diabetic vegetarian - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-13-2006, 04:41 PM
MTC

Are there any others out there. Im a type one diabetic and sometimes I feel like the only one in the world

you dont eat meat or sugar, then what do you eat

LOL they just dont get it, but even fellow diabetics freak out that Im vegetarian as they rely on meat/cheese since its carbless. And ::gasp:: I had drastically better control after becoming veg (I think it has to do with cleaning out the body and thus the liver is less toxified)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-13-2006, 06:53 PM

Well I'm a vegetarian Hypoglycemic, I just found out a month ago... Essentially I have to eat very similarly to you...six meals a day, lotsa protein, and like you said, very little sugar or white flour. I'm finding it somewhat tricky, but I'm dealing with it ok. I was also kinda feeling like there aren't too many others who are dealing with this kind of problem, and was going to post something about it, but you beat me to it!

People are reacting wierdly to it...My sister in law asked me what I will eat now and said something silly like "when in doubt, reach for a burger...or chicken." Sigh...
#3 Old 08-13-2006, 08:01 PM

A good diet for diabetics then? That's awesome. ^_^

My grandmother and sister are both diabetic. My mom tried to get them to go on a vegetarian diet when my sis and I visited gram. Neither of them went for it. *rolleyes* Silly girls.

Going off topic, have you ever tried cinnimonn (sp??)? My sis and gram tried it, a demand of my mom's :P, it really helped to lower their blood sugar, and whatever other effects I forget. They say it works much better than prescribed medications.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-13-2006, 10:01 PM
Banned

A guy I used to be friends with has type 1 diabetes. I showed him meet your meat and he went veg. He lost weight, but he never had the best eating habits. It's a year and a half later, and he's still veg.
#5 Old 08-13-2006, 10:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTC View Post

Are there any others out there. Im a type one diabetic and sometimes I feel like the only one in the world

you dont eat meat or sugar, then what do you eat

LOL they just dont get it, but even fellow diabetics freak out that Im vegetarian as they rely on meat/cheese since its carbless. And ::gasp:: I had drastically better control after becoming veg (I think it has to do with cleaning out the body and thus the liver is less toxified)

Congrats!

Keep to your diet, you're doing the right thing.

Meat and cheese are high in saturated fatty acids, something which is even more problematic with diabetics.

If I'm not answering quickly enough - leave a note on Twitter for @Rheumatologe
#6 Old 08-14-2006, 11:40 AM

I have type 1 diabetes. I've been transitioning to vegetarian since May, and I hope to go vegan eventually. I'm still trying to figure all this out. Did you have to change your insulin dosage because most vegetarian sources of protein also have lots of carbohydrates (at least compared to meat)?
#7 Old 08-15-2006, 06:47 PM

I was never diagnosed w/diabetes but can relate. When I used to follow the the SAD and was much heavier I had symptoms that I now understand as blood sugar problems. I am sure I had pre-diabetes. I am not at all surprised by those who say they can better control their blood sugar as a vegan or vegetarian especially with whole foods.

At one of the local medical centers the Director of Diabetes Care is a RN and practicing vegan. They are recommending vegan diets and showing the Rave diet movie to the patients.

For me the main key is plenty of non-starchy vegetables and a fair amount of them raw. If you are at all familiar with the Rave diet there is spot in the book where they draw the pyramid w/whole grains on the bottom and fruits/veggies next up. But then they say some people think they should be switched around. I am one that thinks they should be switched around.

Hope this lends encouragement to some folks out there!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page