Quorn freaks me out - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-27-2006, 02:42 PM
Veggie Regular

I have yet to try any Quorn products although I've been tempted over the years. The idea of this mycoprotein fungus gives me the skeebies. Maybe someone can enlighten me on this, but to me it just seems totally vile.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-27-2006, 03:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Nope, I like the idea. I think more products based on quinoa( A grain seed high in protein). would be nice. We need more convient protein alternatives to soy.
#3 Old 10-27-2006, 03:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh, I love the idea of more quinoa products. It doesn't seem like there have been a lot of new alternatives as of late, like it's kind of at a plateau. The whole concept of this cultivated fungussy Quorn stuff just doesn't compute for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-27-2006, 03:37 PM

Quorn makes awesome meatless chicken.
#5 Old 10-27-2006, 03:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Some people are allegic to soy for one thing and these people will not become vegetarian. So having more sources of vegetable protein would be helpful for them.
#6 Old 10-27-2006, 07:40 PM
Veggie Regular

What's so scary about fungus? Mushrooms are fungus, and many people (omni and veg) have no qualms about eating them.

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#7 Old 10-27-2006, 09:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by peace View Post

What's so scary about fungus? Mushrooms are fungus, and many people (omni and veg) have no qualms about eating them.

The whole mushroom != fungus thing is what has gotten quorn a bad rap. But I'm with you in principle.
#8 Old 10-28-2006, 01:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Fugus doesn't freak me out, but what does freak me out are those terrible allergic reactions you hear about people having to Quorn. I'm going to stop being paranoid and try it eventually because I hear good things about the taste, but you know I'm just going to be that one who ends up dying from it...
#9 Old 10-28-2006, 12:05 PM

It has eggs in it so no Quarn for me.
#10 Old 10-28-2006, 06:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodveg View Post

I have yet to try any Quorn products although I've been tempted over the years. The idea of this mycoprotein fungus gives me the skeebies. Maybe someone can enlighten me on this, but to me it just seems totally vile.

Do you eat mushrooms? Ever eaten cheese? Ever eaten bread with yeast? Fungus is food too.
#11 Old 10-28-2006, 06:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel View Post

The whole mushroom != fungus thing is what has gotten quorn a bad rap. But I'm with you in principle.

Mushroom != fungus? (To a C coder, this reads "Mushroom does not equal fungus".) Mushrooms are fungus, though.
#12 Old 10-28-2006, 07:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Boolean error!
#13 Old 10-28-2006, 07:59 PM

I'm not into quorn - I personally don't dig any "meat replacement" type products like TVP and stuff like that. I have tried it though and it is 'OK' - a bit spongey for my liking!
#14 Old 10-28-2006, 10:03 PM

I agree i am not really into the fake meats or meal replacements..and have a small allergic reaction to mushrooms..I have never tried this but appreciate the info and am gonna check it out.
#15 Old 10-29-2006, 08:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggythefrog View Post

Mushroom != fungus? (To a C coder, this reads "Mushroom does not equal fungus".) Mushrooms are fungus, though.

I was referring to this type of matter:

http://www.cspinet.org/new/200312091.html

While I understand that mushrooms may be regarded as fungus, not all fungusses are mushroom.
#16 Old 10-29-2006, 08:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel View Post

While I understand that mushrooms may be regarded as fungus, not all fungus' are mushroom.

That's true. Fungus includes yeasts and molds as well.
#17 Old 10-29-2006, 09:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Article Nigel Linked To View Post

According to mycologists, Quorn’s fungus is as closely related to mushrooms as humans are to jellyfish.

True... If it's a mold, it mostly just shares being part of the same kingdom of life: fungi, in much the same way that we and jellyfish are both part of the animal kingdom. They seem to be trying to use this argument to argue against its edibility. That argument is dubious. That Quorn has an allergen that people react to is a much better argument.
#18 Old 10-29-2006, 09:43 AM
Banned

I agree - it's clearly nitpicking to suggest that there is something wrong with quorn so that it can't compete with morningstar and the like.

I'm hopeful about the product, though I wish they would come up with vegan optionss or sell it as an additive. From what I've read it is an extremely efficient way to grow a highly nutritive food.
#19 Old 10-29-2006, 10:09 AM
Veggie Regular

I love quorn, but I don't consider it to be meat or chicken replacement at all. It's just very tasty food. My main problem with it is the price.
#20 Old 10-30-2006, 09:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Some people might be allergic to quorn, but there are also people allergic to peanuts, seafood, chocolate, strawberries - you get the idea.
#21 Old 10-31-2006, 11:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggielove View Post

Some people might be allergic to quorn, but there are also people allergic to peanuts, seafood, chocolate, strawberries - you get the idea.

That's exactly what I was going to say. I have friends that are deathly allergic to peanuts. That doesn't stop me from eating and and enjoying them.
#22 Old 10-31-2006, 01:25 PM

I love Quorn, I eat it all the time so does my omni huband. But then I've eaten it for years long before becoming a veggie.
#23 Old 11-01-2006, 03:12 PM

Hmmm they have tons of that here in the UK I guess I should check it out!
#24 Old 11-02-2006, 03:35 AM

I eat quorn and have not had a problem with it. Although everyone is obviously different. Again I'm sure everything in the world is a potential allergen to somebody.

I eat quorn also, not as I want to have the taste of meat in my mouth as if "i missed it" or something. I in fact think quorn doesn't taste anything like meat at all (from what I remember) the consistancy is completely different also, and much nicer! (in my opinion). I like quorn because it's a healthy easy meal to cook, and it is low in fat. In fact alot of omni's move onto quorn if they are on a diet as it it really low in fat. Before I was veggie I actually would choose quorn over a meat product as for one, I never liked meat much at all in the first place, and two because it's a healthy meal to eat. But now I do not relate quorn to meat at all I eat it because I like it. What I do not like is why the quorn brand really really really attempt to make quorn look "meaty" and name their things such as fillets, escalopes, (they have burgers that look incredibly like beefburgers! and that's wrong), ... etc. I think the quorn product has the potential to be even better, by leaving it the way it is... and by not putting loads of colourings and coatings all over it, and adding lots of different flavours to it to make it more "meaty" I personally think the quorn people really have ruined their own product, and they are excluding a big area of the Veggie market by doing such.

I actually need to get a more varied diet, so I'm reading the receipies on this board for some tips.

Another tip on the quorn thing ---- it's really a veggie convenience food, so don't get addicted to it or relay on it as your main food alll the time. Plus is really expensive!
#25 Old 11-02-2006, 08:25 AM
Veggie Regular

I LOVE quorn. I think its more like a yeast typey thing than a mushroom though, I hate mushrooms.

Fairly sure that for me its not a meat craving replacer product, as I didnt like meat very much when I was omni, but it means that when yummy sounding recipes call for meat stuff, I have something there to replace it.

I think they try to market it as a meat style product so people know what to do with it. Tofu would work just as well as a meat replacement in fajitas, but because quorn markets itself as fake chicken people are more inclined to try that. Likewise making sausage shaped quorn for putting inside toad in the hole, ham style quorn for sandwiches, and beefburger quorn for barbecues.

I do not like the escalops cos its just too "quorney", but I can understand how they could easily replace that portion of a meal for an ex-omni person (unless everyone thinks that they taste too quorney of course). I also like the way they try to make them taste like the different kinds of meat becuase it means if I have quorn in 3 meals in a week I dont feel like Im eating the same thing over and over and over.
#26 Old 11-02-2006, 11:30 AM
Veggie Regular

I think I have a mental block because it's a fungus grown in a large vat, rather than something that is grown naturally outdoors. It seems too much like something out of Star Trek to me.
#27 Old 11-05-2006, 02:05 AM

I think it tastes pretty good. I have tried some foods from the natural food store that tastes bad. I was very surprised about how good it tasted.
#28 Old 11-05-2006, 09:47 AM

I almost live off the stuff. A personal favourite are the quorn & mushroom pies : )

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page