Am I missing something? (Still Hungry After Eating) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-09-2006, 06:47 PM

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

Anyway, after eating sometimes it feels like I'm still hungry, even though moments before I had felt full. It's like an empty feeling in my stomache, but not rumbling like when you really are hungry. I don't get it. =/ Is there something I'm missing? It only started happening after

On another forum there had been someone who made a post similar to that. Except she had pains in her stomache.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-09-2006, 08:14 PM
Veggie Regular

It could be gas. Do you drink carbonated beverages or foods with a lot of air in them?

~Wonder
#3 Old 08-09-2006, 08:42 PM
Veggie Regular

it only takes about 30 minutes for carbs to be used up. It takes about 1 hour for starch like rice, potatos and pasta. Maybe you need more protien and fat-- those take a lot longer to be used up 3-4 hours. I don't know what you are eating so I wouldnt know, but if it is only salad and greenbeans you need protein. You can get pains from eating too much fiber. When I was transitioning I was doubled over in pain a lot, plus went to the bathroom a lot, and had to eat a lot of food (gained 30 pounds). Who said this was natural! LOL. Carbs are sugar and they ferment in your stomach especially if you are over-run with yeast. You also go to the bathroom a bunch of times per day. You also need to eat almost all day long to support your metabolism (if you eat only vegetables) unless you are really skinny and tiny. Eat some beans or veggi burgers. that might help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-10-2006, 06:41 AM

I had the same problem at first, your body gets used to eating this way after a while. Took me about 2 months after I stopped eating meat before I started feeling full longer.
#5 Old 08-10-2006, 06:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Can you give us some ideas so to what you eat in a typical day? We'd be better able to advise you if we knew.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#6 Old 08-10-2006, 07:59 AM
Veggie Regular

As was said, without knowing specifics:

Eat more protein and fat.

Eat nuts.

Choose complex carbs over simple carbs. There's a reason behind the tired old "Why are you hungry again an hour after eating Chinese food" joke—Chinese food is mostly simple carbohydrates.

Drink a lot of water. Your body often mistakes thirst for hunger, so staying hydrated means you'll probably also stay satiated. Have a glass before and after a meal.

Cheers!

TJ
#7 Old 08-10-2006, 08:17 AM
Veggie Regular

I've been getting that intermittently for years, since long before I was a vegetarian. When it happens, I can't possibly be hungry because I've just eaten a big nutritious (or sometimes junky) meal maybe 20 minutes before. I've just learned to ignore it as a false signal. So it might not have anything to do with what you're eating or not eating.

I joke that I must have just eaten subtraction stew. Any Phantom Tollbooth fans here?
#8 Old 08-11-2006, 09:46 PM
Veggie Regular

me! me! pick me tess!
#9 Old 08-13-2006, 12:59 AM
Veggie Regular

I sometimes get a feeling exactly like what you are describing. When I get it, it is when I've eaten lots of raw fruits and vegetables at a meal. I never feel that way after I've eaten a lot of "hearty" food like beans and grains and potatoes.
#10 Old 08-13-2006, 02:14 AM
Banned

Bet if you eat a whole can of beans, with some olive oil, and some salt and pepper. You won't be huingry for a while. Garbonso beans of kidney beans taste great like this. rinse the well first, pop them in the microwave, condoments and you off. Sweet basil, thyme,even parsely add nice flavors as well. Tops 400 calories, less than 100 calories for a can of string beans.

Manga-Manga! (that's "eat-eat" in Italian)
#11 Old 08-13-2006, 03:33 AM
Veggie Regular

i usually get this if i've eaten my food too fast. try not to eat whilst watching tv or something else distracting. you tend to eat more quickly if you're not focusing on your food. you gobble food down, and it doesnt have a chance to really 'break up' if you know what i mean. chew food slowly, for about 30 seconds before swallowing.

sit at the table & eat and put down your knife & fork between each mouthful. food takes 20mins or thereabouts to digest, so you wont feel full until 20-30mins after eating. if you take about 20mins to eat a meal, you should feel full afterwards, and it should last. if you eat slowly that is, and enjoy every mouthful
#12 Old 08-13-2006, 06:06 PM
Veggie Regular

I used to have that problem. Then I realized that my diet of rice&beans, tofu&vegetable stirfries and fruit was too low in fat. I started adding avocados and trail mix and peanut butter to my diet and I felt much better. What do you typically eat in a day?

It's not in what you say, it's in what you do (Oasis)

Feeling bored? Why don't you wander over to my blog sometime. http://thebohemiankitchen.wordpress.com
#13 Old 08-13-2006, 06:12 PM
Banned

http://www.nutritiondata.com/fullness-factor.html

http://www.nutritiondata.com/index.html

This site has a lot to offer, even if it contains all foods, even non-veg.

This is the page that talks about the fullness factor of foods, but dont forget to go to the home page to check out all the information available.
#14 Old 08-13-2006, 09:30 PM

Right, what I eat in a day.

Breakfast: either a bowl of cereal (usually a healthy kind) with vanilla soymilk, or an egg, some hashbrowns, and wheat toast. Lunch: maybe a sandwich, salad, or whatever is good. Dinner: some beans/rice, noodles, or whatever my family makes for dinner sans the meat they use.

What I eat is pretty inconsistent. I don't keep a journal of it or anything. *shrug*

Thanks for the advice. ^_^ Much appreciated.
#15 Old 08-14-2006, 08:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwgan View Post

Right, what I eat in a day.

Breakfast: either a bowl of cereal (usually a healthy kind) with vanilla soymilk, or an egg, some hashbrowns, and wheat toast. Lunch: maybe a sandwich, salad, or whatever is good. Dinner: some beans/rice, noodles, or whatever my family makes for dinner sans the meat they use.

What I eat is pretty inconsistent. I don't keep a journal of it or anything. *shrug*

Thanks for the advice. ^_^ Much appreciated.

Try keeping a journal for a few days, then posting. The more specific you are the more helpful we can be.

If you're having cereal for breakfast, add in some fruit and nuts. If it's an egg/hashbrowns/toast, try putting peanut butter on your toast, and you still need to add in a fruit/veggie to that meal. For lunch, a salad, unless it's filled with nuts/beans/lots of different veggies/fruits, isn't going to sustain you for long. If you're having a sandwich, make sure it has whol grain/protein/fat and add in fruits/veggies with your meal. Dinner sounds fairly carb heavy which is going to digest fast. The key is having whole grains, fruits/veggies, fats and proteins at each meal.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page