Where's my Free Vegetarian Starter Kit? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-23-2006, 06:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Ok, I signed up for PeTA's free vegetarian starter kit around 7 months ago. But the only thing I've ever gotten from them are personalized labels and donation requests. Has anyone actually gotten this kit? What's in it exactly? I want to know whether or not I should be disappointed.

~Wonder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-23-2006, 07:01 AM
Beginner

I don't think PETA really has a clue as to what they are doing, whenever I see them it is always big breasted women getting naked, they just seem like attention whore type people, I dont pay any heed to them. How does stripping your clothes off and making a fool of yourself help animals? I think they may need to rethink their tactics, nobody I know takes them seriously, especialyl with Pam Anderson as a spokesperson.
#3 Old 08-23-2006, 07:02 AM

I got one.. It was just some reading material to get you started in the right direction with your diet, and to make you feel guilty about ever eating or wearing anything from an animal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-23-2006, 07:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Mod Note: This is a question of whether anyone has received their starter kit and not a question of personal opinions about Peta. Please stay on topic.
#5 Old 08-23-2006, 07:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunchie Munchie View Post

I got one.. It was just some reading material to get you started in the right direction with your diet, and to make you feel guilty about ever eating or wearing anything from an animal.

Hmmm.... Did they at least have meal ideas or anything like that?
#6 Old 08-23-2006, 07:13 AM
Veggie Regular

I received TWO. Because I got the first when I requested it, and then I forgot I requested it and asked for it again.

If you want a "Starter Pack", I recommend this from Vegan Outreach They're an AR group that doesn't get the publicity that PETA gets, but they do good work also. Their starter pack is free, but you may want to throw a few $$ their way to help cover the cost, and maybe a little extra. As you can see if you look at their website, one of their main outreach efforts is leafletting at colleges and universities, and they could certainly use some donations to help them gear up for the new school year.

*this space not for sale*
#7 Old 08-23-2006, 07:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggythefrog View Post

Hmmm.... Did they at least have meal ideas or anything like that?

yes it does include meal ideas and nutritional information. there were a couple of pamphlets that were sad though. I ordered it for Ryan and got it in about a month.
#8 Old 08-23-2006, 08:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Wonder View Post

Ok, I signed up for PeTA's free vegetarian starter kit around 7 months ago. But the only thing I've ever gotten from them are personalized labels and donation requests. Has anyone actually gotten this kit? What's in it exactly? I want to know whether or not I should be disappointed.

~Wonder

Don't be disappointed (with their service anyway)! I have always had good service from PETA including the starter kit. They do however ship US Postal Service, which is highly unreliable and probably lost or re-routed it. Do another request, I generally get their free items within 3-4 weeks.
#9 Old 08-23-2006, 08:09 AM

Mine was just a magazine thing
#10 Old 08-23-2006, 08:11 AM
Veggie Regular

I got one and it had a magazine with info and recipes. It was cool because it came with some stickers and stuff. I was already a vegetarian so it didn't do much more for me, but it had good info.
#11 Old 08-23-2006, 08:12 AM
Veggie Regular

You can get an electronic copy here http://www.petaliterature.com/VEG297.pdf
#12 Old 08-23-2006, 06:53 PM
Veggie Regular

I ordered mine 2.5 years ago.

I'm still waiting.

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#13 Old 08-23-2006, 06:59 PM
Veggie Regular

I didn't get anything except a link to some online material that I think I could have found on my own.
#14 Old 08-23-2006, 07:06 PM
Veggie Regular

I got one, I can't remember exactly what was in it, but I do remember a few booklets...pretty much information on vegetarianism, animals and the enviroment. It included tips and facts, recipes and ideas on what to buy if you want to give up meat and dairy.

I remember getting mine in a few weeks, try contacting them or requesting another one.
#15 Old 08-23-2006, 10:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Meh, if it's just a bunch of information I already know then I'm not going to worry about it. I just thought it odd that they'd send me donation requests before the actual information kit. I just wish I knew what to do with the labels, I don't do much mailing. Maybe after a couple of years I'll cover my wall with them. Thanks everyone.

~Wonder
#16 Old 08-23-2006, 11:16 PM
Veggie Regular

I got mine within like 3 weeks. I think when you request it that's what they tell you. I donate pretty frequently to PETA so don't get any donation requests.
#17 Old 08-24-2006, 07:21 AM

Compassion Over Killing has a veg starter kit as well.
#18 Old 08-24-2006, 08:50 AM
Veggie Regular

It takes awhile. They said it would be 3 weeks and it took EXACTLY 3 weeks to get my PETA starter kit. In the meantime I sent off for and recieved Vegetarian starter kits from several other organizations. Althought there is some repetition in the information, they are all different and all good. I like them all, but my favorite one of all is a leaflet from Mercy for Animals called Cruelty Free Eating. So while you are waiting for your PETA starter kit, why not try getting info from some of the other vegetarian sources such as:

PCRM (downloadable) http://www.pcrm.org/health/veginfo/vsk/

Mercy for Animals http://www.mercyforanimals.org/vegan_starter_kit.asp

Veg news Starter Kit http://www.vegkit.org/

Try Veg http://www.tryveg.com/request/

Farm Sanctuary Starter Kit http://www.vegforlife.org/vegforlife2.pdf
#19 Old 08-24-2006, 03:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Funny I was just talking to my fiancé about his the other day. I signed him up for a "Vegetarian Starter Kit" over 3 weeks ago.

When I ordered mine it was 2 years ago and I received the kit within 1 week. I received a brochure with coupons on Tofutti ice cream sandwiches.

"With confidence, you have won before you have started" - Marcus Garvey
#20 Old 08-24-2006, 03:50 PM
Veggie Regular

~Wonder...I know there are Vegetarian Starter Kit kiosks in Chicago, but I don't know where they're located. I'm sure the fabulous Dave Dandelion, who is a member here and the rockin' organizer of the Chicago Vegan Meetup, can tell you how to easily obtain one. I'll bet he has access to some and could/would bring one to a meetup for you. That means, though, that you'd have to attend a meetup to get it. (Not very subtle, am I?)
#21 Old 08-24-2006, 05:29 PM

I got it and it's what made me become vegan . Anyway, it's a magazine with all the basics about vegetarianism and veganims. It talks about the health benefits of giving up animals products, how pregnant women and children can and do thrive on these diets, and the only skims the surface of the horrors of the meat industry. Very quick and information packed read. It has a few pages with meal ideas, and ideas for meat or dairy replacers. it helped me out quite abit at first. I got it in about a month.
#22 Old 08-25-2006, 12:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnelian View Post

~Wonder...I know there are Vegetarian Starter Kit kiosks in Chicago, but I don't know where they're located. I'm sure the fabulous Dave Dandelion, who is a member here and the rockin' organizer of the Chicago Vegan Meetup, can tell you how to easily obtain one. I'll bet he has access to some and could/would bring one to a meetup for you. That means, though, that you'd have to attend a meetup to get it. (Not very subtle, am I?)

But your transvestite ray ...

I do plan on going to a meetup, it's just that it's always planned at the most inconvenient times. I won't be able to go to the one on Sept 2 either, I'll be out of town.

Just think of it this way, the longer you have to wait to meet me, the more gratifying it will be

~Wonder
#23 Old 08-25-2006, 10:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Wonder View Post

Just think of it this way, the longer you have to wait to meet me, the more gratifying it will be

~Wonder

You're such a tease!
#24 Old 08-25-2006, 10:36 AM
Veggie Regular

I was trying to get the one from vegpledge.com and their online form was broken. The website says its 36 pages and comes with a free 6 month subscription to vegetarian times.
#25 Old 08-25-2006, 11:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Bleah... what a bad magazine to give vegetarians free! Seriously.... Sorry, back on topic. :P

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page