i feel sick - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-13-2006, 08:36 PM

hey all

ive been vegetarian for 2 years but...

right now im in japan for a month visiting my sister who lives here and we went to this chinese restaurant. we were very careful to ensure that my meal was vegetarian and our waiter was very good with it.

however we decided to get dessert and we had a different waiter. i ordered what we thought was cashew pie (my sister read the japanese menu for me).

when it arrived it looked ok little pastries with stuff inside i had some couldnt recognise the flavour so tried it again. started to get suspicious so my sister tried it. thats when we realised that it was like sweet and sour pork/processed spam kinda stuff.

we left really soon after that both feeling sick and i went to the nearest toilet to throw up. just wanted it out of me!

i dont know, nothing i can really do just feel stupid but who expects actual meat in a freakin dessert! god so pissed off! sorry so long, just needed thoughts...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-13-2006, 08:42 PM
Baby Love

Ugh. Well, I hope you're feeling better.

When I was in China, we were frequently served steamed buns. The fillling would be a mystery until you bit into it. I loved the sweet bean paste ... but they alternated it with bbq type pork and sausage. My boyfriend at the time was my taste tester.

PS - This thread also talks about accidental meat ingestion incidents : https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ad.php?t=56489
#3 Old 07-13-2006, 08:42 PM
Banned

What? You don't like pigsicles for dessert? Weirdo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-13-2006, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raw jess View Post

What? You don't like pigsicles for dessert? Weirdo.

lol

i am sorry though .. i am sure that wasn't pleasant .. i have never heard of such a thing either so i would have been caught off gaurd as well
#5 Old 07-14-2006, 05:25 AM

There are different threads on here by veggies/vegans who wonder if relationships with meateaters work. Reading Jinga's comment about her former boyfriend being her taste-tester made me realise that I'm secretly glad that my partner does eat meat (although he doesn't very often at home - thankfully!). I don't know how I would have survived on holiday without him disecting and tasting everything for me!

Sorry to hear about your meaty dessert - yuck! Although, over here (UK) it's not uncommon to to find 'meaty stuff' in mousse/triffle type products! How anyone (meat-eaters included) would even consider buying a sweet product which actually has the word 'beef' of 'pork' on the list of ingredients is beyond me!
#6 Old 07-14-2006, 08:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinga View Post

Ugh. Well, I hope you're feeling better.

When I was in China, we were frequently served steamed buns. The fillling would be a mystery until you bit into it. I loved the sweet bean paste ... but they alternated it with bbq type pork and sausage. My boyfriend at the time was my taste tester.

PS - This thread also talks about accidental meat ingestion incidents : https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ad.php?t=56489

Buns are usually marked, so that you know which ones to take.

With ravioli style pasta (jiao-zi, guo-qie, wan-tan - actually Chinese and not Italian inventions) it's different, you better open them before biting into them. Sometimes Chinese friends make some with veg fillings for me, but still I have to look out not to spoil my meal with the meat filled ones.

If I'm not answering quickly enough - leave a note on Twitter for @Rheumatologe
#7 Old 07-14-2006, 11:51 AM
Baby Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothar M Kirsch View Post

Buns are usually marked, so that you know which ones to take.

Not these. It was a group situation at a school where they'd just cook what they wanted and have the plates on the table. They'd have one plate of buns at a meal, all the same, whether it be bean, pork, or whatever. No matter the filling, they were big ole white puffballs. It would probably be different if it was something where we were pointing and choosing ourselves.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page