I. Hate. Humans. - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 06-19-2006, 07:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudVegan View Post

Sometimes one person cant really make the difference. If you had said something, do you think others would have followed and realized what they're witnessing? Or do you think that the rest being an omnivore thinking the way they do, will just bash at you?

Just a thought... im not implying anything.

I disagree I think one person can always make a difference. In this case, I know that the frustration and the sadness you felt was depressing. And trust me you aren't a bad person . . . sometimes you feel overwhelmed.

But as suggested, you need to get in touch with an animal welfare group in your area and to rabbit rescues. You'd be surprised by the power of just one person. I'll share a story with you:

Recently a friend of mine notice that at the LAX airport there were three birds in a cage - no water, no food, and in the heat. They were obviously distressed and scared. So she came back a little while later and found only one bird in the cage. She asked around and found that airport policy is such that they use a "decoy" bird to trap birds around the airport because of the dangers to planes. The trapped birds are then destroyed.

She was very upset and almost came to the conclusion that this was something that had to be 'accepted'. But I forwarded her email to a few sources and it has gone EVERYWHERE in just a few days. Everyone thinks that there has to be a humane solution to this. And in fact, it is common practice for a falconer (sp?) to be hired at airports. Other birds won't come miles around the airport when they realize that there's a falcon there!

Anyway, I think the email has gone to the right people, who can talk to the right people and hopefully their practice of trapping and killing birds can be stopped.

I don't know what the end of this story is . . . hopefully there will be a good ending. But all it took is for one person to see what was happening and to send an email out for thousands of birds to be saved!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 06-19-2006, 10:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by carabdle View Post

I sometimes wonder that too...what if the omnis milling around are just ignorant to what they're seeing...that it's a matter of misperception? If we approach situations without an angry or judgemental outburst (which in this case I would find hard, but if we could), maybe we would have a better chance?!

Definitely! I think society sort of programs us to believe/think/live a certain way... I remember as a small kid I hated killing bugs and when I heard people talking about being vegetarian, I always felt guilty although I didn't voice my concern.

Every social movement (which vegetarian is, IMO) has to have the "extreme" promoters to get people fired up and to get everyone talking (which I call PETA ) But it's the fairly silent majority of people who are simply living their lives based on their beliefs that eventually change people and educate them.

I do think, like you said, most people are just ignorant to the truth... but I think even more simply ignore the truth because it's not what they've been taught to believe/do and it's not socially accepted.

I think making small steps, like ending the horrible things that are going on at fairs like this one, are great ways to change peoples' minds. If people don't see animals being tortured on a daily basis, they can't think it's normal right?
#33 Old 06-20-2006, 11:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Society and commercials have built up this image in people's heads that cruelty isn't happening today. It all comes back to ignorance. How are people supposed to see the truth when they are being pumped full of "Happy Cows come from California" and scenes of families happy at the dinner table dining on KFC? I suppose it's our responsibility to show them the truth behind comforting images.

Hey, but we're getting there!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 06-24-2006, 08:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussyj View Post

I denounce my title as a human. I am now a wonderer of species.

Found this in my psych textbook and thought of this thread:

"Man is the only animal that blushes. Or needs to." -Mark Twain

Some food for thought. Certain things the human race inflicts on others, human and non-human alike, are just plain, downright shameful.
#35 Old 06-24-2006, 08:35 PM
Veggie Regular

I might have said something or called the ASPCA.

But to be honest, the reaction here is pretty typical. A lot of people just don't want to cause a scene and have people look at them like they're crazy. It's purely human nature and not really something you can help.

Considering how I have reacted before, I probably would have walked up to the families and started talking about my 3 bunnies and talking about how they are to be taken care of, how much they cost, things like that. It would at least give me some hope that the bunnies would go to better homes and better educated people and then others would actually think and just walk away realizing how much responsibility a bunny is.

I don't understand why it's legal to auction off live animals at carnivals. That's just demented.
#36 Old 06-24-2006, 10:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginaCeltarum View Post

Found this in my psych textbook and thought of this thread:

"Man is the only animal that blushes. Or needs to." -Mark Twain

Some food for thought. Certain things the human race inflicts on others, human and non-human alike, are just plain, downright shameful.

I LOVE that quote!
#37 Old 06-24-2006, 10:51 PM

I would have confronted the person at the booth in a nice way and just suggested that they give away an item as opposed to an animal. I have confronted people before.. I just do it in a really nice way so as not to make them feel threatened. You can always try educating people and if that doesnt work I would definately write up their name and the carnival they are working with and alert an animal rights foundation.
#38 Old 06-24-2006, 10:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moechalatte View Post

I LOVE that quote!

It is a good one. Mark Twain also wrote an essay called "The Lowest Animal" (in reference to man, of course) I think it was him... I don't have the book it's in to check.
#39 Old 06-25-2006, 04:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginaCeltarum View Post

It is a good one. Mark Twain also wrote an essay called "The Lowest Animal" (in reference to man, of course) I think it was him... I don't have the book it's in to check.

'Twas indeed Mark Twain who wrote "The Lowest Animal". ^_^
#40 Old 06-25-2006, 05:30 AM
Veggie Regular

We have a prayer that is part of our mass on Sunday. We confess to God our sins, for things we have done, and those we have failed to do. I'm guilty at times of not doing something/speaking up when I probably should. I like this story:

Making a Difference (The Story of the Starfish)

A man was walking down a deserted ocean beach at sunset. As he walked along, he could make out the silhouette of another man in the distance.

As he drew nearer, he observed this person repeatedly bending down, picking something up off the beach, and throwing it out into the water. Time and again the man kept hurling things into the ocean.

As the man approached even closer, he noticed that this man was picking up starfish and, one at a time, he was throwing them back into the water.

Puzzled at this behaviour, the man approached. “Good evening, friend,” he said, “can I ask what it is you are doing?”

The man replied: “I’m throwing these starfish back into the sea. You see, it’s low tide, and all of these starfish have been washed up on the shore. If they’re not thrown back into the water, they’ll die from lack of oxygen.”

“While I understand and applaud your intentions,” the first man responded, “there must be thousands of starfish on this beach. You can’t possibly save all of them. And there must be hundreds of beaches just like this one up and down the coast. Can’t you see that you can’t possibly make a difference?”

The man smiled. Then, bending down, he picked up yet another starfish and, having tossed it carefully into the surf, turned to the other man. “Made a difference to that one,” he replied as he walked away. ~Unknown
#41 Old 06-25-2006, 06:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
I. Hate. Humans.

Awww . . . I hate you too.
#42 Old 06-25-2006, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post

We have a prayer that is part of our mass on Sunday. We confess to God our sins, for things we have done, and those we have failed to do. I'm guilty at times of not doing something/speaking up when I probably should. I like this story:

Making a Difference (The Story of the Starfish)

A man was walking down a deserted ocean beach at sunset. As he walked along, he could make out the silhouette of another man in the distance.

As he drew nearer, he observed this person repeatedly bending down, picking something up off the beach, and throwing it out into the water. Time and again the man kept hurling things into the ocean.

As the man approached even closer, he noticed that this man was picking up starfish and, one at a time, he was throwing them back into the water.

Puzzled at this behaviour, the man approached. Good evening, friend, he said, can I ask what it is you are doing?

The man replied: Im throwing these starfish back into the sea. You see, its low tide, and all of these starfish have been washed up on the shore. If theyre not thrown back into the water, theyll die from lack of oxygen.

While I understand and applaud your intentions, the first man responded, there must be thousands of starfish on this beach. You cant possibly save all of them. And there must be hundreds of beaches just like this one up and down the coast. Cant you see that you cant possibly make a difference?

The man smiled. Then, bending down, he picked up yet another starfish and, having tossed it carefully into the surf, turned to the other man. Made a difference to that one, he replied as he walked away. ~Unknown

I like that story.
#43 Old 06-25-2006, 05:06 PM
Veggie Regular

I really like that story!! I'm going to have to remember it for when my friends ask me why I rescue bugs...
#44 Old 06-25-2006, 05:32 PM
Veggie Regular

The starfish story has been one of my favorites for a long time. I even brought it up when my mom visited this weekend.
#45 Old 06-25-2006, 09:13 PM
Beginner

I keep thinking this thread says "I. Hate. Hummus." and I'm all like "but it's so delicious! why do you hate it?"

haha
#46 Old 06-25-2006, 09:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasing the Dog View Post

I keep thinking this thread says "I. Hate. Hummus." and I'm all like "but it's so delicious! why do you hate it?"

haha

lol. that reminds me of a chinese buffet place i used to go to (my family liked them) there was this dish called hunan chicken that i always read as "human chicken" and was like what the hell??
#47 Old 06-25-2006, 10:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for the back-up, guys! I really felt terrible, and I still do, but not for the same reasons... Those bunnies...

Anyway, Thanks! I have been looking into contacting someone about this guy. Unfortunately, I have no idea what his name, number, or sponsor (if he has one) is. The only thing I can think to do is to talk to the lady in charge of the activities at my town fair. I might be able to explain to her why I would like to see these activities go.

As bad as the bunny incident was, I have been thinking even more of the braced horses that can only roam in a set path of a circle and give little kids rides all day. They can not turn or anything, as they are braced to this circular base. They can only walk, in the hot heat, forced to carry these... these *******s! ...

I know the lady, and she probably will not take my suggestions to heart. What do I do?
#48 Old 06-26-2006, 12:15 AM
Veggie Regular

kidnap her, chain her to a pole for a year, and let a bunch of spider monkeys jump on her all day!!

in my last trip to minnesota, i was at THE mall, and at the aquarium, they had an octopus in a cage like 3 or 4 feet wide... made me sick, and the petting part, these fish had a plastic white ring tub to just swim in circles the whole lives. and then we went to some popular xmas display house, and they had reindeer in a pen the size of a bedroom... and the worst part was, their water bowl was frozen so they couldnt drink. i cant stand caging animals for pets.
#49 Old 06-26-2006, 02:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Really? THE mall?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page