006, 01:08 PM
Veggie Regular

I am only 15 years old, but when i have kids i want to raise them vegetarian, maybe even vegan, but i feel that would be risky. Anyways I'm just mad it took me so long to realize where my food acctually came from, and the truth shocked and discusted me. I am dissapointed that my mom fed me meat, bought me leather, and took me to the circus, though i understand it's just part of the culture i suppose. I wanted to know if there are any veg*an parents who are/have raised thier kids this way and how it works out, thanks! =]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-04-2006, 02:29 PM
Veggie Regular

I have many friends who were raised vegetarian from birth. They are doctors, engineers, musicians.... they can be every bit as healthy as meat eaters.

I also know several "new" vegetarians who are raising their kids (pregnancy through childhood) as vegetarian, and their kids are perfectly healthy too!

Of course you need to take into consideration good nutrition, which EVERY parent needs to do, not just vegetarians. you have to make sure your kids get enough fat in their diet, protein, calories, etc (a low fat vegetarian diet is not appropriate for growing babies.) Not only am I currently pregnant, and vegetarian, but my OB doctor is also vegetarian! (I haven't met her yet, I will meet her in 2 weeks, but she was very reassuring about vegetarian pregnancy!)

Millions of people all over the world are vegetarian from birth - your kids would not be the first ;-)
#3 Old 12-04-2006, 02:34 PM

I was raised vegetarian along with my brother and 5 of my cousins. We are all very healthy, the shortest is 5 feet 7 inches (no stunted growth as it is rumored), none of us have had vitimin deficencies. I cant speek for everyone else but I have always been glad I was raised vegetarian. I say that you should if you want to. By the way I am 16 and when I have children I plan on raising them vegetarian also
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-04-2006, 02:59 PM
Veggie Regular

My 2 kids (ages 3 and 1) have been vegetarian since birth. I ate fish during my last pregancy and my oldest sampled a bite of tuna sandwich one day, but other than that he's been 100% vegetarian. We are now a vegan family.

As long as you have a working knowledge of nutrition, I think it is perfectly safe to raise kids vegetarian or vegan. If they are vegan you just have to make sure they have a source of Vitamin B-12. It's easy for us because they love their fortified soymilk which has plenty.

By the way, both my kids are growing and thriving. For height, my oldest is at about the 75th percentile and my youngest at the 95th. Their weight percentiles are slightly lower. They are very healthy and I think their veg*n diets have served them well. For the record, neither of them have been sick other than a couple of mild colds. Neither have ever had to be on antibiotics or had any other medications. I'm sure it's partly good genes, but I also think it's because they were both breastfed and they eat such healthy diets.

I think all parents want to pass their values on to their kids. Vegetarians raising their kids veg is no different to me than Christians taking their kids to church.
#5 Old 12-04-2006, 04:08 PM
Veggie Regular

that's so amazing! thanks so much all of you. your kids are lucky!
#6 Old 12-08-2006, 02:01 PM
Veggie Regular

I am the crazy-proud mother of a new 2 month old wonder, and I plan on raising her as veggie as I can without being overly aggressive. But as is, She's been totally veg up to now (not much, I know) but she is incredibly healthy, and my pregnancy was super healthy. I think the risk lies not in the health aspect so much (with a little common sense) as the risk of being too overbearing. We all know vegetarians who make you want to eat meat just out of SPITE, now combine that with an overbearing parent, and try to get your kid to respect your values!
#7 Old 12-08-2006, 02:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Sounds great nookle! I feel the same way. I want to strike the right balance between teaching our kids why we don't eat meat, without making them wonder why gramma and grampa still do. its a tough balance but its worth the effort!!!
#8 Old 12-08-2006, 02:57 PM

I have been a veggie since birth as well as my 3 other siblings. We all played sports and are smart people. I now have 2 children of my own who are strict veggies as well. They are very happy and healthy little people.
#9 Old 12-08-2006, 03:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Lucky for you to have had veggie parents, RIverGuna!
#10 Old 12-08-2006, 05:07 PM
Banned

Why would it be ok for you but risky for your kids?
#11 Old 12-11-2006, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookle View Post

Lucky for you to have had veggie parents, RIverGuna!

I do feel very lucky. They went veggie just as I was born. 33 years later they are great friends. My mom said she really went against the norm in the 70's. They thought you would die or have rickets without some flesh.
#12 Old 12-11-2006, 08:46 AM
Veggie Regular

I was raised vegetarian and am raising my 5 year-old vegetarian. In today's western society it is not so uncommon as it used to be. The biggest challenge imo lies in living in a "mixed" family, which is what happens when you marry an omni. Then it's a question of making deals, I guess. My husband still eats meat (mostly fish) but we have agreed that he does not bring it into the house, ever. He has been living a much more healthy life since he met me and has learned a lot about nutrition and is becoming, on certain points, more fanatical than I am (low fat, low sodium, that stuff) so it's kind of cool to watch how being vegetarian changes the people around/with me, too.

Anyhow. I don't think raising your children vegetarian is either difficult or dangerous. It's just plain common sense !
#13 Old 12-11-2006, 08:49 AM
Veggie Regular

It can be harder with kids, especially picky kids, to be sure they are getting what they need to. We've come up with several ways of doing this... peanut butter as a dip for their veggie sticks, with lunch... crackers if they won't eat their sandwich, putting toothpics in grapes and tomatoes so they are fun to eat...

You do have to be careful about protein (they need more as they are growing faster, so 0-2 they need .55 grams per lb of body weight, where an adult is closer to .33 grams per lb of weight), healthy fats, iron, and calcium, possibly B-12 (if vegan). But all those can be attained through a healthy diet, or adding a multivitamin into the day.

By the time you are ready for kids, you will have been at this for a long time, and will be more accustomed to cooking for yourself, meal planning for your health, and getting it all to taste GREAT! You'll have that all down and will naturally do the same things for your children.

It is great to be thinking about it now, but don't set limitations on yourself just yet. When you have kids to look at and think about, and as they get big enough to show that picky eating side of things, then you'll have things to worry/think about.
#14 Old 12-11-2006, 09:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Thank you for all the great input! Now I wish my mom raised me vegetarian!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page