Short Article: "Vegan Diet Reverses Diabetes" - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-28-2006, 05:01 PM
Beginner

Here's an article about a new study showing that vegan diets work better than the standard American Diabetes Association diet: http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060727/...NlYwN5bmNhdA--

I delivered meals to a lot of diabetics that were prepared by a hospital. It always made me kind of sad to see some of the foods that they were served (meat based, lots of processed foods like canned sugary fruits, bread that didnt look like whole wheat, ect). Hopefully studies like this will cause changes for better meals for hospital patients and those receiving meals on wheels type services.

Maybe articles like this can help us explain why we choose to eat the way we do and convince others to do the same. I know that's most likely not going to help those matters much but a girl can hope!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-28-2006, 05:30 PM
Veggie Regular

http://www.rawfor30days.com/

Raw for 30-Days will document the journey of five Americans suffering from Adult Onset Type II Diabetes, who undergo a radical 30-day diet and lifestyle change in the hope of reversing or reducing their insulin dependence. The film will show the eating habits that led to the development of this disease and will posit an alternative approach to living and eating, one in which foods can heal and hold the potential to reverse Diabetes. We will recruit subjects who have been subsisting on a standard American junk food diet and who are now insulin dependent and Diabetic. Those selected will journey to the Tree of Life Rejuvenation Center in Arizona to undergo a 30-day health regimen consisting of 100% raw organic living foods that are purported to heal Diabetes. We will select a diverse group of subjects, representative of the different segments of the population most affected by this epidemic. Examples include a Native American from a Reservation, an African American from an urban Northeast city, a Mexican American living in the western US and a Caucasian person from the mid-west or a Southern city such as Chattanooga, TN.
#3 Old 07-28-2006, 05:37 PM
Veggie Regular

type II and type I are very different types of diabetes.

type II diabetes can go away with weight loss--which a vegan or raw foods diet can do for a person.

many people with type I diabetes do well on vegetarian diets, but not well on vegan or raw food diets.

it is important to recognize that these two types of diabetes are very different.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-28-2006, 05:43 PM
Veggie Regular

BEYOND McFOOD: HOSPITALS MOVE TOWARD NATURAL & ORGANIC

Two thousand hospitals across the U.S. are finally slamming the door on junk foods and low-grade institutional grub. Hospital cafeteria and room meals across the U.S. are notoriously tasteless and nutritionally deficient. After hearing from their doctor or nurse that it's best to stay away from trans-fats, excessive salt, and high sugar foods, a patient can then typically visit the hospital's own cafeteria and chow down on a meal of french fries, chicken nuggets, soda pop, jello and cheese pizza. But this longstanding tradition may gradually be changing. Last week, MedAssets, a leading group purchasing organization for the health care industry, struck a deal with United Natural Foods Incorporated (UNFI), the largest wholesale distributor of natural and organic foods in the country. The deal will bring natural and organic foods into more than 2,000 hospitals in the U.S.

Learn more: http://www.organicconsumers.org/2006/article_1182.cfm
#5 Old 07-29-2006, 01:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Good article supporting a vegan diet! Yeah, it's just a synopsis, not indepth, and as veg*ns, WE know it's true, but I have so many friends with diabetes, I wish they'd take stuff like this seriously!

Anyway, just stumbled across it and thought it was cool.

Quote:
"National headlines reported on Friday, July 28, 2006 that a vegan diet provides breakthrough improvements for people with type-2 diabetes..."

http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2006other/news.htm
#6 Old 07-29-2006, 01:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Mr. Tess mentioned to me that it was on CNN.com's "front page," and I was floored that this type of vital health information is finally getting a small fraction of the media attention it deserves!
#7 Old 07-29-2006, 01:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Heh, my ex sent me a link to that article with the comment "I guess you were right." He's got some health issues and I keep telling him a vegan diet is the way to go. Of course, even though I'm right, he won't do it.
#8 Old 07-29-2006, 01:46 PM
Veggie Regular

That's encouraging. Diabetes runs on both sides of our family.

I think I saw a McDougall book at our Half Price Books.
#9 Old 07-29-2006, 02:10 PM
Veggie Regular

I can't imagine the sickly, sugar-shocked boat I'd be in if I wasn't vegan... Diabetes runs in my family and my mom and sister are both very near diabetic (in fact, my sister suffered with pretty severe gestational diabetes while pregnant with my nephew) but neither of them started to develop health problems with it until later on: my sis starting having trouble during pregnancy and since then, mom was OK until around menopause...

I, on the other hand, had been really sick for the past 2-3 years to the point where I accepted it as normal and "everyone probably feels like this everyday"... I put up with it up until a few months ago when I finally decided to see what the heck was wrong with me (constant headaches and vertigo every single day, I was gaining weight like crazy no matter what I did, and didn't have a period for 10 months). Results are still on the inconclusive side, but the general consensus between docs is that I have PCOS due to very high triglyceride levels (or vice versa, you never know with these things).

But the moral of the story is that I've been taking Metformin for a hair over a month now and I've already lost 9lbs, I have not been dizzy or sick before or after eating the whole time, and 4 days into treatment I got my first period in 10 months. Crazy. But yeah... makes me wonder if I'd even be here right now if I wasn't vegan....
#10 Old 07-29-2006, 06:25 PM
Veggie Regular

... still trying to figure out what PCOS is?
#11 Old 07-29-2006, 06:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Tess, PCOS is Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, I *think*.
#12 Old 07-29-2006, 07:19 PM
Veggie Regular

That's awesome. Now I have an excuse for eating Burger King's fries and a coke. I'm reversing my diabetes.
#13 Old 07-29-2006, 07:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for posting that TNS,

It's great news!

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#14 Old 07-29-2006, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

That's awesome. Now I have an excuse for eating Burger King's fries and a coke. I'm reversing my diabetes.

Fries aren't low in fat, are they?

Quote:
The study, headed by Dr. Neal Barnard, compared one group of people following a low-fat vegan diet

#15 Old 07-29-2006, 07:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Well the medium fries are definetely much lower in fat than the King Size fries.
#16 Old 07-29-2006, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

Well the medium fries are definetely much lower in fat than the King Size fries.

Indeed.
#17 Old 07-29-2006, 09:17 PM
Beginner

My mom, who still eats meat, printed this out and actually gave it to my dad who is diabetic. I doubt he will change his eating habits though.
#18 Old 07-30-2006, 07:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Let's hope for the change. As speaking for Germany it's because: there's no benefit for the hospital in not serving low-grade institutional grub. The food in our hospital is so bad that I didn't eat here for the past 14 years, surprisingly for me it must be better then in the hospitals around as the patients praise the food - different standards!

Type 1 diabetes also profits from veg*n foods but not as much as type 2 diabetes. In type 1 diabetes insulin production cannot be stimulated as the body has ceased to produce it. In type 2 diabetes mostly insulin resistance is the problem and with loosing weight and eating more complex carbohydrates this cound be reversed.

If I'm not answering quickly enough - leave a note on Twitter for @Rheumatologe
#19 Old 07-30-2006, 08:17 AM
Banned

It'll all blow over in a couple of months.

McDonalds will reign supreme

(here comes the diabetes burger with fries).

Pharmaceutical companies will have there way.

Anybody ever hear of the:

Oil Industry?

Milk Industry?

Cattle Industry?

Dial a Prayer?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page