They can't seriously expect us to swallow that tripe! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-12-2006, 06:47 AM
Veggie Regular

So I'm going to a restaurant called Szalas on Saturday for my Grandfather's birthday. I think he's turning 80 again. It's a hardcore traditional Polish restaurant. And since I've never been to a Polish restaurant where the waitresses actually spoke English, and I've been to a lot, I assume this place would be the same. Anyways, here's the menu:

http://www.szalasrestaurant.com/english/menuengl.html

I'm getting nauseous just reading it. I've never heard of a place serving tripe soup. I think I might just eat before I go. :shudders:

Do they make Luna bars for men?

~Wonder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-12-2006, 06:57 AM
Banned

Tripe soup is common in many cultures. On of south america's favourite dishes is Menudo, which is a type of tripe soup.

From that menu, I'd order a baked potato (plain), a side order of warm saurkraut (ask if there's bacon in it, first), and the steamed vegetables (no butter). I'd cut open the baked potato and pile the kraut and veggies on top and enjoy.

Or, better yet, call the restaurant, tell them your reservation name and date and then ask about pure vegetarian options in detail.
#3 Old 07-12-2006, 07:05 AM
Beginner

First of all.. ewww tripe Secondly, I broused their menu - what about ordering their Sweet Roma Salad but with a different salad dressing? And I agree with MrFalafel too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-12-2006, 07:09 AM
Veggie Regular

Yes, Menudo certainly was tripe.

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#5 Old 07-12-2006, 07:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Don't go, bring your own food, or eat beforehand and just drink thick vegan beer.
#6 Old 07-12-2006, 07:25 AM
Veggie Regular

What about the pierogies with sauerkraut and mushrooms (no butter on them)? I think the pierogie dough is usually vegan. (I like plain potato pierogies, but they aren't on the menu - maybe if you call ahead they can make some plain potato ones for you. I'm having a hard time imagining what pierogies with sauerkraut and mushrooms would taste like, though.)

The potato pancakes on the appetizer section look good, too, if you're a vegetarian and not vegan.
#7 Old 07-12-2006, 07:28 AM

In a situation like that I will often take a protien bar and eat it on the way so I can be full after a simple salad or as mentioned by someone else a baked potato or steamed veggies

Have fun!
#8 Old 07-12-2006, 08:06 AM
Veggie Regular

I would call or email and explain your situation and see what sort of accomodations they can make for you. Or eat before you go.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#9 Old 07-12-2006, 08:53 AM
Veggie Regular

why cant your family go to a place that has optoins for everyone in the fam?
#10 Old 07-12-2006, 09:43 AM
Banned

its can be difficult when you're going to someone elses event or party, and it sucks to not have as much choice as everyone else, but i think there are a few things you can order that seem ok- more than i can find for myself when i end up at swiss chalet or other chain restaurants here (i'm vegan and i can't eat wheat and some other stuff as well).

on the menu, the salads look nice, and can be easily veganised, (just get no meat, no honey dressing, and no cheese, and you can choose from either of them!), things like the burrito and bread pizza can be made without the meat and dairy too, and there is nothing wrong with eating a baked potato and veggies. while it probably won't be the most amazing culinary delight you've ever tasted- its just for one night, and the food comes second to spending time with a family member on their birthday, right? its understandable that your grandfather chose to eat somewhere that he enjoys.

but yep.. tripe soups sounds bleurgh! it would be a good idea to call in advance and try to speak to someone who speaks english, or even get a relative who speaks polish to translate for you.

this webpage has a handy combo of normally written and phonetically written sentances, that'll help whoever does the explaining for you, to do it in polish, and offers tips on the best ways of being understood:

http://www.ivu.org/congress/2008/languages.html

hope it helps!
#11 Old 07-12-2006, 09:49 AM
Veggie Regular

I've recently learned it's much much easier to ask for vegetarian options at a restaurant than I expected it to be, and if it's a good restaurant (fancy) they will enjoy preparing a veggie plate and it might even be extra special.

But the language gap might cause a problem....
#12 Old 07-12-2006, 09:52 AM
Veggie Regular

I've eaten tripe, cartilidge, softened bones, etc. A lot of cultures eat animal parts that American omnivores would consider gross. The "grossness" is cultural. I've personally thought that the idea of giblet gravy (Thanksgiving) was really gross, yet people eat it and like it. I saw a vegetarian version of giblet gravy in the store the other day by Tofurkey and gacked!
#13 Old 07-12-2006, 10:39 PM
Banned

The funny thing is that when I was last in Poland, I was amazed at the vegetarian options in so many restaurants there. There's even a small chain of vegetarian restaurants in Gdansk that sells vegan/veggie versions of traditional Polish food. Its only Polish restaurants in the US/West where they are so meat-centric. In Poland, vegetarian food is very common.
#14 Old 07-12-2006, 11:03 PM
Veggie Regular

I agree with the frog. Just hope you keep in mind that the majority of people inhabiting this earth, now and in the past are dirt poor and eeking out protein from wherever they can get it. We can choose because they can't. People get food anywhere possible, plant and animal, when the alternative is starvation. To throw away any part of the animal they killed for food is to disrespect the animal that gave its life for them. These "gross" foods are usually traditional foods from people who had respect for the source of their meat. They ate their tripe and sheeps stomachs proudly and defiantly. They are certainly not evil, and anyone who laughs at them is laughing at themselves. It is great to critisize, but you also have to keep honest. Without them, you wouldn't be here-- and frankly it is by a miricle of chance that anyone is here today.
#15 Old 07-13-2006, 12:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Um, I actually wasn't really criticizing or upset. The title was actually a Simpson's quote (Episode [3F03] Lisa the Vegetarian). I hope I didn't offend. I've been to many Polish restaurants, although none since going veg*n, and have a decent understanding of what's available to eat and what not to touch with a 10 foot pole. Although this will be my first time at a non-buffet style Polish restaurant. But I mainly posted because of the tripe soup, I mean, come on, tripe soup. I've never even heard of it before, let alone had the option to order it (not that I will). If I don't get the salad or some other veg*nized dish, then I'll just get snockered off some pivo. I am Polish afterall (if only I spoke it).

MrFalafel, I'm surprised to read you type that. My step grandma is from Zakopane (she's mountain folk) and is literally a meatoholic (she just can't live without meatohol). For the day before Easter brunch she served 3 meat dishes and a side of boiled potatoes soaking in butter. She seemed confused when I brought a veggie platter. She's still a great lady. The only English she knows at mealtime is "Eat eat, more more". She makes great omni food.

Oh, and pierogie dough is traditionally made with eggs and lots of butter, well that's how I was brought up to make them. But I'm minimally LO and won't protest too much at restaurants.

hehe, tripe....

~Wonder

ETA: HCJ, that's an awesome page. I just bookmarked it. I'll through my grandparents for a loop.
#16 Old 07-13-2006, 12:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Wonder View Post

MrFalafel, I'm surprised to read you type that. My step grandma is from Zakopane (she's mountain folk) and is literally a meatoholic (she just can't live without meatohol). For the day before Easter brunch she served 3 meat dishes and a side of boiled potatoes soaking in butter. She seemed confused when I brought a veggie platter. She's still a great lady. The only English she knows at mealtime is "Eat eat, more more". She makes great omni food.

I've been all over Poland and every decent sized town has a healthfood shop selling lot of meat subsitutes, especially TVP. I don't know if its used as a replacement for meat or as a way to stretch food budgets but it certainly is all over the place. And vegetarian buffets and lunch places are all over the place: Krakow, Poznan, Warsaw, and more.

Perhaps your step grandma was from a deprived family who lived on mostly vegetables and meat was an expensive rarity and that now its cheap and easy to get for her, she relishes it? You should see the produce sections in Polish markets and the kitchen gardens everybody seems to have. Mountains of lovely fresh vegetables everywhere. I'd love to get a holiday home there as the veggie eating would fantastic.
#17 Old 07-13-2006, 04:25 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm afraid I have to take back what I just posted about it not being hard to get good veg options at restaurants. Yesterday I went to a new Thai restaurant in town, that is trying to be "upscale," and ordered the stir-fry veggies, saying "without meat." The waiter then asked "Chicken, beef, or shrimp?" and I said "no meat, just the vegetables" - and when my food came, there were huge chunks of fried tofu in there! Blech, I really hate fried tofu! I just wanted vegetables, like I said "just vegetables." Oh well, I guess they were trying.....
#18 Old 07-13-2006, 04:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludi View Post

I'm afraid I have to take back what I just posted about it not being hard to get good veg options at restaurants. Yesterday I went to a new Thai restaurant in town, that is trying to be "upscale," and ordered the stir-fry veggies, saying "without meat." The waiter then asked "Chicken, beef, or shrimp?" and I said "no meat, just the vegetables" - and when my food came, there were huge chunks of fried tofu in there! Blech, I really hate fried tofu! I just wanted vegetables, like I said "just vegetables." Oh well, I guess they were trying.....

Tofu is made from beans, which can be considered a type of vegetable. They thought they were being nice to you by jazzing up your meal with it.

Thai restaurants are one of the hardest to get proper vegetarian food in because they use Nam Pla (fish sauce) in everything.
#19 Old 07-13-2006, 04:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Yes, I'm sure they were just trying to make up for the missing meat. In any case, we've decided we're not happy with the quality of food there, and probably won't be going back. We gave them two tries, and both were disappointing (not tasty), so, they get stricken from the list.

Good to know about the fish sauce, it's probably like lard in Mexican food, it's just going to be in there most places, with no option to avoid it except not go there...
#20 Old 07-13-2006, 05:10 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalafel View Post

Thai restaurants are one of the hardest to get proper vegetarian food in because they use Nam Pla (fish sauce) in everything.

It isn't very hard to get good Thai food here. Most of the Thai restaurants where I live have a make your own section, and a good seletion of veggie options, without the fish sauce. When in doubt, order everything steamed, and with a side of peanut suace.

Though I am puzzled as to why they have a chicken dish in the veggie section of the menu.....

I go there at least once a week, and have been for the last 3 years. They know be by name, so they know not to put anything in my food.
#21 Old 07-13-2006, 05:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aotto08 View Post

It isn't very hard to get good Thai food here. Most of the Thai restaurants where I live have a make your own section, and a good seletion of veggie options, without the fish sauce. When in doubt, order everything steamed, and with a side of peanut suace.

Though I am puzzled as to why they have a chicken dish in the veggie section of the menu.....

I go there at least once a week, and have been for the last 3 years. They know be by name, so they know not to put anything in my food.

That's great! However, I'm convinced many vegetarians eat Thai food laden with Nam Pla everyday thinking its vegetarian. It's like asking Chinese chefs to not cook with soy sauce, it's such an integral part of Thai cooking. Having a good relationship with your restaurant is a great thing.
#22 Old 07-13-2006, 05:28 AM
Veggie Regular

I agree there are things you can eat. To me it seems about like going to a steakhouse with family members and trying to find something. But you do have some choices. Personally I love pierogies. Haven't had them in a while, but they are quite good....there's the salad....and I also love sour crout.

good luck. I guess is is difficult to get past the tripe.

B
#23 Old 07-13-2006, 05:52 AM
Veggie Regular

<------------ Just found out what 'tripe' is

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page