About Quorn - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-05-2006, 02:07 PM
Beginner

Remember my post where I got very ill after eating quorn? Well I wrote to them, the supermarket and the government website. I got a refund from Quorn last week and a gift card from the supermarket. I still want Quorn to add that label, and becareful if you eat it. I was sick a good 2 weeks.

Tricia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-05-2006, 08:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Some people just have allergies to mycoprotein. That's all the issue with it is.
#3 Old 12-27-2010, 08:32 PM

Quorn? Never heard of it (Canadian veg since circa 97), a quick googling reveals its nature.
What does this stuff taste like. I dont know if I am interested in trying it or absolutely disgusted. . . Nothing against single celled organisms,.. it just seems to sciency to be healthy.

For the best, healthiest, cheapest and most delicious vegetarian recipes on the web, check out The Cheap Vegetarian @ www.thecheapvegetarian.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-27-2010, 08:45 PM
Banned

i'm glad you got responses at least.

they should really add a label- fair enough, people are allergic to all sorts of stuff, but the reactions to this aint apparently nice, and because its not something common thats been around for yoinks, many people just aren't aware of the risk.

i can see why they don't though- how many people would just put it back on the shelf after reading something like "adverse reactions to mycoprotein have been reported by some consumers. while apparently uncommon, these reactions can be both unpleasant and potentially dangerous, and may include hives, breathing difficulties, vomiting and GI distress. those with allergic asthma, histamine sensitivity, mould and fungi allergies and/or other allergic conditions should consult with their doctor prior to consuming quorn." ? my guess is quite a few.
#5 Old 12-28-2010, 01:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Interesting I am allergic to Penicillin (and highly allergic to mold apparently the two are linked) and I LOVE Quorn, well wait. I have only tried the naked chicken cutlets but YUM. I thought they were totally yummers. However many of their products also contain eggs and therefore make them inappropriate for many people here

http://haylieskitchen.blogspot.com/ (married to an omni so cooking from both spectrums)
#6 Old 12-28-2010, 01:33 PM
Super Moderator

I literally just finished my Quorn lunch I'm not allergic in the least, it's my fav.

Old thread!!!
#7 Old 12-28-2010, 05:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Hmm, I have tried a few Quorn products and never fell ill from them, but I didn't much like the taste of them either.
#8 Old 12-28-2010, 06:07 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeneticallymodified View Post

i'm glad you got responses at least.

they should really add a label- fair enough, people are allergic to all sorts of stuff, but the reactions to this aint apparently nice, and because its not something common thats been around for yoinks, many people just aren't aware of the risk.

i can see why they don't though- how many people would just put it back on the shelf after reading something like "adverse reactions to mycoprotein have been reported by some consumers. while apparently uncommon, these reactions can be both unpleasant and potentially dangerous, and may include hives, breathing difficulties, vomiting and GI distress. those with allergic asthma, histamine sensitivity, mould and fungi allergies and/or other allergic conditions should consult with their doctor prior to consuming quorn." ? my guess is quite a few.

WOW! I bought Quorn my first veg Thanksgiving and thought it was disgusting! my kids kind of liked it though...
Anyway, I really only had a couple bites at different times, trying to figure it out, and a good thing because molds are my biggest allergen. Darn right it should be labeled.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#9 Old 12-28-2010, 06:15 PM
Super Moderator

I don't think it should be labeled, I think people with food allergies should know what to look for in the ingredients list. Too many labels and too many warnings The box already says "Quorn is made with mycoprotein ("myco" is Greek for "fungi"). There are believed to be over 600,000 varieties of fungi in the world, many of which are among the most sought after foods like varieties of mushrooms, truffles, and morsels." It says it's fungi right on the box.
#10 Old 12-28-2010, 06:59 PM
Veggie Regular

I've tried Quorn several times now, most recently two months ago, and unfortunately I am one of those who simply cannot eat it. Which is too bad because I really did like the flavor! At first I assumed it was because there is dairy in some of them, but in actuality I think it is because of my mold allergy. I can get away with eating some things, like mushrooms, but apparently Quorn is not one of them.
#11 Old 12-29-2010, 05:27 AM
Veggie Regular

I loved to eat quorn when I was in Switzerland. Unfortunately it's not available in Germany as it seems. However, most quorn products seem to contain egg protein anyway so maybe it's good I don't have that temptation available.
#12 Old 12-29-2010, 09:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

I don't think it should be labeled, I think people with food allergies should know what to look for in the ingredients list. Too many labels and too many warnings The box already says "Quorn is made with mycoprotein ("myco" is Greek for "fungi"). There are believed to be over 600,000 varieties of fungi in the world, many of which are among the most sought after foods like varieties of mushrooms, truffles, and morsels." It says it's fungi right on the box.

What Dana said

Can you imagine if all potential allergens had to be listed on packaging? We would need big packets.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein
#13 Old 12-29-2010, 09:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jernord View Post

Quorn? Never heard of it (Canadian veg since circa 97), a quick googling reveals its nature.
What does this stuff taste like. I dont know if I am interested in trying it or absolutely disgusted. . . Nothing against single celled organisms,.. it just seems to sciency to be healthy.

I've tried a few of their products and I quite like the taste and texture, but I agree about the science experiementy-ness of it.

Our Generation has had no Great war, no Great Depression. Our war is spiritual. Our depression is our lives.
#14 Old 12-29-2010, 10:20 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone T View Post

What Dana said

Can you imagine if all potential allergens had to be listed on packaging? We would need big packets.

We would all need to invest in big rigs just to bring home groceries from the store
#15 Old 12-29-2010, 11:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortstack View Post

Interesting I am allergic to Penicillin (and highly allergic to mold apparently the two are linked) and I LOVE Quorn, well wait. I have only tried the naked chicken cutlets but YUM. I thought they were totally yummers. However many of their products also contain eggs and therefore make them inappropriate for many people here

Don't all their products (in the US) contain eggs or milk ingredients?
#16 Old 12-29-2010, 11:44 AM
Veggie Regular

I love, love, LOVE Quorn and it has SAVED dinners at my house with my omni husband!! He prefers Quorn to real chicken!! Sweet, sweet Quorn....You have made my life SO much easier!! I have a GREAT vegetarian recipe for the naked cutlets!!

Quorn Cutlets
Taco Seasoning
Salsa
Cheese (optional)

Wet the frozen cutlets a little with water or soy milk
Sprinkle taco seasoning on both sides
Place cutlets in glass baking dish
Cover with salsa
Bake about 20-30 minutes (or until hot)
Melt cheese on top

Serve over black beans and rice or with Spanish rice

This is one of my hubby's favorite dinners and he's omni!!
#17 Old 12-29-2010, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator

I added Quorn to my veggie soup last night I do love it, it's so easy to use.
#18 Old 12-29-2010, 12:06 PM
Veggie Regular

I want Quorn!
#19 Old 12-29-2010, 12:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

Don't all their products (in the US) contain eggs or milk ingredients?

im fairly sure that egg is essential to the way its made, so yeah.
#20 Old 12-29-2010, 12:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Ferret View Post

im fairly sure that egg is essential to the way its made, so yeah.

Thanks! Hopefully eventually they'll be able to make them without the eggs.
#21 Old 12-29-2010, 12:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Interesting that I DIDN'T have an allergy to it... as supposedly those highly allergic to penicillin are equally as allergic to mold (translated to BAD). Least that's what the doctor told me

http://haylieskitchen.blogspot.com/ (married to an omni so cooking from both spectrums)
#22 Old 12-29-2010, 01:08 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mufflon View Post

I want Quorn!

Come over, I'll share
#23 Old 12-29-2010, 01:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Only is you got some without the eggs.
#24 Old 12-29-2010, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry, can't help you there
#25 Old 12-29-2010, 07:46 PM
Banned

deleted

#26 Old 12-29-2010, 08:19 PM
Veggie Regular

My roommate is ovo-lacto-veggie and she lives on Quorn. Sometimes its all she eats. I don't get it.

I view it like french fries. Really convenient, tasty, and not so good for you.

~Ok, she's deranged. But so, so playful.~
#27 Old 12-30-2010, 02:05 AM
Super Moderator

Convenient and tasty, my 2 favorite things

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page