County Fair--What to eat? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-29-2006, 11:56 AM
Veggie Regular

I work at my county fair, and this will be the first year there as a vegetarian. I had a hard time finding edible meals there as an omni--Is there any hope now that I'm a vegetarian?

I guess I'm asking for ideas for food, and other people's fair experiences. What types of food stands are likely to have veggie options? What can I make myself? I will be living there for a week. I have coolers with ice (and possibly a small refrigerator), a toaster oven, and a gas stove, although I'd rather not use the latter, as the sink in our camper is broken and I can't wash dishes.

Last year I survived all week on nachos and chicken fried rice. I can't do that again (and that's assuming that the Chinese stand offers vegetable fried rice, or else I really can't live like that). Please help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-29-2006, 12:05 PM
Veggie Regular

I think there may be an existing thread on this subject. Give me a few minutes to search for it...

Well, my search was a bust.

*this space not for sale*
#3 Old 06-29-2006, 12:25 PM
Veggie Regular

are apple/corn fritters veg? i have no idea what that dough is made of? man, i loved those when i was a kid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-29-2006, 12:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iria View Post

I work at my county fair, and this will be the first year there as a vegetarian. I had a hard time finding edible meals there as an omni--Is there any hope now that I'm a vegetarian?

I guess I'm asking for ideas for food, and other people's fair experiences. What types of food stands are likely to have veggie options?

I've worked at fairs (craft booth) and usually didn't have too much trouble coming up with something vegetarian. Cost and health were my issues. Check the booths with Chinese food to see if they have a rice that isn't made with meat broth and has no added chunks of meat. If so, add some veggies to it and you're set. If there is a place serving nachos, tacos or burritos then find out how what their selections of veggies is like and make a burrito or nachos from those. My favorite was always a gyro place where I'd get a veggie pita. Sometimes I had to pay for the chicken one and order it without the meat. I usually tried to go to the booths at a slow time so I could talk with the employees when they weren't trying to handle a ton of other customers. They were happy to help me when they learned that I was stuck working there just like they were- LOL.

Quote:
What can I make myself? I will be living there for a week. I have coolers with ice (and possibly a small refrigerator), a toaster oven, and a gas stove, although I'd rather not use the latter, as the sink in our camper is broken and I can't wash dishes.

Could you heat up water and use disposable dishware to eat from? If so, you could have oatmeal with some dried fruit and/or nuts in it or cereal for breakfast. With the toaster oven you could do toasted bread/bagels/english muffins with hummus and tomato. I've made grilled cheese sandwiches in those before too. Anything you can make by just adding water to would be worth bringing along - instant potatoes, ramen, cup of soup, etc. We usually kept bananas and apples with some peanut butter handy for snacks.

Good luck!
#5 Old 06-29-2006, 12:54 PM
Veggie Regular

This is really not a big problem. Except for the fridge (hopefully you get one) what you describe is a full working kitchen. (You will need to wash dishes in 2 dish pans and dump the water-- obviously). Since its summer you might think of bringing a small portable grill with charcol too-- you can have some grilled veggie sandwiches, or veggie burgers one night. Since your fridge situation is not reliable, bring soy milk and tofu in the UHT boxes. You will still need to refrigerate if you use 1/2 box.

This is assuming you will be cooking: I wouldnt rely on finding meat-free food there, so it is safer to plan for cooking for yourself:

Plan out each meal in advance and pack a box of the stuff you need. Each day of the week should get 3 meals and a few snacks. You might not be able to bring much fresh produce, but things like Potatos/onions need only to be kept in a cool dark place like under the counter. Bring a small jar of olive oil-- and in a pan you can make good hash-browns. (dont forget dish washing detergent).

Veggies and fruits: bring the types that dont wilt easily-- carrots, summer squash, eggplant, green beans. Canned flavored tomatos are great for nearly anything. I wouldn't avoid fresh veggies and fruit-- just keep them in a cool dark place or the refrigerator. One weeks worth isnt that much.

Once you make a meal plan, figure out how much you need. Example: you'll need one onion, two large potatos, four apples, 2-3 packs of flavored soy drink, 5 cups of rice, one package of instant oatmeal, etc., Then stick with your meal plan, and you should have just enough food.

Typical Ideas:

Breakfast packaged single serve oatmeal, fruit, and single serve packs of soy milk/ fruit, bagal, peanutbutter. Dry cerial (Kashi is good) and soy milk.

Lunch: Veggie juice, fruit, vegitarian instant soup/ hummas sandwich (fantastic makes dry hummas mix)/ any kind of bean and grain mix. Salad.

Dinner: rice and canned beans or veg chili w/tortillias. Falafal Pitas w cucumbers/tomatos. Pasta w/ maranara sauce and veggies. Garlic bread.

#6 Old 06-29-2006, 01:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Best of luck finding anything ready to eat. I am performing again tomorrow at our Fair and I will, as always, make sure to eat ahead of time and bring food in with me because the only vegan thing there is genetically modified corn and hydrogenated oil margarine

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#7 Old 06-29-2006, 02:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iria View Post

I guess I'm asking for ideas for food, and other people's fair experiences. What types of food stands are likely to have veggie options? What can I make myself? I will be living there for a week. I have coolers with ice (and possibly a small refrigerator), a toaster oven, and a gas stove, although I'd rather not use the latter, as the sink in our camper is broken and I can't wash dishes.

Last year I survived all week on nachos and chicken fried rice. I can't do that again (and that's assuming that the Chinese stand offers vegetable fried rice, or else I really can't live like that). Please help!

Can you go to a local store for veggies? Since it's only a week, you could use paper plates maybe.

That's what I would do.

Of course, as a vegetarian, I'd probably eat funnel cakes until I puked. I loves the funnel cake. :sigh:

Mary
#8 Old 06-29-2006, 03:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks guys. I guess the cooking question was a bit obvious--now I just need to learn how to cook, lol. You'd laugh if you saw how proud I was the day I made Uncle Ben's Oriental Rice with frozen vegetables. I suppose that's the reason I nearly starved last year at fair, so I guess I'd better learn some new skills.

I have to ask, what does veggie juice taste like? I have never heard of it before.
#9 Old 06-29-2006, 04:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Here in Edge of the World, Missouri about the best I hope for in fair-type food is the loaded baked potatoes. Except mine aren't very loaded, without the meat, cheese, and sour cream. Still, a tater with chopped onion and tomato is food, in a pinch. I'll also sometimes get the 'walking tacos' without the meat; which ends up being doritos with salsa, lettuce, tomato, and maybe cheese if I'm feeling protein-deprived.
#10 Old 06-29-2006, 05:07 PM
Beginner

gotta say, I usually just bring food. I gave up hope of finding anything other than cheese pizza and nachos.
#11 Old 06-30-2006, 04:34 AM
Beginner

Well, if you close you eyes to what was cooked in the oil, there are fried foods which in themselves would be vegetarian.
#12 Old 06-30-2006, 05:12 AM

I completely skipped going to my local fair last year, after I went vegetarian. There wasn't much there for me to eat that was semi-healthy anyway. I would avoid the food altogether, if I were you.

Gita had some great advice - good luck with your cooking!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page