Would You Go To A Restaurant That Serves Foie Gras... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-06-2006, 08:56 PM
Veggie Regular

...if they also served a spectacular vegetarian menu that could be veganized on request?

That's the question I'll be facing next week in Seattle. I kind of want to try Rover's, a very nice restaurant that serves an $80 vegetarian dinner, but the rest of their menu, including the dinner they would most likely be serving to Mr. Tess, is heavy on the foie gras. You cannot get anything remotely like their vegetarian dinner in Houston AFAIK, and I doubt you could get it anywhere in Texas, so this would be a one-time dining opportunity for me. Would you go, assuming the cost wasn't an issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-06-2006, 09:21 PM

That is a toughy, I'm from Ohio, so I know when you are a meat producing state how tough it can be. Me personally, I don't think I could. I despise the idea of Foie Gras. But as it is a one time thing, and you aren't eating the diseased liver, I say go for it, enjoy it, and take it for what it is, not what it isn't. Good luck on your decision.
#3 Old 07-06-2006, 09:23 PM

Yes, I do it all the time...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-06-2006, 09:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Well, considering I don't eat where animals are served as food, I certainly wouldn't eat at a place that specializes in serving parts of severely tortured creatures.

I say do what feels like the right choice in your heart.

Would you eat vegan if you went? I am curious as to what they would serve as alternative to the lacto-ovo options.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#5 Old 07-06-2006, 09:42 PM
Veggie Regular

If I didn't eat anywhere animal flesh is served, I would have a total of, I think, two restaurants in all of Houston. Both Chinese. There is a third that is almost entirely vegetarian and serves many vegan dishes, but they serve two fish dishes.

I've been debating whether I would ask them to veganize it or eat L/O. I just finished telling Mr. Tess it doesn't make any sense for me to say I want to be as vegan as I consider feasible, then go to a restaurant that makes a point of saying on their website that they will veganize on request, and not ask them to veganize. So I think if we do make reservations, I will ask them to veganize. I may ask them to omit any foie gras from Mr. Tess's dinner as well. I'm uncomfortable with someone sitting across the table from me eating it... and he's never had it before. What if he loves it and wants to have it again?? That would be the worst!

We also made reservations for the Spirit of Washington Dinner Train, and they have both a L/O entree and a vegan entree. You will be so proud of me, Ahimsa... I pre-ordered the vegan entree even though it's a grilled portobello mushroom, a food I haven't entirely learned to love yet! There seem to be many more opportunities to easily eat vegan in Seattle than in Houston. Like that's a big surprise to anyone.

PS: Oh, and their website is not specific as to how they will veganize. Their sample vegetarian menu doesn't seem to have much dairy in it or any eggs that I could identify, so it may be a matter of simply omitting a little cheese.
#6 Old 07-06-2006, 11:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesseract View Post

If I didn't eat anywhere animal flesh is served, I would have a total of, I think, two restaurants in all of Houston.

Well, we're in the same boat then because there are 2 places I will eat where I live as well I sure wish there were more options for veg*ns.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#7 Old 07-07-2006, 12:04 AM
Veggie Regular

I would personally go for it Tess, and I like the idea of both veganising your food and asking Mr. Tess to forgo the fois gras.

Personally, I don't mind eating in a restaurant that serves both meat and veggie options. I like to encourage them by ordering the veggie things. I think it shows them there is a demand for it. Also, it allows me to eat with people who would not really find anything they would like at a vegetarian restaurant (although if I have the choice, I pick the veggie places, or at the very least, ethnic places with a TON of vegan options- like a mediteranean place).

I also love going to a place with an omni, and while there food is just so so, my veggie choice is absolutly delicious. I think guilt free food tastes better!

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#8 Old 07-07-2006, 02:05 AM

I prefer to eat in veggie options, and I'd never eat at a place that serves foie gras - but I think I have more than 40 options in my city!! The freedom of choice makes things so easy. Does Mr Tess know about what goes on in the process of foie gras? I know a lot of meat-eaters who are opposed to it (but not opposed to a tortured broiler chick!)..
#9 Old 07-07-2006, 02:48 AM
Veggie Regular

I would go.
#10 Old 07-07-2006, 02:57 AM
Veggie Regular

You're going to Seattle - I think there are a fair number of options in that city. It's a bit of a red herring to talk about the few veg options in Texas, and how this is some kind of a once in a lifetime opportunity, because you'll be in Seattle where there are likely other great places to go. Why don't you pose the question to people from Washington where else you might go?

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#11 Old 07-07-2006, 03:03 AM
Veggie Regular

No, if I knew they were serving foie gras I wouldn't go. I also want to avoid stores that sell it. Yes, all selling of meat is bad but you have to start from something.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#12 Old 07-07-2006, 03:04 AM
Veggie Regular

It looks to be the kind of place I wouldn't want to dine at, but that's more the culture of the place than the food. In terms of food, it looks good.

The verdict: Loki says "Go there and enjoy your meal"
#13 Old 07-07-2006, 04:21 AM
Veggie Regular

If I never ate anywhere meat was served, I'd never leave home (and even then sometimes lol). There's no vegetarian restaurants around here. Even the ethnic ones sell meat as an option.

I say go. If I could find a restaurant that even HAD a vegetarian option I would go there in a second. Most places around me, vegetarian=salad. Enjoy.

Go, go, go and veganize, veganize, veganize.

If you have them omit the fois gras from Mr.Tess' dish, at least tell him though. lol

Mary
#14 Old 07-07-2006, 04:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Yes, I would probably eat in a restaurant that served foie gras, if the rest of my dinner party was going there. I wouldn't choose to go there on my own though. But there's also no way would I pay $80 for a meal, even if money wasn't an issue.
#15 Old 07-07-2006, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

No, if I knew they were serving foie gras I wouldn't go. I also want to avoid stores that sell it. Yes, all selling of meat is bad but you have to start from something.

I agree that you have to start somewhere.

I couldn't bring myself to go, but that's just me, Tess.
#16 Old 07-07-2006, 08:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

You're going to Seattle - I think there are a fair number of options in that city. It's a bit of a red herring to talk about the few veg options in Texas, and how this is some kind of a once in a lifetime opportunity, because you'll be in Seattle where there are likely other great places to go. Why don't you pose the question to people from Washington where else you might go?

Oh, I have. I've also consulted my trusty guidebook, which has a section on vegetarian dining. There are many great places to eat in Seattle, and I plan to hit as many of them as possible, but I don't think you can get a dinner like this anyplace else in Seattle, either. Rover's seems to be considered Seattle's ultimate dining experience.

Another fine dining alternative would be Cascadia. They serve veal, but their menu isn't covered with foie gras the way Rover's is, and they have a very nice vegetarian tasting menu. If I were determined to avoid restaurants that served veal, I would simply never to be able to attend a family dinner ever again, because every restaurant above the Chili's level around here serves veal. Texas hasn't gotten the message that it's politically incorrect, or is stoically ignoring it. I would also love to eat at the Herbfarm, but I don't think I can swing that! And they may well have the same issues.

I do plan to eat at Cafe Flora, which is all vegetarian. There's also Carmelita. Then there's Hillside Quickies, Bamboo Garden, Sunlight Cafe, and Silence-Heart-Nest. And I just have to hit Red Mill Burgers (not veggie) for what's reputedly the best veggie burger in town.

Come to think of it, maybe you're right, Irizary. Between all these other great places to eat, I don't need to eat at Rover's. (PS: Of course, it was never a question of need... )
#17 Old 07-07-2006, 08:50 AM
Beginner

I'd go for sure. The more that veg*ns go to restaurants and request specific things not normally on the menus, the more likely these restaurants will cater to us by putting veg*n dishes on the menu, and the more that Omnis will try veg*n meals and realize life without meat is no biggie (Let's face it - how many of our Omni friends will walk into a veg*n restaurant on their own?).

I think it's really cool that some of you have 2 restaurants in town to patronize that don't serve any flesh. I live in Portland, Maine, where there are tons of nice restaurants, and I can't think of one that doesn't! On the other hand, I can't think of many that don't have vegan options, either, except for the smaller pizza joints.
#18 Old 07-07-2006, 08:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Ther other issue is that Rover's is known for their willingness to veganize, and serve you a truly fabulous 5-course dinner that's totally vegan. How many places do that?? Even Cascadia doesn't come right out and say on their website that they're happy to veganize, and their vegetarian menu looks more dairy than Rover's.

PS: Gogoshire, I was thinking of people just like you as I wrote that post about "only" 2 vegetarian restaurants. It's nice that some people have the luxury of having vegetarian restaurants, but I imagine for the majority of vegetarians, that would mean literally never eating out again.
#19 Old 07-07-2006, 01:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

It's nice that some people have the luxury of having vegetarian restaurants, but I imagine for the majority of vegetarians, that would mean literally never eating out again.

Yup, exactly.

It's nice, sometimes, to go out someplace and not have to cook, clean up and wash the dishes, even if all I can get to eat is spaghetti. If I decided I would never step foot in anyplace that serves meat I wouldn't be able to even go to my family get togethers. I don't think I could or would spend the rest of my life never eating out, picking up a quick snack somewhere or going to a family get together. Maybe it's just me but doing that isn't going to change anything anyway.

Mary
#20 Old 07-07-2006, 02:14 PM
Banned

If I didn't go to or support any place they had meat, I'd be screwed! There's not a single vegetarian/vegan restaurant around here. I have no idea where I'd get groceries, as even the health food stores around here have organic meat.

I've got mixed feelings on this kind of thing. It's kind of the same with products that aren't tested on animals, but their parent companies have products that are. It's hard. Half of me says to buy the stuff that's not tested on animals, and to buy the vegetarian options from companies that have nonvegetarian things to show them that the demand is out there. The other half says not to give them any money. I don't really know where to draw the line. I mean, even my grocery store is profiting off of selling meat, and I'm giving them my money everytime I buy veggies and fruit.
#21 Old 07-07-2006, 03:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Tesseract - I live in the Seattle area. I've eaten at Cafe Flora once and enjoyed it. It's a bit pricy but they do make some yummy vegan desserts. Sunlight Cafe is all right but nothing special, IMHO.

One place you didn't mention that is FANTASTIC is The Teapot. It's 100% vegan and they have a wide array of Asian food, and they have a vegan mango cheesecake that is heaven. There's one on Capitol Hill and one in Redmond so take your pick:http://www.teapotvegetarianhouse.com/directions.htm My husband happens to work just blocks away from the Redmond one so it's a convenient stop for us! (ahhhh I'm so lucky to live in Seattle!)

I kind of agree that there's such a plethora of options around here that the foie gras restaurant can be avoided, however I don't think it would be wrong of you to go.
#22 Old 07-07-2006, 03:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh yeah, the Teapot was mentioned to me, but it didn't make onto my list. Glad you brought it up. There's apparently also a veggie Thai place and I think a veggie Ethiopian place that I heard about.
#23 Old 07-07-2006, 06:57 PM
Banned

If you want to really blow your wad on a fixed price vegetable tasting menu you should just go to The French Laundry and get it over with.

Canlis is another well thought of Seattle restaurant. It is a little more northwest and a little less french. I've never been to either but I would go to Canlis first, thats a personal thing though. Canlis also says they will do a vegan tasting menu on their website.

At either place you should make sure they are willing to serve you and Mr. Tess different tasting menus. The norm is the same one for the whole table.
#24 Old 07-07-2006, 08:05 PM
Veggie Regular

foie gras is such a hot issue now - it actually stands a fair chance of becoming illegal at some point in the not-far distant future in the US, because of all the educating that has been done about it. If there were more animal rights/welfare activists to spread around, it might be that that very restaurant would be getting protested...so, I'd say again, it would be great to not support it, especially since there are so many other good options - and drop them a note telling them exactly why!

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#25 Old 07-07-2006, 08:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

...and drop them a note telling them exactly why!

I was thinking of doing that very thing.
#26 Old 07-07-2006, 08:48 PM

I would go because I am in the same boat as the "there are no other restaurants I can have around here" people.

But all the other places sound just as good. I now have a craving for vegan cheesecake. Yum.
#27 Old 07-07-2006, 09:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Tess, I just read the menu at cafe flora and I literally drooled a little.

Wow. I think you should do a bruch, lunch and dinner there!!!!!

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#28 Old 07-07-2006, 10:27 PM
Veggie Regular

I went to a wedding where they were serving that stuff. They wouldn't shut up about how I should try it. Yeah like the vegetarian is going to eat the internal organ of a horribly abused animal 'just to see what it's like.' That's like offering shrunken heads for dinner. Gross.

And I don't know if I would go to the restaurant that you speak of. Guess it would depend on what my companion planned to eat. I don't think I could enjoy my food, sitting across from someone eating something so vile. But that's just me. The fact that they serve it there wouldn't bother me quite so much, just because well, some things just can't be helped. I can deal with people eating meat, but when it comes to duck liver or veal or some disgusting thing, I lose a bit of respect for the person eating it . . .

It's not in what you say, it's in what you do (Oasis)

Feeling bored? Why don't you wander over to my blog sometime. http://thebohemiankitchen.wordpress.com
#29 Old 07-10-2006, 05:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Would You Go To A Restaurant That Serves Foie Gras...

Would you go, assuming the cost wasn't an issue?

if you take veganism to an absolute extreme, you'd live in an abandoned cave, never getting out of bed in fear of stepping on some innocent invertebrate.

i'm a shades of grey person, but in this particular instance, my moral compass would point me towards another restaurant. too much negative responsibility, and a bad example for others. imho, ymmv.
#30 Old 07-11-2006, 07:00 AM
Joe
Veggie Regular

I tend to select restaurants based on whether they *do* have veg*n selections, and not exclude them on the basis of other offerings they serve. So, yes, I would dine there.

I don't have a S.O. who is non-veg*n, so what she might eat does not concern me.

Even if I did, I wouldn't try to control her decisions about what to eat. But that is just me.

As I recall, James Bond offers the nurse at the health clinic beluga caviar and foie gras in order to seduce her in "Never Say Never Again." Should I also boycott James Bond films?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page