Pig fat in tooth paste???? - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

#31 Old 01-12-2014, 03:33 PM
Veggie Regular

I read something years ago that said that glycerin was a byproduct of making soap from animal fat and lye. Unfortunatly it was very long ago and I can't remember where that was. But, since then I have always avoided products that don't state clearly that the glycerin in them is from vegetable sources.

When I was a child my mom sometimes had us use a mixture of baking soda and salt when we were out of toothpaste and on a small budget. She often still uses it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 01-12-2014, 06:47 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cienerose View Post

I read something years ago that said that glycerin was a byproduct of making soap from animal fat and lye. Unfortunatly it was very long ago and I can't remember where that was. But, since then I have always avoided products that don't state clearly that the glycerin in them is from vegetable sources.

When I was a child my mom sometimes had us use a mixture of baking soda and salt when we were out of toothpaste and on a small budget. She often still uses it.
My grandfather used baking soda to brush his teeth his whole life. He had all 32 teeth at his death at 87, and only had one cavity ever.
#33 Old 01-12-2014, 07:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Peppermint oil and baking soda = fresh breath & white teeth grin.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 05-11-2017, 08:44 AM

AsSalamu a Leikum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh. To each and everyone. I admire your line of work. JazakAllah khairan (islamic gratitude as may Allah reward you since we can't enough) everyone for your beautifull helpfull posts. Ma Sha Allah. I have a question.

I am from Slovenija (between Italy Austria Croatia and Hungary)in the EU, i was wondering does anyone know the Himalaya toohpaste from India and it says in the ingridients glycerine and
on the front label 100% vegetarian.
Does this mean its not pig based?
Anyone knows in the EU any kosher or hallal stores with no pig products. Like normal chocholates candy etc.

JazakAllah khairan in advance

ASSalam A Leikum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh(as in goodbye)
#35 Old 05-11-2017, 08:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mihael Jozef Osterc View Post
AsSalamu a Leikum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh. To each and everyone. I admire your line of work. JazakAllah khairan (islamic gratitude as may Allah reward you since we can't enough) everyone for your beautifull helpfull posts. Ma Sha Allah. I have a question.

I am from Slovenija (between Italy Austria Croatia and Hungary)in the EU, i was wondering does anyone know the Himalaya toohpaste from India and it says in the ingridients glycerine and
on the front label 100% vegetarian.
Does this mean its not pig based?
Anyone knows in the EU any kosher or hallal stores with no pig products. Like normal chocholates candy etc.

JazakAllah khairan in advance

ASSalam A Leikum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh(as in goodbye)
I don't know the specific toothpaste you mention, but if it says it's 100% vegetarian, then it has no pig fat in it. No vegetarian products contain pig fat.
David3 likes this.
#36 Old 05-11-2017, 12:16 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by cienerose View Post
I read something years ago that said that glycerin was a byproduct of making soap from animal fat and lye. .

Rather than guess and spread misinformation, I really wish people would do some actual research, using reputable sources.

According to the Vegetarian Resource Group, glycerin (also known as glycerol) can be made from vegetable, animal, or synthetic sources. Industrially-produced glycerin is typically made from soybean oil, or propylene (a petrochemical) - both vegan.

http://www.vrg.org/ingredients/#glycerol

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
#37 Old 05-11-2017, 12:20 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by troub View Post
lard + lye = homeade soap!

Soap can also be made from vegetable oil + lye or from vegetable glycerin + lye (rather than from lard + lye). Vegan soaps are made this way

http://kissmyface.com/natural-body-p...-Aloe-Bar-Soap

Thalassa likes this.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
#38 Old 05-11-2017, 12:22 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauxfire View Post
pig fat is what makes it gummy...it's also in gum and oreos...just to name a few

Check your facts before posting.

Oreo cookies are kosher, which means that they don't have pig ingredients:
https://oukosher.org/publications/latest-oreo-cookies/

_________

Last edited by David3; 05-11-2017 at 12:25 PM.
#39 Old 05-12-2017, 04:02 PM
Bandit

I make my own toothpaste from unrefined coconut oil, baking soda, and peppermint flavoring.

Toms of Maine and Kiss My Face make vegan toothpastes though they may be a bit on the pricey side, which is why I often make my own (plus less packaging).

The awesome company Lush carries many vegan grooming products (a few contain honey) and they are 100% cruelty free. Their toothy tabs are dry toothpaste in different unique flavors, you pop one in your mouth and chew slightly without chewing too much, wet your toothbrush and brush. I'm fairly certain every flavor is vegan (who would put honey in dry toothpaste?) and those are perfect for camping or other forms of travel, as they come in a tiny cardboard box which is totally recyclable, btw, so also create less waste than classic pastes.
Spudulika likes this.

"Thinkers may prepare revolutions, but bandits must carry them out"~
Ingrid Newkirk
#40 Old 05-18-2017, 05:05 AM
person

Glycerin can be made from animal or vegetable fats. They were mostly animal now they are mostly vegetable including in chewing gum. Read the ingredients The source should be on there - at least in Aus were the item has to have the source of ingredients labeled if the could be ant doubt - vegetable or animal or non-animal (??)

If it isn't labeled you just have to check with the manufacturers.

More consumers if it is veg.

Glycerins are alcohol compounds found in all animal and vegetable fats.

"The time will come when men such as I will look upon the murder of animals as they now look upon the murder of men." - Leonardo Da Vinci, Italian Painter, Sculptor, Architect, Musician, Engineer, and Scientist

When it comes to having a central nervous system, and the ability to feel pain, hunger, and thirst, a rat is a pig is a dog is a boy. ~Ingrid Newkirk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page