Meat Substitutes? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-25-2006, 07:07 PM

I'm coming up on my first year of being a vegetarian. I'm looking to expand my diet just a little bit. I was wondering how people feel about the meat substitutes. I have yet to have anything like Boca burger. I was wondering if some vegetarian/vegans are uncomfortable eating something that is supposed to mimic meat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-25-2006, 07:25 PM

I have been vegan for about 2 months now. When I checked out the meat substitutes at the store, I was a little perplexed with some of the ingrediants. My whole plan is to eat "CLEAN"....so I would rather make my own burgers, etc with cabbage, carrots and beans. Also, I am still on the fence about soy! Don't know how I feel about it.

Karen
#3 Old 08-25-2006, 07:26 PM
Banned

I've never had a problem eating the meat substitutes. I didn't stop eating meat because I didn't like the taste. I stopped eating it because I like the animals. I see nothing wrong with eating vegetable-based products, whatever they mimic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-25-2006, 08:46 PM
Veggie Regular

I found that the meat substitute products, in addition to being expensive, can be habit-forming and cause you to get less creative with your food. They also tend to contain a lot of highly processed ingredients, which are generally less desirable than whole, natural foods. If you've been doing fine so far without them, I'd suggest continuing to leave them out of your diet.

As far as being uncomfortable with the idea of eating something that resembles a hunk of dead animal, some people are and some people aren't. It's totally up to you.

If you're craving something burger-like, I do have a great recipe for the Ultimate Veggie Burger that is made with whole grains, nuts, and veggies and tastes great
#5 Old 08-25-2006, 08:49 PM
Banned

Yeah, if you haven't had them for the past year, I'd say don't bother unless you're having a craving, or are just wanting something that can be more like omni foods (at cookouts or whatever.)
#6 Old 08-25-2006, 08:56 PM

I LOVE Boca burgers. That brand, too. I mean, obviously don't have one everyday or anything, just like you wouldn't have a Big Mac everyday, but they are MUCH healthier than the meat ones and taste better, IMO. Boca Burgers, the vegan kind are delicious and I don't think I have formed a "habit" or are in any way addicted to them. I also tried some Chikn Starters strip things from Morningstar Farms, but they tasted too much like the real thing which kind of ruined it. Oh, and since way before I became vegan or vegetarian I used to eat the Morningstar Farms sausage patties. If you are in the mood for an "all american breakfast", the sausage patties are pretty good. And...well, I have tried lots of brands in my quest for the perfect "easy meal" (let's face it, you don't have an hour or more to dedicate to food preparation every day...sometimes you just need to microwave something). Oh, the Morningstar Farms "ground beef/meat" or whatever is really good in tacos with beans. Even meat eaters can;t tell the difference. They're all like, "I thought you were vegetarian". Oh, and there are some called Gardenburgers which were made from whole grains and stuff, They were pretty tasty too, but a much different flavor. I think of them as different foods than the soy burgers. And soy will not kill you, just thought I would add that...or I would be dead by now...
#7 Old 08-26-2006, 04:21 AM
Veggie Regular

That's interesting.

I would think more people use them as a transitional food and eliminate the need as they learn new recipes, new ingredients and new ways of cooking, not cut out meat and introduce meat analogs a year later. That's bananas!

That wasn't the case for me in 1992 when all I had were Wheat Balls and garden burgers, grumble grumble.

Nowadays there's lots to choose from, although some have eggs and milk ingredients (if that's a concern for you) and are made by companies that also package meat (if that is a concern for you and not the sort of company you want to give your money too.)

Personally I eat one or two fake meat thinks a week (Yves "chicken" tenders mostly). My wife like them and it's just easier than cooking separate meals.

I'm not bothered by them of offended per se, it's more that I find a lot of them nasty.

Either kind of rubbery, or Play-Dougy, or else in the case of Tofurkey, like incredibly dense, chewy weird-tasting bread (and their deli slices trigger my gag reflex harder than the mere thought of the sight of Ron Jeremy naked.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonJumper View Post

Soy will not kill you, just thought I would add that...or I would be dead by now...

I too would have suffered a soy induced demise long, long ago. I've probably eaten the tofu equivalent of nine king size mattresses in my life.

Cheers!

TJ, soy boy
#8 Old 08-26-2006, 06:57 AM

Meat substitutes work well for me since I grew up liking the taste of meat.

My favorite burger = Morningstar Farms Vegan Grillers

My favorite meatless chicken = Quorn's Naked Cutlets

My favorite meatless hot dogs = Worthington's
#9 Old 08-26-2006, 07:01 AM

Meat substitutes work well for me since I grew up liking the taste of meat.

My favorite burger = Morningstar Farms Vegan Grillers

My favorite meatless chicken = Quorn's Naked Cutlets

My favorite meatless hot dogs = Worthington's
#10 Old 08-26-2006, 08:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeezycreezy View Post

I would think more people use them as a transitional food and eliminate the need as they learn new recipes, new ingredients and new ways of cooking, not cut out meat and introduce meat analogs a year later. That's bananas!

I did it the same way. I was veg for probably 8 months before I ever bought a single fake meat product at the grocery store. I had veggie burgers at 1 or 2 restaurants during that time, but that was it. I think this was mainly because I already liked beans and rice and vegetables, so those were familiar foods that I was comfortable with, whereas all these meat analogs were new and scary. I started incorporating them after the first 8 months or so because I was looking to expand the universe of things I ate.
#11 Old 08-26-2006, 04:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesseract View Post

I did it the same way. I was veg for probably 8 months before I ever bought a single fake meat product at the grocery store.

That's not just bananas. That's crumbelievable!

Like I said, when I started out there just wasn't much available.

There were Wheat Balls, a powder mixture which you added water to and formed into glutinous balls. They required a lot of mushroom gravy. You know. If you're fussy about taste. I don't think they make them any more.

The only veggieburgers available were made from sawdust with added bits of corn and peas in them to throw unsuspecting diners off the trail.

And then were was, no wait. There wasn't. That was it.

So I added the odd new meat analog into my diet here and there as they came along over the years.

That's how it went for me.

I just figured recent converts would make the switch to the fake crap right away. I think this may well be the first time I was wrong on veggieboards. ( Huh. A single blemish on my otherwise flawless record. Damn!)

Another problem I have is that so many of the fake meats contain egg and milk ingredients which, from my perspective (which doesn't have to be yours) means you might as well eat meat.

These are good when fried and added to certain dishes and are suitable for vegans:

http://www.yvesveggie.com/ca/index.php?id=85

Anyway, you weren't looking for jeezycreezy's history of fake meat. So I'll just leave it at that.

Cheers!

TJ
#12 Old 08-27-2006, 05:55 PM
Heart Beet

i hear ya jeezycreezy.

back in the day even if you ordered a sandwich without meat they looked at you and asked what kind. i DONT miss that at all.

fake meats are crazy expensive but can also be yummy. personally i like to make my own for the most part. i make seitan in mock beef, chicken and fish versions and use accordingly. i also make tofu seem like meat sometimes. only ones i buy are the occational vegan boca burger.

i say if you arent already addicted, dont start buying them now. make your own or go without. they are habit forming, processed and too expensive.

sure are good though.
#13 Old 08-27-2006, 11:10 PM
Veggie Regular

I dont really like the term meat substitute because meat and dairy don't need "substitutes". They are not required for a healthy body.

now the flavored texured soy protein and other "fake meats" can be alright, but I dont really eat them a whole lot anymore. Maybe veggie crumbles or "steak strips" with something once in a great while, but as I progress more and more into this diet, the less and less I have any taste for fake meats.

i used ot use veggie balogna on a sandwich, but now most of my sandwiches consist of veggies and hummus - they taste better and are better for you.

---

when i first went veggie though... i ate tons of the stuff. veggie chicken nuggets/corn dogs/ burgers / chicken patties/ etc etc.
#14 Old 08-28-2006, 02:11 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm a fan of various fake meats, more for the convenience than the taste. Like others have said, some people feel uncomfortable eating them, but IMO there's nothing wrong with eating them. I ate more of them when I first became veggie than I do now, but I still go through quite a few Linda McCartney sausages. Yum.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page