Grocery Store Organization - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-22-2003, 02:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Sometimes it annoys me that my local grocery doesn't place all my veggie foods together -- that would be so convenient for me! (Yes, there is a health/organic section, but many other items are scattered throughout the store.)

But today I was thinking, maybe it's a good thing. The veggie dogs are next to the meat dogs, the frozen veggie entrees are next to the meat-based ones that resemble them most (e.g. burgers together, breakfast foods together, dinners together, etc.)

Yes, it's less convenient for me to have to wander up and down aisles ... but maybe it makes it more likely that omnis will decide to try some of the veggie items sitting next to their meaty counterparts.

Whaddya think? And how does your grocery do it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-22-2003, 02:44 PM
Veggie Regular

I think if it's dry shelf stuff, that yeah, they should put it all together. But as far as the Veggie dogs and frozen burgers go, maybe it's good they're in the regular meat sections, so maybe some curious meat eater would say "hey, wanna try this? I've heard it's good."
#3 Old 07-22-2003, 02:51 PM
Veggie Regular

The grocery store I shop at now has a health organic section and all the veggie items I shop for are located there. However, the where I shopped before moving here placed packaged "Health" "Organic" and "Vegetarian" next to it's conventional counter part. In the retail world they call this "positioning" it helps to give "average joe/josephina customer" an opportunity to explore other products and compare them. I remember reading a study in my retail managment class about this. It said that some people are intimidated by seeking out veggie (or "healthy") alternatives in a separate section in the store. Companies LOVE this type of placement because they sell more products.

Old school veg*ns like me find this annoying because I look for "my" (it's all about me!! ) section in the grocery store. Yeah, there's that little fear of "cross contamination". I don't want my Smart Dogs mating with Oscar Myer!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-22-2003, 03:25 PM
Banned

I'm with what monkeyandbunny said. I'm kind of disgusted by the thought of browsing through the meat section for my veggie dogs, but on the other hand, I'll bet a lot more people would try vegetarian stuff if it was sitting next to its meat counterpart. Maybe they can put vegetarian meat alternatives in two sections in the store (I wish!!).

Cassie
#5 Old 07-22-2003, 03:38 PM
Veggie Regular

My grocery store keeps tofu, veggie burgers, etc. in the produce section, and frozen meat replacements in an organic foods section, and soy milk in the milk section (although I buy it in tetra packs so it's in the baking section).

I agree that keeping the tofu, etc., visible to omnis makes them more likely to try these things. I don't mind walking around to find everything (although I could understand being perturbed about veggie dogs being kept with bacon etc.)

I imagine that part of the reason why everything is in the place it is is because of the refrigerators. Soy milk cartons fit nicely onto milk shelves, whereas tofu and veggie dogs need a different refrigerated display.

Interesting topic, though
#6 Old 07-22-2003, 03:48 PM
Veggie Regular

We usually shop at the Wal-Mart Super Center, or Publix, and they both keep all the veggie foods together and away from the meat. Well, Publix does have some of their Morningstar breakfast sandwiches in the freezer with frozen sausage, but that's it. I never buy any, anyway.

I see what you guys are saying, but I have to say, I'm really glad they keep my veggie foods away from the meat. I *hate* going into they grocery store and seeing bloody, dead animals all over the place. I try not to look anywhere near the corpse section. It's best I don't, because I have a big mouth, and I *will* make whatever comments come to mind. I know that's bad, I really should stop. *scolds self*
#7 Old 07-22-2003, 04:02 PM
Ama
Veggie Regular

My grocery store has a special little section for refridgerated veggie products like smart dogs. I like it that way. It's in the produce section and it's really prominent so I think it might still draw the interest of curious omnis. And then I don't have to leaf through all the gross meet just to get to my meatless meatballs. The frozen stuff is all mixed up, but it doesn't bother me that much. And the shelf stuff has its own section too.
#8 Old 07-22-2003, 04:21 PM

My store has most things mixed together. I'm still an omni, technically, and it's helped me find new meatless things. I remember wanting to buy frozen hamburgers becasue they would be easier to store and cook than buying fresh ground beef, and I ended up looking at the Boca Burgers next to them, and getting them insted. (I'm still hooked on the All-American Flame Grilled flavor... so good). I think it's good this way.
#9 Old 07-22-2003, 04:49 PM
Banned

My grocerrey store does what cookingVeg's does. I don't think I could put up with my veg chik'n patties being put in the bloody fresh meat section. I think lots of grocerry stores might realize this will alienate their vegetrian customers so they don't do it, since I don't see this situation that often.

Cassie
#10 Old 07-23-2003, 12:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Ama

My grocery store has a special little section for refridgerated veggie products like smart dogs

My store has a section like this on top of the things that are mixed in. Sorta adds to the confusion ... and then if I go to the other Kroger across town it's totally different, the frozen veg entrees are separate from most, but not all, other frozen foods.
#11 Old 07-23-2003, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sunnyk

Yes, it's less convenient for me to have to wander up and down aisles ... but maybe it makes it more likely that omnis will decide to try some of the veggie items sitting next to their meaty counterparts.

That's a really good point. I've always tended to prefer the stores that devote one area to "health food" (whatever that means), but I never thought about it this way before.
#12 Old 07-23-2003, 02:44 PM

mine has a section in the produce aisle with tofu and some veggie burgers and some other weird stuff...theres also a couple aisles called "wild harvest" with health food items and natural products, as well as personal care items like avalon organics and kiss my face products. the morning star and boca are in the frozen meats section. not next to the steaks and stuff, but next to the boxed chicken pots pies and the like. I like my grocery store, a lot. it's new this year, and huge. it has almost anything you want. right next to the wild harvest sections are a couple aisles of "shop the world" with lots of ethnic foods, I like how much they have there. so much. my old grocery store had that, but it was like, tortillas, basically.

Yeah, so, wanna know what else? I got my cousins into morning star chicken, they knew i was a vegetarian and saw me eating it(my mom had made a whole dinner, and didnt tell them it was fake chicken), and said.

"wait..."

and i told them it was fake and they were like.

"but this is good chicken!"
#13 Old 07-23-2003, 03:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Weird I was lurking and saw this thread - my dh and I were talking about this very thing while grocery shopping last night.

I wish all grocery stores would put Smart Dogs with the regular hot dogs, veggie deli slices with the deli meats, etc.

I could definitely put up with having to look at the real ones if more omnis would try the vegetarian ones and get over their fears....

Whatever will get the "good stuff" bought by as many people as possible would be fine with me. I think having it seperated just generates a section of the store which "normal people" will avoid like the plague.

The more often people see the vegetarian options sitting there alongside the real ones, the less scary vegetarian food will become.

Of course the meat section is yucky, but if a change would generate even one extra package of Smart Dogs sold, that would mean one LESS package of pig-beef-chicken-or-turkey dogs sold.

I'm all for that, personally. I'm not vegan for my own convenience, anyway, it's all about the bigger picture.
#14 Old 07-23-2003, 05:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Nice post, Music Girl!

Quote:
Originally posted by vegancherrypie

I think lots of grocerry stores might realize this will alienate their vegetrian customers so they don't do it, since I don't see this situation that often.

An ideal statement, however I bet they're much more worried about alienating their omnivorous customers.
#15 Old 07-23-2003, 06:41 PM

I agree wholeheaRtedly Music Girl

I definately think the meat substitutes should be placed alongside the revolting meat products.

Alot of people buy meat because they are accustomed to it and have always done it. I do hear alot of people saying that the meat section grosses them out but they still continue to buy it because they dont always know theres an alternative unless its right in front of their faces!! "Hmm, veggie dogs hey, I'll give those a try"

I'll take the inconvenience of walking all over if it will result in more omnivores buying veggie products!!
#16 Old 07-23-2003, 07:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by mikie

An ideal statement, however I bet they're much more worried about alienating their omnivorous customers.

We're talking about two different situations now! I was talking about stores that separate the veggie stuff from the meat stuff, it seems like you're talking about the stores that put them together.

Cassie
#17 Old 07-23-2003, 09:26 PM

I think were just saying we like the situation where grocers put the veggie items with the meat items so omni's can see it and maybe try them.
#18 Old 07-23-2003, 09:39 PM
Banned

I never said I disagreed with that, what I was talking about was what the stores I've seen actually do now.

Cassie
#19 Old 07-23-2003, 10:11 PM

I'm lost, but thats a natural state for me, anyways vegan cherrypie, I love ya and youre beautiful
#20 Old 07-23-2003, 11:26 PM

another thing to remember is that some companies want their products placed in certain spots, for example if you go to Yves website it specificially says you can find their products in the produce section.
#21 Old 07-25-2003, 04:57 PM
Veggie Regular

I shop mostly at the Whole Foods store, or at a locally-owned veggie-friendly store. These places do indeed have my foods all around the store, but it's really neat because it reflects that they stock *lots* of veg*n things, and they are kind of "mainstreamed" in those stores...aren't considered "weird" foods and put in the corner.
#22 Old 07-25-2003, 07:10 PM
Veggie Regular

At Whole Foods, the meat-alternatives are in their own section in the refrigerated foods area, closer to dairy than lunch meats or whatever, so that makes it easy.

I have thought about that at times. It is more work to find what is "safe" for me to eat, but it does keep the whole idea more mainstream. However, this is why I've had an idea for a brick and mortar veg-store in my mind for several months. I'd love to be able to walk in someplace and buy anything within those four walls with absolute confidence that it's all vegan. That would surely simplify my life.

At the Ralphs grocery store one block from me, their dry natural foods section is a completely separate aisle, but to get to meat analogues, you have to go between the produce and refrigerated cheeses section, and the soy ice creams are next to Ben and Jerry's and Haagen Dazs, the soy milk is next to cow's milk, etc. It's the design of the grocery store that enforces this layout, even when they do want to make it easier to find natural foods. Also, I buy some things there that aren't marketed toward vegans but are vegan-friendly, and none of them are on that special aisle, so I end up walking all over the store anyway.

Boy, was that a ramble. It'll do.
#23 Old 07-27-2003, 11:43 AM

Hmmmmmm....

I shop at

1)Wal-mart Supercenter

They have Yves and Lightlife, Tofu, Organic Produce all in the produce section

Special location for Aseptic Soy Milk

Silk and Sun Soy with Moo Milk in refrigerator

Bocas in freezer with breakfast frozen foods

2) Ukrops, local owned grocery store

Same set-up but with a natural foods section. Cool.

They also have the Bocas and Meat analogs with the frozen breakfast foods in another part of the store

3) Kroger

Same setup, they have a health foods section in some locations

4) Local HFS and Asian Grocers

Meat and Meat Analogs coexist here

I agree that maybe if the Omnis saw the veggie dogs near meaty ones, maybe they would at leat look at the calories and cholesterol and choose the veggie dogs.

But I really would hate my veggie dogs that close to meat and bloody things. I avoid the meat cases at all costs

Shannon
#24 Old 07-27-2003, 01:53 PM
Veggie Regular

My grocery store has the organic section that has a few isles and then a freezer section and cold section. Its right next to the produce. They used to have veggie coldcuts and tofu and such in the cold section, but now its full of Snapple?? and other weird nonsense. The tofu related merchandise is now with sprouts. Haha. I don't know whats with that... and the almost never have firm or extra firm tofu, but have tons of soft lite... which is really pretty useless imo...

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#25 Old 07-27-2003, 06:30 PM
Veggie Regular

I didn't realize WalMart carried all that stuff. I'm going to have to see if the one near my Mom does. It'll make my holiday visits go a lot easier.
#26 Old 07-29-2003, 11:56 PM

Since I live in a small town our grocery store doesn't have very many veg*n things. The veg*n things are on a VERY small shelf in between the veggies and fruits. I wish we had more of a selection.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page