Burger King Veggie Burgers - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-25-2006, 04:54 PM
Veggie Regular

About once a week I have to go to bf and end up with nowhere to eat except Burger King so I usually get their veggie burger, it's pretty scary I know. I was just wondering what your thoughts are on eating there, is it a very un-pc place? TIA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-25-2006, 07:21 PM
Veggie Regular

they microwave the burgers, and they're not bad..

i personally support it when i choose to eat fast food because it is something you don't normaly find at ff places.
#3 Old 09-25-2006, 07:49 PM
Beginner

I haven't had one because I really really really hate the fast food industry and I don't want to endorse it in even a little bit. That said, I am a little but curious. I don't think that eating a Veggie Burger at Burger King makes anyone a bad vegetarian or that sort of thing. I would just be careful not too get too comfortable, fast food cannot be trusted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-25-2006, 08:22 PM
Veggie Regular

I've tried their veg burger a time or two.

I still prefer the salad.
#5 Old 09-25-2006, 09:21 PM
Veggie Regular

I have tried thier veggie burger they always give me funny looks but they get it.

I heard the manager fuss at the grill guys for puting it on the grill nd made them get a new one to microwave it.

But I guess the ethics there will vary place to place, I was pretty happy to see though that my veggie burger was not going on the meat filled grill
#6 Old 09-25-2006, 10:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Here it's just a whopper with onion rings in place of the meat. SO GOOD.

And wayy cheaper then a whopper.. I've converted a few friends to the onion ring burgers :P
#7 Old 09-25-2006, 10:39 PM
Veggie Regular

I love the BK Veggie. I go there maybe once a week. Keep in mind that they are no longer vegan. They're made by Morningstar Farms and contain egg whites. I don't like the default toppings, so I always custom order it. Their instructions are to always microwave them and keep them seperate from the meat, which is a nice gesture. The fries are vegan and cooked in a (supposedly) seperate frier, which is nice also. So, yeah, I like it and am glad that they're still offering it.
#8 Old 09-25-2006, 10:45 PM
Administrator

I'll eat anywhere as long as they have a vegetarian option.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#9 Old 09-25-2006, 11:06 PM

Thank Gawd for the BK veggie.
#10 Old 09-25-2006, 11:23 PM
Veggie Regular

The BK veggie burger has saved me from starving on salad and fries in many a small, rural town.
#11 Old 09-26-2006, 07:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolut View Post

And wayy cheaper then a whopper.. I've converted a few friends to the onion ring burgers :P

That sounds sooooo good! The burger king I usually go to has the veggie patty. I like it because it actually looks and tastes like it's made from vegetables. I'd rather it didn't have egg whites in it but it's nice to have a vegetarian option at a burger place.
#12 Old 09-26-2006, 07:58 AM
Veggie Regular

In the UK they do a vegan spicy bean burger... and then fry it with chicken and fish products. I noticed this when I was in a motorway service station the other week and there wasn't any takeaway vegan food to be had anywhere, I thought I'd resort to Burger King as I'd looked at their ingredients list on the website and the bean burgers look vegan if they leave the cheese slices off the top. On the menu they had a vegetarian society-approved veggie burger (has milk and eggs in) and the bean burger, which wasn't vegetarian society approved, and there was a footnote saying 'may be be cooked together with chicken/fish products'. Why do they have to make vegan food and then cook it so that it's not vegetarian?? So annoying...

In response to the original question, I wouldn't object to eating there occasionally, and I'd say showing - to BK and to the omnis who eat there - that there is a demand for meat-free products is a good thing.
#13 Old 09-26-2006, 07:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolut View Post

What you've described is a "Rodeo Style Veggie Whopper". They offer the "Veggie Whopper" (a whopper minus the meat) across the country, but rodeo whoppers (whoppers topped with onion rings) are regional. I've never tried ordering a rodeo style veggie whopper, but it does sound pretty good (in that "what's one more heart attack" kind of way).

ETA: I wanted to mention that neither of these items are on the menu, you just have to ask for them. Unless they're new, most employees will know what you're talking about.
#14 Old 09-26-2006, 08:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Here in the UK there are two options: the veggie burger and the beanburger. As a lacto-ovo I used to get the kids' meal with a veggieburger when I was feeling cheap, or a beanburger meal otherwise. Spicy Beanburger no cheese = love. I haven't checked whether it's vegan yet (the veggieburger isn't) but if it is I'll get it again. A fast food place with a delicious vegan burger = somewhere I want to support.
#15 Old 09-26-2006, 08:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by derwenna View Post

In the UK they do a vegan spicy bean burger

yay! it's vegan?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by derwenna View Post

... and then fry it with chicken and fish products.

yeah, I noticed that. But it's still fried in vegetable oil, so whilst the vegetarian society wont approve it, I'm happy to eat it.
#16 Old 09-26-2006, 08:07 AM
Veggie Regular

They don't specifically say it is, but from the ingredients list it looks ok:

from http://www.burgerking.co.uk/pdfs/ingredients.pdf

Beanburger patty

Cooked Red Kidney Beans (31%), Breadcrumbs (14%), (Containing Wheatflour, Raising Agents

(E450/Diphosphates, E500/Sodium Bicarbonate), Yeast, Flour Improvers (E300/Ascorbic Acid, E920/L-Cysteine),

Carrot (10%), Onion (9%), Potato Flake (Containing Emulsifier (E471/mono-and Di-Glycerides Of Fatty Acids)

and Preservative (E223/Sodium Metabisulphite), Rapeseed Oil, Batter (Contains Stabiliser E412/Guar Gum),

Green Peppers (7%), Water, Green Chillies, Salt, Chilli Powder, Garlic Puree, White Pepper.
#17 Old 09-26-2006, 08:11 AM
Veggie Regular

all those E-numbers make my brain hurt

haha.

<< brand new vegan & ingredient-list-reading n00b.
#18 Old 09-26-2006, 08:42 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't consider eating a veggieburger at BK any more obnoxious than eating a veggieburger at Applebees, Denny's, or Buffalo Wild Wings. All mainstream omni restuarants exist mainly to serve huge amounts of meat.

Although it's a shame most places do not offer vegan patties, I still would much rather see a vegetarian choice on a menu than no vegetarian choices at all. Veggieburgers at mainstream restaurants may just encourage an omni to decrease the amount of animals they eat or help a new, young vegetarian stay on track. I support the idea of veggieburgers at BK and other restaurants.

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#19 Old 09-26-2006, 10:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Too bad they don't have the bean burger at the BK's here in the states, they sound pretty good.

I just wanted to mention to any Californians that In n' Out also serve a pretty good veggie sandwich that is basically a burger without the meat, and it is pretty good if you're desperate.
#20 Old 09-26-2006, 10:45 AM
Veggie Regular

I've been meaning to try that but In-n-Out is always so crowded at lunchtime. Their fries are vegan and amazing (they're actually made from real potatoes, what a concept!)
#21 Old 09-26-2006, 10:45 AM
Veggie Regular

I think the BK veggie burger is only so-so, but it does in a pinch. Enough ketchup improves anything, and at least you get the fast food experience if you miss it like I do!

How do you order the onion ring burger? If you order it as a Whopper w/onion rings instead of meat, you'll get charged for both, right?
#22 Old 09-26-2006, 10:54 AM
Veggie Regular

I bet you could get a Whopper Jr. with onion rings instead of meat. The Whopper Jr. is only 99 cents so even if you had to pay extra for the onion rings it would still be pretty cheap.

Oh, and BK slathers mayonnaise on everything so if you're vegan you need to make sure you specify NO MAYO and make sure they understand.
#23 Old 09-26-2006, 10:56 AM
Veggie Regular

I wonder if you could go to Carl's Jr. and get a Western Bacon Cheeseburger with no meat, no bacon, no cheese and extra onion rings 'cuz that would be awesome.
#24 Old 09-26-2006, 11:33 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm not a fan of McD's, but a few times out of desperation I ate their veggie burgers and they were okay. I wonder why they don't have them anymore.
#25 Old 09-26-2006, 04:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselAmy View Post

I think the BK veggie burger is only so-so, but it does in a pinch. Enough ketchup improves anything, and at least you get the fast food experience if you miss it like I do!

How do you order the onion ring burger? If you order it as a Whopper w/onion rings instead of meat, you'll get charged for both, right?

You would want to order it as a "Veggie Whopper" and ask if they can put onion rings on the sandwhich. There's a button for "Veggie Whopper" and it's a lot cheaper than the Whopper. You could ask them for a "Rodeo style Veggie Whopper" but not all Burger Kings use the phrase rodeo style for the added onion rings.
#26 Old 09-26-2006, 04:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodveg View Post

I'm not a fan of McD's, but a few times out of desperation I ate their veggie burgers and they were okay. I wonder why they don't have them anymore.

I thought they still did? (In canada, california, and nyc?)
#27 Old 09-26-2006, 05:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

What you've described is a "Rodeo Style Veggie Whopper". They offer the "Veggie Whopper" (a whopper minus the meat) across the country, but rodeo whoppers (whoppers topped with onion rings) are regional. I've never tried ordering a rodeo style veggie whopper, but it does sound pretty good (in that "what's one more heart attack" kind of way).

ETA: I wanted to mention that neither of these items are on the menu, you just have to ask for them. Unless they're new, most employees will know what you're talking about.

Rodeo style haha odd..

Here they call it a "Salad burger" it isn't on the menu and you have to ask for it specifically. I asked for an onion ring burger once (I thought it would be a much more logical name..) but yeh the woman was all "OH A SALAD BURGER?"'

Rightio then!
#28 Old 09-26-2006, 08:59 PM

I appreciate everyones take on The BK Veggie Burger...I have a Free Coupon for one and wasnt sure I was gonna use it cause it was prob cooked on the same grill as the meat...now that i know that its not.. I am gonna give it a try...Thanx for the info.
#29 Old 09-27-2006, 03:50 AM

I wasn't aware that Burger King served a veggie burger! I'm anxious to try it out. If you want a good veggie burger at home Boca meatless burgers are good with any whole grain bread which is best if made at home without hydrogenated oils.
#30 Old 09-27-2006, 04:55 AM

Harvey's has a veggie burger too, I have that when I go there with my dad and it's not that bad.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page