VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   Vegetarian Support Forum (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/11-vegetarian-support-forum/)
-   -   vegan hiking boots (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/11-vegetarian-support-forum/51469-vegan-hiking-boots.html)

michigan roman 06-17-2006 08:05 PM

this is probably wrong section to post this but here goes . ive been strict vegan 14 years and one of the hardest things to find was good sturdy foot wear at a reasonable price , most of the time i can only get cheap vinyl products that unglue in about 3 months . then about 3 years ago payless shoe source started selling a great pair of hiking boots made out of a combination of nylon , canvas , vinyl , im not sure what all but im sure its all man made material . i do outdoor physical labor and run in these boots and they hold up great . plus they look good so i wear one pair soley for dress shoes . they are both sturdy and light , i rate em 9 out of ten and was only paying $24 for them . but to my horror they stopped selling them . so i thought ide list them and the web site of payless here so maybe some fellow vegans can go to the site and maybe say i heard you quit carrying a good type of man made material hiking boot and im one person whom would like that you carry as many man made material items as possible of lasting design cuz its hard for vegans to find good shoes , or something like that . heres boot type = state street brand - black hiker - #27109 . web site is = www.payless.com . i promise if you like hiking boots and ever get a pair of these at said price you'll be VERY happy with them as a solid every day shoe . GOODDAY

bigdufstuff 06-18-2006 03:49 AM

I'm currently in the market for a vegan hiking shoe. I think I may end up buying a Garmout Vegan. From the reviews I've read it is considered THE vegan hiking boot. It isn't exactly $24 though!

Trueveggie14 06-18-2006 08:54 AM

We can't all afford $100 boots. Oh sorry, Mooshoes is selling that Garmont for $145. I second the $40 or less club. I was just at Kmart the other night, because I need vegan steel toe safety boots that are ANSI certified. It's an electrical safety thing. Anyway they had two good-looking man made material boots, but none in my size.

Maybe it will help someone else, even though it didn't help me. I just checked and they don't list these on their website. The only "shoes" they list on the website are for fishing, skating, bowling, etc.

They have these in men's sizes 7 or 7 1/2 -- 11 at the store.

Wrangler model #46798

Workforce model #46702

I believe both of these were $29.99 plus Kmart is having a buy one, get one for 50% off sale on the shoes.

They also had non-steel toe hiking boots made w/o animal products, but since I didn’t need them I didn’t write down the numbers.

VEGirl3 06-18-2006 09:05 AM

I wish you would have told me this Before i gave in a let my mother buy cheap leather hiking boots for me!

Tesseract 06-18-2006 09:10 AM

I just picked up the Teva Rydecker Pro at Zappos. I love them. They're not a hard-core hiker, but they're a good lightweight all-purpose sport/trail shoe, and I find them good for light hiking. Also great for all water-based sports, although I don't use them for that. But I should note they're >$70.

queenfluff 06-18-2006 10:02 AM

I buy Vegetarian Boots.

http://www.vegetarian-shoes.co.uk/

I have the ten hole ones now.

They are from the UK so you will probably have to order them online.

They used to sell them here in Chicago at The Alley. Don't know if they still do.

They are like Doc Martens so they have that thick comfortable sole so my feet don't feel tired when I walk in them. Plus they are great for the winter too.

I used to work at the zoo and I wore these as my 'work boots' and I stepped in pools many times with them on and water-logged them, spilled old watery fish mixture on them, and stepped in muddy exhibits and they never fell apart! After my 2 1/2 years at the zoo, I did throw them out when I left because they smelled like fish. But they were still in one piece - not a sign of falling apart - which was impressive considering how I totally trashed them many times!

The material did get a bit stiff every time they got wet and dried out but once I walked in them again, they material loosen up again.

I have a new pair now which I have had for four years and worn hiking and camping and have gotten them wet in pool and snow and they are still in great shape.

They are a bit expensive (I think I paid US amount is close to 100$ - depends on which ones you buy too) But because of how they last, I think they are well worth it.

Sorry a bit long...but I had to rave on these boots ..because I think they the greatest!

queenfluff

eggplant 06-18-2006 11:29 AM

I have a pair of New Balance vegan hiking boots that I bought from this online outlet: www.joesnewbalanceoutlet.com. They were originally something like $100, but I got them 75% off. Of course that was over a year ago and they're probably not still there, but the site is worth checking out to see if you can get a good deal on hiking boots. I always find good deals on running shoes there too.

eggplant 06-18-2006 11:32 AM

http://www.joesnewbalanceoutlet.com/...style=WWM955NV

These are hiking shoes, not boots, but they look pretty good! I'm not absolutely positive they're vegan, but you could e-mail the company to find out.