Coffee bad? - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 11-08-2006, 06:55 PM
Veggie Regular

I heard that coffee is healthier if it is stronger because of the antioxidants. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3540729.stm

I am somewhat addicted to caffeine. I usually have 1-2 mugs every morning and may have some tea and chocolate if there is any. I like my coffee strong and usually put about two tablespoons of coffee for every 8 oz. of water. One cup of coffee usually makes me not sleepy anymore, two cups gets me somewhat wired and three cups gets me very hyper. When I abstain from coffee is genereally get a tense aching feeling in my head and my eyes feel heavy, but it is nothing major. Overall, I say, if you like coffee, drink it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 11-08-2006, 06:56 PM
Veggie Regular

I heard that coffee is healthier if it is stronger because of the antioxidants. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3540729.stm

I am somewhat addicted to caffeine. I usually have 1-2 mugs every morning and may have some tea and chocolate if there is any. I like my coffee strong and usually put about two tablespoons of coffee for every 8 oz. of water. One cup of coffee usually makes me not sleepy anymore, two cups gets me somewhat wired and three cups gets me very hyper. When I abstain from coffee is generally get a tense aching feeling in my head and my eyes feel heavy, but it is nothing major. Overall, I say, if you like coffee, drink it!
#33 Old 11-08-2006, 07:00 PM
Veggie Regular

If it's the antioxidants you want, drink white tea. Much healthier.

Quote:

When I abstain from coffee is generally get a tense aching feeling in my head and my eyes feel heavy, but it is nothing major.

withdrawal lol.

I myself drink coffee at the moment. Maybe a cup every other day. I use hazelnut coffee with hazelnut milk, squirt of agave, and a scoop of vegan hot coco. Its yummy.

Double Hazelnut Mocha <3<3<3

I would like to give it up one day, along with all caffeine (black tea/chocolate/etc), I'm just not at that point yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 11-09-2006, 04:08 AM
Veggie Regular

Does it really mater whether coffee is good or bad for you?

I drink coffee becaue I enjoy a nice cup of somehting that's a bit stronger than tea, every now and then. health doesn't even come into the issue.
#35 Old 11-09-2006, 06:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyvel View Post

I seem to hear a lot about coffee in moderation as being good for you (recently I've read two studies, one about reducing risk of Type II diabetes, and another saying there may be a protective effect on the liver). But this is for about 1-2 cups a day, and not excessive amounts.

this is not true. many of the studies done have been for people drinking 3-4 cups per day, and often even more than that. and, often, the more coffee drunk, the greater the health benefits.

but i agree more with loki.

i drink coffee cuz i like it and it helps perk me up. i'm not going to stop or drink more because either is healthy or unhealthy.
#36 Old 11-09-2006, 10:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by catswym View Post

this is not true. many of the studies done have been for people drinking 3-4 cups per day, and often even more than that. and, often, the more coffee drunk, the greater the health benefits.

If that's the case, I should be healthier than a horse, then.

Me looooooves coffee.
#37 Old 11-09-2006, 10:41 AM
Veggie Regular

studies have also shown that extreme caffeine use knocks a year or two off your lifespan.

*shrug*
#38 Old 11-09-2006, 11:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by troub View Post

studies have also shown that extreme caffeine use knocks a year or two off your lifespan.

*shrug*

do you have references to that? i find it hard to believe in relation to studies showing the many benefits of coffee, for instance. i would also be interested in what form the caffeine came in.

thanks.
#39 Old 11-09-2006, 01:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post

Does it really mater whether coffee is good or bad for you?

I drink coffee becaue I enjoy a nice cup of somehting that's a bit stronger than tea, every now and then. health doesn't even come into the issue.

I totally agree.
#40 Old 11-09-2006, 02:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by catswym View Post

do you have references to that? i find it hard to believe in relation to studies showing the many benefits of coffee, for instance. i would also be interested in what form the caffeine came in.

thanks.

you first

#41 Old 11-09-2006, 02:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Well, extreme is a little vague. What's extreme, 8 cups a day?
#42 Old 11-09-2006, 02:51 PM

Caffeine is a drug.
#43 Old 11-10-2006, 06:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by troub View Post

you first

i previously posted a link to a website with many references to various studies.

here is the link again if you missed it.

in addition, here is a bbc article: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3540729.stm

and a webmd article:

http://www.webmd.com/content/Article/80/96454.htm

i can get more, if you'd like.
#44 Old 11-10-2006, 07:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiejanie View Post

Caffeine is a drug.

And boy do I like it
#45 Old 11-10-2006, 07:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Keep in mind, that 1 cup = 8 oz. Considering the size of coffee cups (both the kind one has at home and the size of ones you buy at stores), people rarely just have 8 oz of coffee.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#46 Old 11-10-2006, 07:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiejanie View Post

Caffeine is a drug.

This is my brain:

This is my brain on coffee:

Any questions?
#47 Old 11-10-2006, 11:23 AM

I just wanted to add this since it wasn't mentioned. Caffeine will aggrivate certain heart conditions that involve electrical signals that control heartbeat (SVT, for example). A racing heart, or palpitations are usually the symptoms.

There's also been some debate over the poisonous chemicals used to extract caffeine in decaf coffee.

All of that being said, other than a quick pick-me-up, you most likely won't see any ill effects from drinking only one cup a day. It's when every beverage you drink contains caffeine that you may run into problems.

P.S. Eating a whole apple in the morning gives you the same shot of alertness. (read that somewhere, tried it, and am a believer)
#48 Old 11-12-2006, 08:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Coffee increases homocysteine levels

Five or more cups a day increases risk of coronary heart disease

Boiled coffee raises cholesterol

More on coffee raising LDL cholesterol: positively correlated with the amount coffee consumed

Moderate to high coffee drinkers have increased inflammatory markers (may lead to cardiovascular disease)

Coffee consumption increases risk of spontaneous abortion in early pregnancy (risk increases with increased consumption)

More adverse effects of high coffee intake

We have to remember to look at the whole picture here. One study showing that very high intakes of coffee will reduce your risk of Type II Diabetes doesn't mean you should run out and start drinking 8-10 cups a day. There are other ways to reduce your risk of diabetes, with the most basic being maintaining a healthy weight. Yes, there are some studies showing benefits to coffee consumption, but there also seems to be a slew of evidence showing that there are adverse health effects associated with increased coffee consumption.
#49 Old 11-12-2006, 10:36 AM
Veggie Regular

but it takes 100 cups of coffee to overdose

It's not in what you say, it's in what you do (Oasis)

Feeling bored? Why don't you wander over to my blog sometime. http://thebohemiankitchen.wordpress.com
#50 Old 11-14-2006, 09:29 PM
Veggie Regular

I wanted to note that I (a self-proclaimed coffee snob, and boarderline anemic) make my coffee like this: Fill your coffee pot as normal, for the water. Whatever # of cups the pot says, divide in half. This is the number of scoops to use. (scoop = 1 T) I use a rounded scoop when dishing out beans to grind, and a level one when using pre-ground beans.

I am boarderline anemic (always have been, thanks mom!) and don't drink coffee in the same setting as my high-iron food for the day. So if I have a spinach salad or enchilada for dinner, I don't have coffee to follow. They counter-act each other. And if I can tell my iron levels have been dipping, I stop drinking coffee for a day or two, to let them build back up (since they grow and dip over time).

I'm not as worried about the caffine as I am about the sugar. I like it a little too sweet, LOL. Maybe I can start cutting back on the sweetener now that I'm switching to flavored soy creamers. We shall see. I haven't made a pot since I picked up that Hazelnut Silk....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page