I heard Portland, OR is very veg friendly? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-28-2006, 08:13 PM

Anyone (preferably a OR resident) know more about this? I had lived in WA my whole childhood and never went to OR (pretty rare, I know!) but my mother told me the other day Portland is very natural and caters to vegetarian/vegan people.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-28-2006, 09:03 PM
Beginner

I don't live in Oregon (I'm in Northern CA), but I've heard the same thing. Portland was voted one of ten most veg-friendly cities last year in Vegetarian Times. Check out Happycow.com and it will show you all the vegan/vegetarian restaurants and health food stores there. I think there are somewhere around 35 in Portland. Eugene, OR is also a very veg-friendly place I've heard.
#3 Old 06-28-2006, 09:35 PM
Veggie Regular

What do you want to know about it? Portland is natural except for all the asphalt & concrete. But there are a lot of natural food stores, vegetarian restaurants, and various other veg-friendly places. What are you looking for?

<< portlander born & raised
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-28-2006, 11:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Portland is great for veg. friendly restaurants and such. I live in Washington but travel to Portland several times a year with work, so I figured I'd answer anyway. I feel like I'm pretty familiar with Portland.

Depending on where you live, Washington is good too however.

I know both Portland and Seattle were two of the top veg-friendly cities in some poll recently, I think they both have good thngs to offer. What specifically are you interested in? (I know, someone already asked that, but I was wondering too).
#5 Old 06-29-2006, 12:20 AM

I was just in Portland for a weekend, and my friend took me to a couple of good places. The Tin Shed had great tofu scrambles for breakfast, and Veganopolis offered a tasty all-vegan menu. I was shocked! Living in Sacramento, we have exactly one vegetarian restaurant (Vietnamese) and a Rastafarian vegan roach coach with about six menu items total. Not exactly the most veg-friendly city. I miss Portland already!
#6 Old 06-29-2006, 01:17 AM
Veggie Regular

I am moving to Vancouver Washington and will probably work in Portland by this time next year. I love the area. My whole family lives out there. I'm the onlyone who lives in a "strange" place (Iowa-- pig killing capitol of the U.S. Yuk).
#7 Old 06-29-2006, 06:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaileikehe View Post

Anyone (preferably a OR resident) know more about this? I had lived in WA my whole childhood and never went to OR (pretty rare, I know!) but my mother told me the other day Portland is very natural and caters to vegetarian/vegan people.

I lived there for a few years and found that to be true. It was a rude awakening moving from Portland to Michigan. (UGH!) Recently I visited there for a week and my husband only ate meat once because the veg dishes I was finding looked so good to him! Our favorite restaurant was Old Wives Tales where Sandy Blvd & Burnside cross. Seems like they had a good selection for everyone.
#8 Old 06-29-2006, 10:37 AM

Hmm.. okay.

Well, I was thinking of attending college in either Seattle or Portland, so I was curious as to grocery stores, restauarants, health food/vitamin-type places.. ect.

I became vegan after I moved here (VA Beach), so I'd have to check out Seattle again too.
#9 Old 06-29-2006, 12:11 PM
Veggie Regular

I know nothing of Portland (except that I hate that @#$%$ bridge of theirs), but Seattle is a good place for veg*n options, too (MMMMMM... Araya's ).

As I remember it, there's quite a lot of veg*n restaurants, healthfood shops (I think there's a Wild Oats or a Wholefoods there? One of the two) and CSA's/farmer's markets round the area. VegFest is also held in Seattle every year, too.

Plus, iirc, there's a few ethnic groceries in Seattle as well - extra handy for those veg*n delights that your average American-based store might not have (or might have at many times higher in price).

I'm not sure how close everything is to the college there... that's a thing you'd have to find out on your own but in general, Seattle's quite the veggie friendly city.
#10 Old 06-29-2006, 01:48 PM
Banned

I'm a Portlander, but I've spent most of my veg years in Eugene....I, basically, concur with Amy.

>>Living in Sacramento, we have exactly one vegetarian restaurant (Vietnamese) and a Rastafarian vegan roach coach with about six menu items total.>>

Jeez! I thought Sacramento was about as big as Portland...this is dismal!

ebola
#11 Old 06-29-2006, 03:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ommmmaggie View Post

Living in Sacramento, we have exactly one vegetarian restaurant (Vietnamese) and a Rastafarian vegan roach coach with about six menu items total.

What about that Mongolian restaurant near Sunrise Mall? Isn't that still there?

Ebola/Gnome: Sacramento is just a potty stop on the way to San Francisco from LA. EVERYONE knows that....

<<< is from Sac (so no throwing TOMATOES at me, okay? ).
#12 Old 06-29-2006, 04:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4EverGrounded View Post

<<< is from Sac (so no throwing TOMATOES at me, okay? ).

Throw 'em at Ah-nuld instead.

*this space not for sale*
#13 Old 06-29-2006, 05:54 PM
Banned

>>Ebola/Gnome: Sacramento is just a potty stop on the way to San Francisco from LA. EVERYONE knows that.... >>

I guess with metro areas that large, you can have potty stops with populations of 500,000.

ebola
#14 Old 06-29-2006, 06:52 PM

Huh.. VegFest.. interesting.

Thanks for all the information! It's really helping me out (=
#15 Old 06-29-2006, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnome Chomsky View Post

Jeez! I thought Sacramento was about as big as Portland...this is dismal!

Sacramento is just about the same size as Portland. It's a pretty conservative town compared to other NorCal towns. There are a few natural foods stores - most just okay, but we have a local cooperative grocery store that is awesome! I should have counted them as a place to eat, they have a nice deli with lots of vegetarian options, some vegan and some gluten or wheat-free options too. But our restaurant selection is pretty crappy.
#16 Old 06-29-2006, 09:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4EverGrounded View Post

I know nothing of Portland (except that I hate that @#$%$ bridge of theirs)

Um... which one? There's like... 9 on the willamette and 2 on the columbia.

I can vouch for Sacramento sucking.

As for restaurants, there are a lot of vegetarian ones, and nearly every restaurant is veg-friendly (even steakhouses & grills). Thai & Indian food abounds, and every pizza joint will have a handful of vegetarian pizzas. There are at least 3 co-ops that I know of, which are of course veg-friendly, a few Trader Joes, a couple of Wild Oats (though they closed one or two), a few New Seasons stores (kind of like Wild Oats), and one Whole Foods (though two more are opening in the next year or two).

There are a few vegetarian food carts downtown that are decent. Veganopolis sucks ass IMO - I don't need to pay $6 to slap some fake meat & lettuce between two slices of store-bought bread, TYVM.

But if you're looking to go to college here... are you looking at private schools? If not, Portland State is your only choice, and I'm not sure it's worth attending if you're coming for an education. Other Oregon schools are better (like U of O) and Eugene is a very veg-friendly (albeit quite boring) city. Town. Whatever.
#17 Old 06-30-2006, 09:30 AM

Thanks so much everyone for all your information!

I think I'll go to UW and visit Portland a lot haha. But even then, it sounds like there's a lot in Seattle as well.

But again, thanks for your insights.. I'm very thankful!! ^.^
#18 Old 06-30-2006, 10:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

Throw 'em at Ah-nuld instead.

I'd love to!

ooooh how I'd love to....
#19 Old 06-30-2006, 11:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonAmy View Post

Um... which one? There's like... 9 on the willamette and 2 on the columbia.

I think it's one of the ones on the Columbia.

All I remember is that it was reeeeallllly high up and reeeeeallllly long and I was reeeeealllly scared to death crossing that thing (me... bridges.... not THE best combo in the world, I gotta tell ya. ).
#20 Old 06-30-2006, 05:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Thx for the timely thread. I'm flying to PDX tomorrow for a two-week vacation hiking in the Cascades and Olympic peninsula. Some veggie establishments in Portland will definitely be getting my business very soon.
#21 Old 06-30-2006, 07:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunsWithFoxes View Post

Thx for the timely thread. I'm flying to PDX tomorrow for a two-week vacation hiking in the Cascades and Olympic peninsula. Some veggie establishments in Portland will definitely be getting my business very soon.

If you have time for some non veggie establishments, Andina and Fratelli get the OregonAmy and remilard seal of approval. Both are very vegetarian and fairly vegan friendly. Both are in the "Pearl District" in Northwest Portland. Both are fairly expensive but have bars where you could eat tapas/antipasta for $10 or so and get a reasonable amount of food.
#22 Old 06-30-2006, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonAmy View Post

Veganopolis sucks ass IMO - I don't need to pay $6 to slap some fake meat & lettuce between two slices of store-bought bread, TYVM.

I hear ya Amy! But I'll admit, when I travel (which I do quite a bit) it is soooo comforting to know there are places where I can really eat good vegan food - not just salad with oil & lemon or baked potatoes with salsa.
#23 Old 06-30-2006, 07:43 PM
Banned

Vegethai 0wnz j00.

As does Nicholas (not a veggie resaurant per se, but it has mad options and is cheap. The Mezza platters are masive. I would say that 1 could feed two people.

ebola
#24 Old 09-25-2007, 10:31 PM
Banned

Portland rocks for vegans, lots of options, lots of fun. To Oregon Amy

who said Veganopolis sucks ass I'd like to say that you are WAY WRONG.

Every time I've eaten there the food has been awesome, and isn't it

a good thing that somebody had the guts to open a vegan restaurant

right downtown where there is NOTHING else available for vegans?

You're just an idiot, Oregon Amy. You're probably one of those people

who HATES EVERYTHING.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page