Leather/faux leather sofas. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-20-2006, 06:51 AM

Hello! (and apologies if you fall asleep while reading this!)

I need to buy a new sofa. Ive been browsing on the web and I like the look of leather sofas and believe that they are very hardwearing and easy to clean but I really dont want to buy and sit on skin! Ive also seen faux leather sofas, which look good! Just wondering:

1.\tWhat do you think of leather furniture?

2.\tIf you have a faux leather sofa, what do you think of it?

Thanks for reading!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-20-2006, 07:09 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't think leather furniture is worth it - why would I need to kill an animal to have something to sit on when there are other alternatives that work just as well?

I DO occasionally buy leather shoes, but only because I wear a hard-to-fit size and it's sometimes not possible to find non-leather shoes in my size. But, I think that if you have other viable options, you should use those.

I haven't looked at faux leather recently to offer an opinion there. I would wonder, though, if you would you stick to it in hot weather, or what sort of longevity it would have.
#3 Old 07-20-2006, 10:38 AM
Veggie Regular

I have a microfibre sofa, and I really like it. Of course that's not quite the same as imitation leather.

I've done lots of interviews with furniture retailers for my job, and they say microfibre is just as durable as leather.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-20-2006, 10:48 AM
Veggie Regular

As a kid my family had a naugahide sleeper-sofa-- a 70's term for a type of vinyl. It was hard wearing, and lasted quite a while. Both leather and vinyl make you hot and sticky in the summer, and cold in the winter, so generally, if you want to lay on them, you should put a blanket between the upholstery and your skin. Another good choice is ultrasuede, which is actually cloth and can be washed.
#5 Old 07-20-2006, 12:02 PM

cftwo - my thoughts and wonders exactly!

meatless - microfibre seems like a good alternative, thank you!

Gita - I've been looking at faux suede sofas too - but they always look too erm...'fancy'! (and they remind me more of animal skins than leather look does for some reason!!!)

I think you have persuaded me against faux leather now - I'm not sure I want to spend all that money on a sofa and then hide it with a blanket!

Many thanks for taking the time to reply! (This was my first thread since joining - it was nice not to be ignored!!)
#6 Old 06-27-2008, 05:52 AM
Banned

I too feel that sitting on a Leathersofa makes me feel to sit on animals skin.We can find different types of artificial leathers in the market.I really appriciate your kindness on animals.

Duke Glasgow

white leather sofa
#7 Old 12-14-2008, 11:15 PM
Banned

Hi,

I agree with you all.

Why killing animals for their leather.

But, All people are not thinking like us.

So, we can't do anything about that.

Now leave these things, I want to share something with you.

I want to change my Sofas on this Christmas.

So, I was searching for Sofas on internet. while searching I found kmpfurniture.com. They have nice collection of different types of Sofas with different ranges and sizes also. If you are searching for Sofas I think it will be the nice place for you.
#8 Old 12-14-2008, 11:21 PM
Veggie Regular

I'll be getting a microfiber from mor

Great deal on a reclining sofa/love seat/chair set.

I hear it is the easiest to clean, most durable, and softest to the feel.

On a negative note:

I've read a couple reports of it in the desert climate (my climate) being very statically charged and in one case i read that it destroyed a receiver to a home theater system. Just a little food for thought.
#9 Old 12-14-2008, 11:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Ok, Question please :

My partner and I will hopefully be buying a house sometime in the middle to end of next year. We have almost no furniture, and in order to keep exoenses to a minimum, I am planning on scouring the quokka (a bargain newspaper) in order to buy some cheap household items.

Last time I looked I seen an ad for a plasma tv, a dining room suite, aquarium, a queen size bedroom suite with dressers, outdoor patio set, bar-b-que, washer/dryer, refridgerator, and leather lounge suite.. all for $3500 or near offer. For all of that it is very cheap, and the family was moving overseas so they wanted to sell as quick as possible, so one could probably even get that cheaper.

I thought about when I go to buy something, I doubt I could buy leather. I'd find it creepy sitting on it, and thinking of the animal... but is it wrong to buy something like that? Or is it however you feel, and your ethics? I dont think I could do it, I couldnt have the leather lounge suite, but what about some of you?
#10 Old 12-15-2008, 02:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Haha, there was actually a big conversation about leather furniture in one of my classes last week. My (omni) classmates were lamenting how awful it is, because in cold weather its freezing, and it warm weather it makes you all sweaty and sticky to sit on it, so it hurt when you pull yourself off.
#11 Old 12-15-2008, 10:28 PM
Veggie Regular

haha if veggies don't like it ethically and others don't like it because of the temperature issues, etc. etc., lets just get rid of leather furniture if no one likes it? sounds good to me. too bad leather furniture seems to be somewhat of a status symbol....
#12 Old 12-15-2008, 10:59 PM

I wouldnt ever buy or use leather anything so that leaves the couch out...I was at a meeting once where they only had leather furniture and stood for over two hours...people were trying to find me a chair but they didnt have one and I just couldnt sit down...a close friend of mine has leather furniture and when I am at her house I only sit on the floor.

as for faux leather sofas...I wouldnt want one of those either just dont think it would be comfy..

peace love and happiness

Jenn
#13 Old 12-15-2008, 11:21 PM
Veggie Regular

I have often found myself stuck in someone's "all leather interior" car. eww. I sit on it when I'm in a public place and that's all there is, but no, I could never buy it for my house. Dead animal skin is not attractive I have to say faux leather creeps me out a little too. You're going for the look of a dead animal. Microfiber is very nice. comfortable, durable, easy to keep clean.
#14 Old 12-16-2008, 01:06 PM

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bruce-...s_b_47414.html

The Green Issue of Vanity Fair, currently on shelves, correctly notes in discussing the impact of our purchasing decisions that "fur and leather...mean slaughtering animals," but in an issue packed with otherwise thoughtful analysis, they missed the fact that in addition to the sad fact that wearing fur or leather means, literally, wearing a part of an animal's corpse (or many of them, if you're wearing a full length fur), both products have adverse environmental impacts that far outpace their faux fur and pleather (i.e., faux leather) counterparts.

It's an odd irony, isn't it? You think of leather or fur and you think "natural product." You think of faux fur or faux leather and you think "unnatural," or even "petrochemical." But once you investigate what goes into creating this "natural" (dead) product, whether you're talking about fur or leather, you're talking environmental nightmare that far outpaces the synthetic alternatives......

If the issue of the abuse that the poor cattle of China and India suffer in order to meet the demand for leather , isn't enough, consider the effect of leather production on the environment.

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2008...ly_leather.php

In all, around 250 chemicals are used in tanning, with chromium sulfate being the most dangerous. Other chemicals include alcohol, coal tar, degreasing agents, dyes, emulsifiers, formaldehyde, formic acid, lead, lime, resin blenders, sodium chloride, sodium sulfate, sulfuric acid, waxes, and zinc. Skins are transferred from vat to vat, soaked and treated and dyed.
#15 Old 12-16-2008, 01:09 PM
Ankle Biter

I just bought a new sofa for the family room this fall. It's microfiber, made to look like distressed leather. It's gorgeous! And it's not as cold as leather...brrr!

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#16 Old 12-16-2008, 01:12 PM

Seems to me that being willing to buy used leather products is not much different than buying new leather products.
#17 Old 12-16-2008, 01:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lirpa1 View Post

Ok, Question please :

My partner and I will hopefully be buying a house sometime in the middle to end of next year. We have almost no furniture, and in order to keep exoenses to a minimum, I am planning on scouring the quokka (a bargain newspaper) in order to buy some cheap household items.

Last time I looked I seen an ad for a plasma tv, a dining room suite, aquarium, a queen size bedroom suite with dressers, outdoor patio set, bar-b-que, washer/dryer, refridgerator, and leather lounge suite.. all for $3500 or near offer. For all of that it is very cheap, and the family was moving overseas so they wanted to sell as quick as possible, so one could probably even get that cheaper.

I thought about when I go to buy something, I doubt I could buy leather. I'd find it creepy sitting on it, and thinking of the animal... but is it wrong to buy something like that? Or is it however you feel, and your ethics? I dont think I could do it, I couldnt have the leather lounge suite, but what about some of you?

Sounds like a really good deal - except for the leather lounge suite. I think what I personally would do would be buy everything, except the leather lounge suite. It should be pretty easy to find another lounge suite for a bargain that is not leather and that way you don't have to worry about the guilt feelings etc of having leather.

Alternatively if the people don't want to sell the package without the lounge suite, you could always sell the leather couch to someone else. Although I would feel like I was benefitting from the death of animals and I'm not sure I could do that. Could always give it to a friend or a good will shelter/charity, I don't think it would be hard to find someone that would really appreciate it.
#18 Old 12-16-2008, 01:38 PM
Veggie Regular

I bought a fake leather sofa about a year ago.

It took a long time to buy one that I liked,but I found a pretty nice one.
#19 Old 03-28-2009, 08:18 AM

Before I became vegetarian, I had leather furniture. When it was time to buy a new sofa, I bought a microfiber one because so many people recommended it. And now I really HATE it. It is very difficult to keep clean. I don't know what I will buy next time but something not leather and not microfiber.
#20 Old 03-28-2009, 09:07 AM
Ankle Biter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post

Before I became vegetarian, I had leather furniture. When it was time to buy a new sofa, I bought a microfiber one because so many people recommended it. And now I really HATE it. It is very difficult to keep clean. I don't know what I will buy next time but something not leather and not microfiber.

Is it a light color? What are you using to clean?

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#21 Old 03-28-2009, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post

Is it a light color? What are you using to clean?

The sofa is beige. I've used water to clean it and I've tried hand sanitizer because I read online that the sanitizer would help to remove stains. The hand sanitizer did work, but it created water stains that are difficult to remove without a lot of extra work. It is such a pain to keep the microfiber clean, we've put throw blankets over the cushions, and it looks terrible. As soon as I figure out an alternative and save up some money, this furniture is out the door.
#22 Old 03-28-2009, 11:41 AM
Veggie Regular

1. I never felt comfortable with leather furniture. Just the thought of how much dead animal skin I'd be sitting on weirded me out. Plus I don't like the feel of it sticking to my skin or the sound it makes when you move (that creaking noise leather makes).

2. We have a microfiber couch and armchair that look (and feel) like very soft suede. It's called "elephant skin" microfiber or something weird like that (I don't understand it since it looks nothing at all like elephant skin). We've had them for about a year, I think and so far, I love them, but since it's a light beige color it gets dirty easily and it's a bit hard to get the stains out. It's washable with a gentle detergent, but the stains seem to get gripped by the fibers somewhat.

★ Vegetarian: 7/4/07 ☆ Near-Vegan: 11/08 ☆ FINALLY VEGAN! 4/4/09 ★

♥ 4 years down and a lifetime to go! ♥
#23 Old 07-21-2010, 06:11 AM

If you are planning to remodel your living room decoration, then replacing the old sofas with faux leather sofas can be an ultimate option, especially in case you have small kids in the house. It is comparatively cheaper and easier to maintain than real leather.faux leather sofa looks very similar to pure leather types. It also lasts for many years, though the exact lifespan may be lesser than pure leather sofas..Finally it' good..

Thanks for sharing..

Sofasinstock.co.uk - We have a huge selection of luxurious sofas, leather sofa to choose from in a selection of gorgeous, on-trend colours.
#24 Old 06-27-2015, 06:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Bought a rexin (faux) leather LaZboy rocker recliner couple of months back.. easy enough to clean, very comfortable and about 1/3rd the price of the genuine leather piece. Win-win.

The earth has enough resources for everyones need but not their greed.

#25 Old 06-28-2015, 01:26 PM
adapt. evolve. become

I prefer cotton, but my dad has faux leather couches and they are adorable

All we are is dust in the wind

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page