veg*n multivitamins/supplements?? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-27-2006, 04:09 PM

after about a few weeks into veganism i've been starting to feel symptoms that i think might be from lack of iron....i've been feeling weaker than usual (used to be just in the evenings but now i feel like that all day), and i've been getting these odd headaches only in my forehead which i read somewhere are from lack of iron. (i've also been feeling dizzy and seeing black spots when i get up)

soo right now i take regular multivitamins and calcium supplements, but i want to start taking some that have more iron, or just iron supplements. i'm worried about my vitamine B12 intake as well so it would be better if that supplement had more v b12.

so can anyone please suggest a specific brand to check out that is more suitable for veg*ns?? there is no way i am going back to eating cheese and milk, yuck.

i'm kind of new here by the way, hi!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-27-2006, 05:27 PM

Oh hey!

I love to use this in my fruit smoothies. It is a vegan multivitamin powder that is rice based. You can take a look at the nuts and bolts of it here: http://www.all-one.com/en/rice.php. I'd average the price around $30 depending where you go...I got it at Whole Foods for $27.99; I paid $34.99 at a smaller natural foods store. I guess if you don't like smoothies you could use it in something else.
#3 Old 08-27-2006, 05:34 PM

I suggest that you go to see a doctor about your symptoms. They may prescribe iron supplements, depending on your iron levels (determined by blood tests).

Here are some vegan multivitamin/mineral supplements - http://www.veganstore.com/index-stor...2&deptid=21236

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-27-2006, 09:15 PM

thanks guys for your responses.

i'll be seeing my doctor soon anyway, so i can bring it up then and see what she says.
#5 Old 08-28-2006, 01:07 PM
Banned

Just to let you know, its nearly impossible that you will experience any nutritional deficiency from 3 weeks of veganism. However, if you are not eating enough, you could experience feelings of weakness, headaches, and see "stars" like you describe (from low blood sugar.)

Please read around in the health forums. You will see a lot of posts like this. Please note, however, that many of these questions are from people with eating disorders, not people with healthy vegetarian diets.

In the meantime, please get a book called "Becoming Vegan". It is written by nutritionists and will calm some of your fears about your new diet.
#6 Old 08-28-2006, 01:34 PM
Veggie Regular

How do you feel about getting iron from food?

Spinach, broccoli, dried fruits, prune juice, blackstrap molasses, pumpkin seeds, and sesame seeds are good dietary sources of iron.

Also consuming foods high in vitamin C should help with iron absorption.

I think it's better to meet your nutritional needs from the foods you eat without supplementation. Unless you see a nutritionist and they recommended it.

I take a B12 vitamin. That's it. And I feel bloody great.

Cooking food in a cast iron pan is also a good way to get a little extra iron in you.

Are you sure you're eating regularly enough? Some of your symptoms sound like it could be your blood sugar level spiking and crashing.

It's really impossible for a trained professional much less some dude on the internet to diagnose the problem without knowing what and when you eat.

Cheers!

TJ
#7 Old 08-28-2006, 01:50 PM
Veggie Regular

You've got a lot of great responses here, so I won't repeat what's already been said.

Were you lacto/ovo before you became vegan or did you jump right in from eating meat? I ask this because there is practically no iron in milk and very little in eggs. So if you were lacto/ovo before.. unless you're eating drastically different than you had before, it's unlikely that iron has become an issue so quickly.
#8 Old 08-28-2006, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstutzma View Post

Just to let you know, its nearly impossible that you will experience any nutritional deficiency from 3 weeks of veganism. However, if you are not eating enough, you could experience feelings of weakness, headaches, and see "stars" like you describe (from low blood sugar.)

Please read around in the health forums. You will see a lot of posts like this. Please note, however, that many of these questions are from people with eating disorders, not people with healthy vegetarian diets.

In the meantime, please get a book called "Becoming Vegan". It is written by nutritionists and will calm some of your fears about your new diet.

it's true that i might not be eating enough during the day....i stay home a lot more now, and my eating habits aren't as regular.

i have the book "becoming vegetarian" and it has been very helpful for me in the past two year, so i will def. look for "becoming vegan".
#9 Old 08-28-2006, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyvel View Post

You've got a lot of great responses here, so I won't repeat what's already been said.

Were you lacto/ovo before you became vegan or did you jump right in from eating meat? I ask this because there is practically no iron in milk and very little in eggs. So if you were lacto/ovo before.. unless you're eating drastically different than you had before, it's unlikely that iron has become an issue so quickly.

yep i've been lacto/ovo for the past two years.

for some reason when i became vegan i assumed iron would be a problem without thinking too much about it (even though i've been fine with it for the past two years). now that i'm looking more into it i realize it probably isn't the problem.
#10 Old 08-29-2006, 04:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by treefingers View Post

yep i've been lacto/ovo for the past two years.

for some reason when i became vegan i assumed iron would be a problem without thinking too much about it (even though i've been fine with it for the past two years). now that i'm looking more into it i realize it probably isn't the problem.

Well hopefully you will figure out what is going on. Take a few days and really focus on eating healthy, and then see how you feel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page