Could Someone Explain This? (what is a flexitarian) - Page 3 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#61 Old 07-16-2006, 09:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Flexitarian Diet: The latest vegetarian diet to make its way on the eating scene is the flexitarian diet or a "part time" vegetarian diet. Flexitarians are vegetarians who sometimes eat meat, fish, and poultry. For the flexitarians at a barbecue, the sky is the limit as there wouldn't be any foods on the buffet table that they would need to avoid, especially if this happens to be their meat-eating night.

if they're not avoiding any foods at all, what are they? An omni. I have no clue how the label "flexitarian" serves someone who will eat anything that's available. It sounds like it's about a slight preference, sometimes. Everyone has preferences of one sort or another. Like, I don't like bananas. I probably don't need a special term for it though.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 Old 07-16-2006, 09:47 PM
Banned

Wikipedia

Flexitarianism is the practice of being "flexible" about the degree to which one is actually a vegetarian. A "flexitarian" might make only vegetarian dishes at home, but eat dishes including meat at the home of family or friends. In 2003, the American Dialect Society voted flexitarian as the year's most useful word, and defined it as "a vegetarian who occasionally eats meat."

None of the vegetarian organizations recognize this as a category of vegetarian, and it is generally viewed as being as paradoxical as the word "pescetarian".
#63 Old 07-17-2006, 07:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonAmy View Post

It already did.

*waits for your response to Tame's question*

Ah crap, I've already seen it.

Mary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#64 Old 07-17-2006, 07:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

if they're not avoiding any foods at all, what are they? An omni. I have no clue how the label "flexitarian" serves someone who will eat anything that's available. It sounds like it's about a slight preference, sometimes. Everyone has preferences of one sort or another. Like, I don't like bananas. I probably don't need a special term for it though.

I don't like banana's either. Maybe we can be "nonbananatarians".

I agree. Whether or not people fit in the catagory, it's a useless term.

Mary
#65 Old 07-18-2006, 07:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryC1999 View Post

Ah crap, I've already seen it.

Mary

#66 Old 07-18-2006, 08:34 PM

personally, i get tired of this sudden rash of labels... to me it seems like they are mostly there so people can judge others as either better or worse than they are (example: a vegan must be better than a lacto-ovo-la-di-da-itarian because they've made more of a commitment; or a lacto-ovo-vegitarian is better than an omni for the same reason). i understand the need for some labels because it makes getting to know a person easier and human minds are constantly trying to organize things but i think today's world over uses them. sorry if i offend anyone, not my intention, and believe me, if anyone has problems with a tendency to be unintentionally hypocritical it is I.
#67 Old 07-18-2006, 09:46 PM

Which question am I supposed to answer again?
#68 Old 07-18-2006, 09:48 PM

I only saw one question from Tame directed towards me, and it was:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tame View Post

I know it doesn't say dick about a making a commitment.

Let's say someone is veg for a year. They eat a piece of shrimp. How long does it take to become veg again? I mean, you guys claim to know these rules, it would certainly help if the rest of us could see them sometime.

Oh, and if that's not it, and you're going to find the question, then quote it. I don't like the guessing game crap.
#69 Old 07-18-2006, 11:03 PM
Veggie Regular

That's the question. So answer it.
#70 Old 07-18-2006, 11:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by brassrocker View Post

(example: a vegan must be better than a lacto-ovo-la-di-da-itarian because they've made more of a commitment; or a lacto-ovo-vegitarian is better than an omni for the same reason).

If one is going to call a vegan "better than" a vegetarian re. food choices, or a vegetarian better than an omni, it wouldn't be due to "commitment" it would be due to something like "decreased animal suffering in food choices" (but I think that also depends on the type and quantity of food that the vegetarian is eating compared to the omni).

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#71 Old 07-19-2006, 12:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Ooohh... another label fight

Let's try to keep it clean, and no biting, we are veg*n afterall

Are there any twizzlers left?
#72 Old 07-19-2006, 12:30 AM
Veggie Regular

flexitarian = someone who can't commit to a diet they think is right.

flexitarian also = another reason people are so confused about what vegetarians eat, and think that all vegetarians eat steak in their closets when everyone's gone to bed.
#73 Old 07-19-2006, 12:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moechalatte View Post

flexitarian also = another reason people are so confused about what vegetarians eat, and think that all vegetarians eat steak in their closets when everyone's gone to bed.

Umm, no.
#74 Old 07-19-2006, 01:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

QFT
#75 Old 07-19-2006, 02:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Yep, this sounds about right. Although, not everyone is "flexitarian" for any kind of ethical reasons, of course.

In the same way that veg*nism has some overlap with straight-edge, many flexitarians are also a-pack-of-cigarettes-non-smokers and occasionally-drunk-non-drinkers.

Plexitarian food.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#76 Old 07-19-2006, 02:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Except that it's not true. Flexitarians usually recognize that a completely vegetarian diet is not the healthiest, so often they purposefully choose to include some meat or fish in their diet to get the vitamins and so forth that a natural vegetarian diet does not include.
#77 Old 07-19-2006, 02:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

Flexitarians usually recognize that a completely vegetarian diet is not the healthiest, so often they purposefully choose to include some meat or fish in their diet to get the vitamins and so forth that a natural vegetarian diet does not include.

The authors of The China Study would not agree with this, nor would a number of other researchers.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#78 Old 07-19-2006, 03:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Ha! The author of the book The China Study wouldn't agree with it because of his preexisting biases. But the other people that actually ran the study would. The study didn't conclude that veganism was the healthiest diet, that was a conclusion that the author of the book made on his own.
#79 Old 07-19-2006, 03:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Except that it's not true. Flexitarians usually recognize that a completely vegetarian diet is not the healthiest, so often they purposefully choose to include some meat or fish in their diet to get the vitamins and so forth that a natural vegetarian diet does not include.

What vitamins doesn't a lacto-ovo diet include?

"and I stand

upon a mountain

#80 Old 07-19-2006, 03:05 AM
Veggie Regular

We weren't even talking about veganism. You were talking about including meat, which isn't even vegetarian.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#81 Old 07-19-2006, 03:39 AM
Veggie Regular

I want to know if these meat vitamins come in supplement form

"and I stand

upon a mountain

#82 Old 07-19-2006, 04:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

So they are ignorant health conscience omnivores?

why call yourself a flexitarian? to sound cool?
#83 Old 07-19-2006, 05:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

That's a health minded omnivore isn't it?

Why not?

Mary
#84 Old 07-19-2006, 05:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryC1999 View Post

Quote:

That's a health minded omnivore isn't it?

Yep. Although in real life people don't use the term "omnivore" to describe their diet, so flexitarian is used because it distinguishes them from someone who is not indescriminate in the types or amounts of meat they eat. I think Tom described it pretty well:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesomon View Post

The term fits my own diet, although I prefer "near-vegetarian". It's not necessarily for people who are "lazy" or "trying to become vegetarian". Many, many people who are not into the absolutism of the AR world still believe that reducing meat consumption is more humane, better for the planet, better for the global economy, and better for our bodies.

For me, the gap between someone who eats meat three times a day and someone who eats meat three times a year is huge, whereas the gap between someone who eats meat three times a year and someone who eats no meat is almost trivial. I know others (particularly on this board) don't see it that way.

#85 Old 07-19-2006, 05:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Yep. Although in real life people don't use the term "omnivore" to describe their diet, so flexitarian is used because it distinguishes them from someone who is not indescriminate in the types or amounts of meat they eat. I think Tom described it pretty well:

But then why cushion it with vegetarian? Like "part time vegetarian" or "semi vegetarian"? You're not a vegetarian, that's like being semi pregnant. You either are or you're not.

Also they're merely cutting back on the amount of meat they eat but it seems they'll eat whatever meat is available depending on the choices. How is that not just "normal" or the typical diet? Why do you NEED a term?

Mary
#86 Old 07-19-2006, 06:16 AM
Veggie Regular

They don't cushion it with vegetarian, that was just the writer of this article trying to find a way to describe the diet. Although flexitarian might say they are a "near vegetarian" in the same way a strict vegetarian might say they are "nearly vegan".

Anyways, I'm done trying to explain it. If you don't understand it by this point, you probably never will. Accept it and move on.
#87 Old 07-19-2006, 07:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Ha! The author of the book The China Study wouldn't agree with it because of his preexisting biases.

Which bias would that be? The bias that came from growing up around animal agriculture, as an omnivore? The bias that came from seeing the results of the evidence and his subsequent decision to adopt a vegan diet?
#88 Old 07-19-2006, 08:12 AM
Veggie Regular

Nope. It's all been discussed in the various China Study threads, I'm not derailing this topic to go over it all again, you can look it up. - - -
#89 Old 07-19-2006, 08:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

They don't cushion it with vegetarian, that was just the writer of this article trying to find a way to describe the diet. Although flexitarian might say they are a "near vegetarian" in the same way a strict vegetarian might say they are "nearly vegan".

Anyways, I'm done trying to explain it. If you don't understand it by this point, you probably never will. Accept it and move on.

Whoa, chill on the hostility ok?

FTR, I understand it just fine. It seems immature, a little like trying to fit into some clique in high school that you don't have much in common with, but I understand it. I just don't understand the need for it.

Trust me, I'm smart enough to get what you were saying.

Mary
#90 Old 07-19-2006, 08:30 AM
Veggie Regular

You apparently don't understand it if the analogy you use is "some clique that you don't have much in common with." It'd be more like "some clique that you have only 99% commonality with."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page