911: Calling out Again. (feeling weak) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-08-2006, 02:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Hey guys! I need - yet again - some more help. I seem to be facing some problems, but what those problems are I am quite unsure of. Let me explain (Health-related):

Lately I have been experiencing the following symptoms, and they have been going on for a little over a half of a year now. It is probably due to something I am not doing rather than something that I am doing, but that is what I hope to figure out. Symptoms:

Lightheadedness.

Dizzyness.

Sleepiness.

Headaches (Sometimes - not always.)

Weakness.

Chest pain. (Again - an on and off thing. It might just be heart burn.)

Anyway, that is pretty much it. Like I said, this has been going on for almost a year. I often find it hard to stay awake, and sometimes I feel so weak that even walking straight is hard - like I am drunk or something. When I stand up, sometimes I have to stay still for a few seconds, as my vision will blur and I will get very dizzy. I seem to have a low body temp as well, as I am constantly cold - not only to the air but other people have also proclaimed my chilly skin.

Now, before we start in: I thought it might be calories, but now I am not so sure. I have ridden myself of a calorie restriction diet, as that really only fueled an eating disorder. (Long story short: I was anorexic for a while. Luckily, I have corrected that and have not been restrictive for about a half of a year.)

Anyway, I worry that maybe I am not getting some important nutrient(s) or something. Any help would be appreciated! (My menu, or eats, have been listed below. I do not eat this stuff every day, but this is what I had today.)

BREAKFAST (Pretty much the same every day.)

Oat Bran (1/2 cup dry; cooked in a cup of water.)

2 tbsn flax meal

1 cup of soymilk

1 large fruit (Most often an apple.)

LUNCH (Varies, but usually around 500-600 calories.)

1/4 cup Quinoa

1/4 cup Lentils (Red)

1 tsp. Sesame Seeds

1 cup frozen broccolli (steamed)

1 large carrot

About a half of a medium red pepper; sliced.

1 medium Grapefruit

1 peice of Wasa Crispbread

SNACK (Varies. Depending on the hunger I feel, anywhere from 100-300 calories.)

1 navel orange

1 Bug Bites Endangered Species

DINNER (I have not had dinner just yet, but I am planning to have a vegetable-type sandwhich. It will probably be two slices of bread with a mixture of vegetables on them, some Nayonaise, and sprinkled with soynuts. The side will be peas, most likely, or broccolli. Whatever I do have, I try to have at least 500-600 calories, as I do Lunch.)

So - any ideas? I would have a blood test, but I do not have any money at all, and my family doesn't either. I got my blood pressure checked - just because it was free - and I am just fine there.

OH! - and I strive to get over 8 glasses of water a day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-08-2006, 02:28 PM
Beginner

It could *possibly* be anaemia, from the symptoms, caused by lack of iron although from what you've listed you seem to be getting plenty in your diet.

Please get it checked anyway even if it means putting it on credit because your health is so important, and take iron supplements in the meantime, avoid caffeine and take plenty vit c to aid digestion.
#3 Old 11-08-2006, 02:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Please please please go see a doctor. If you don't seek treatment your condition may get worse. A trip to the doctor now will be less expensive than a stay in the hospital later. If you explain your situation you may be able to pay the bill in monthly installments.

You may also want to consider taking a daily multivitamin. Health Foods Stores carry vegetarian vitamins.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-08-2006, 03:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks, guys! I was avoiding posting this for so long due to the know of what answers that I would get.

Anyway, thank you both! I was really hoping to figure it out without breaking out the cash, haha!

I expressed my problems to my mother, but as always, she said, " Well, it is because of your redoculous lifestyle, so I will not take you to the doctor. You just need to eat meat. "

*Sigh* So that is out, it seems.
#5 Old 11-08-2006, 03:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks, guys! I was avoiding posting this for so long due to the know of what answers that I would get.

Anyway, thank you both! I was really hoping to figure it out without breaking out the cash, haha!

I expressed my problems to my mother, but as always, she said, " Well, it is because of your redoculous lifestyle, so I will not take you to the doctor. You just need to eat meat. "

*Sigh* So that is out, it seems.
#6 Old 11-08-2006, 03:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Okay, try putting that all in at fitday.com. You'll have to sign up if you're not signed up already. It'll give you a good idea of what nutrients you're lacking, if you're lacking any.

Do you take B12 supplements, and/or eat B12-fortified foods? Your B vitamins are very important.

Chest pain does sometimes happen in teenagers/young adults. I used to get it occasionally, and my father (a doctor) advised me to just have some aspirin when it happens. If it happens a lot and it's intense pain, you should see a doctor.

For the record, your calories might still be too low. Some people need 2000+.
#7 Old 11-08-2006, 03:22 PM
Veggie Regular

I have the fitday program. (I know - it is downloaded. *smacks hand*)

Anyway, I checked an overview of my days gone by, and it seems that I am quite low in Vitamns:

B6

B12 (I usually only get 50% DV from my soymilk in the morning. Should I cram in another cup?)

Vitamin E (WOW! Really low on this. What can I do for more?)

Pant. Acid (Whatever that is.)

Vitamin D

Selinium (?)

Well, I guess I could use a boost on all of my vitamins, but most of them are at least 80% of my daily value on a normal basis. Sometimes I get over 100%. I guess it depends on the day? (My Iron seems ok.)
#8 Old 11-08-2006, 03:29 PM
Veggie Regular

I still think more calories would be good for you. Are you a teenager? You need more calories than you are listing, especially if you are getting ANY exercise at all.

I think your symptoms sound like low blood sugar. I know you dont want to hear it because of your previous experience with eating disorder but I think you do need more food, and more fat in your diet. Your fat intake is very very low. Try some avocado for healthy fats :-)

All that water with very little calories..... you might be flushing out the water soluble vitamins? I do not know though....
#9 Old 11-08-2006, 03:35 PM
Veggie Regular

My Average calories has been trippled; but even considering that I believe that you could be right.

I get, according to my records, an average of 1,700 calories a day. Keep in mind that does vary. I normally get around 1,600 to 1,800, and I occassionally get 2,000.

I will admit that I am often afraid to eat more, but I do so anyway. I just don't get it....

I am 18 years old, for the record, and I do practically nothing all day, but most of that is due to my tiredness. Once or twice a week I will go on a bike-ride or a mile - or so - walk, but thats about it. (Often I don't even get around to these things.)

Again - thanks for the help. Maybe we can get down to this.
#10 Old 11-08-2006, 03:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Also, I believe you could be right about the fats. The average there is 37 grams a day. I figured you wanted to keep those low? ... Anyway, most of that comes from flax and peanut butter, and occassionally sesame seeds.
#11 Old 11-08-2006, 03:39 PM
Veggie Regular

I think you have an iron deficiency. Look at this thread that I posted a while back. Your symptoms seem to be similar to mine.

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ad.php?t=61148
#12 Old 11-08-2006, 03:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Iron, eh? I thought about that, but, as I said - I have been getting 150% average on that. I guess it good still be that, however.
#13 Old 11-08-2006, 03:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussyj View Post

Iron, eh? I thought about that, but, as I said - I have been getting 150% average on that. I guess it good still be that, however.

Oh sorry, I didn't know you were getting 150%. Try it though, when I did I felt a lot better!
#14 Old 11-08-2006, 03:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Hey! I will give it a go. Also, I am posting my daily averages. This has been taken from the date of October 12 to today. (The iron was actually 105%, sorry.)
LL
#15 Old 11-08-2006, 04:07 PM
Veggie Regular

I've been having problems from various sources ( job related frustration and having my life ruined yet again are a huge part) and I've been on vitamin drinks again. It's just an easy way to get high calories and nutrition if you feel like crap.
#16 Old 11-08-2006, 04:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Feeling like crap and feeling weak and sick all of the time are a little different, I believe. There is something wrong, health wise, with me.

Oh - and I get 7 hours of sleep a night. Any less and I would pass right back out.
#17 Old 11-08-2006, 04:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Ok - My dinner for tonight is figured out:

Macaroni and Tomatoes (Oh, I love this!)

A Vegetable-type sandwhich

A Mini ear of corn (Basically half an ear of corn. )

Top that off with a peice of fruit.
#18 Old 11-08-2006, 04:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Are you/have you taken any over the counter medications such as cold/allergy medicine, or any other kind of medication? How about natural/herbal supplements?
#19 Old 11-08-2006, 04:54 PM
Veggie Regular

You might have an iron absorption problem. IT wouldnt matter how much you ate if your body couldnt absorb it properly. I would get a blood test to be sure.

It is also very important to get a certain amount of fat in your diet because it is needed to help you absorb certain vitamins. So as hard as it might be, you really should include healthy oils in your diet like olive oil on your salad, a slice of avocado with your lunch, etc.

As a teenager, even if you are somewhat sedentary, you are still needing more calories than a full-fledge adult. I know this is hard but if you want to get well i think you need a blood test, and to eat a little more.
#20 Old 11-08-2006, 05:01 PM

Try going to see your school nurse if your mother won't take you to a doctor. Explain your situation to the nurse, who will probably talk to your mother, and she will probably be embarrassed enough to take you. And don't you guys have health insurance?

I had a very good friend who was anorexic, and so I know it can take months, even up to a full year your body to fully recover from starvation (assuming you're eating enough every day), so you could just be experiencing the aftershock of your eating disorder.
#21 Old 11-08-2006, 06:59 PM
Veggie Regular

School nurse?... Haha! She is only in once in a blue moon. My brother said that he had experienced the same thing, but... Well, that's a different story. Needless to say, he doesn't suffer from it anymore. He changed, however, to a less-strict lifestyle.
#22 Old 11-09-2006, 03:30 AM
Veggie Regular

You gotta go to a doctor hun. There are a million ways to figure out how to make that happen, you just have to really want it to.
#23 Old 11-09-2006, 06:11 AM

It sounds like a B complex deficiency, your B complex vitamins assist in turning the iron in your diet into red blood cells. You need these as well as iron.

Like so many have said, get a blood test, and I would advise you to start taking a B complex supplement as well as your multi.
#24 Old 11-09-2006, 08:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussyj View Post

School nurse?... Haha! She is only in once in a blue moon. My brother said that he had experienced the same thing, but... Well, that's a different story. Needless to say, he doesn't suffer from it anymore. He changed, however, to a less-strict lifestyle.

Are you looking for people to suggest that you should switch to a less-strict diet as well? Because it seems that way, especially when you add in the last thread you started.
#25 Old 11-09-2006, 11:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Re. your vitamin E question: Eat 1/4 cup sunflower seeds daily for a full day's RDA of vitamin E.
#26 Old 11-09-2006, 03:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatless View Post

Are you looking for people to suggest that you should switch to a less-strict diet as well? Because it seems that way, especially when you add in the last thread you started.

Do you hate me, because I am down with that.

Anyway - no, I am not. I am simply stating his experience related to mine. I need no permission to switch to a less-strict lifestyle. If I wanted to do it, I would.

You, of all people, should know that I could care less what others think about what I personally do. I mean, remember how disrepectful I once was? *Shrug* ... All I am saying is that if I didn't care what everyone thought then, why would I be wanting permission for a less-strict lifestyle? (If I sincerely wanted an egg that bad, I would just go have one!)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page