To swat, or not to swat - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-13-2006, 08:27 PM
Beginner

As I was eating dinner with my husband, he asked me an interesting question. We had the exterminator in this week to spray our house, and he (my husband) wondered how many vegetarians/vegans kill bugs. I thought this was a pretty interesting question.

Do you think it is okay to have pest control (for bugs) in your house? How many of you will swat at a fly, smack a mosquito that's on your arm biting you, swat a big, hairy spider that's on your wall with a magazine, etc...?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-13-2006, 08:30 PM
Veggie Regular

I have no problem killing insects. Sometimes I trap and release the really big ones, but that's just because I'm a little grossed out to squish them.

ETA: That being said, I don't randomly kill all the insects I see. If there's a bug crawling around outside or in any building except my house, I'll just leave it alone.
#3 Old 06-13-2006, 08:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Never!!!

I don't know if I'm in the minority here or not, but I don't think any living creature should be killed purely for fun, unnecessary food, sport, etc., including being an inconvenience or annoying.

Every living thing gets ONE single shot here on Earth, and I feel bad enough mowing my lawn and killing so many of them, I could never bring myself to step on a bug and end its life so senselessly, just because I may be uncomfortable with it sharing my living space, or whatever.

I like to live by the rules that I will only have a hand in killing living creatures if I absolutely can't avoid it (walking down the street stepping on bugs for instance) or if it breaks a code/law (ie: mowing my lawn), or if it's in the overall, general best interest to do so (ie: spraying for termites if they're tearing my home down... they have plenty of wood elsewhere to eat than my home... and if there were a way to move them to that place rather than kill them, I would).

I would really like to believe that other veg*ans out there believe this too and don't put particular animals' lives above others...?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-13-2006, 08:42 PM
Veggie Regular

The only animal that I would consider killing, or kill, is one that attacks me. This holds true to all beings in the Kingdom Animalia.
#5 Old 06-13-2006, 08:56 PM

Quote:
How many of you will swat at a fly, smack a mosquito that's on your arm biting you, swat a big, hairy spider that's on your wall with a magazine, etc...?

Me! Actually I have been good to spiders in my house this year. One was on my arm last night. I just flicked it with my finger over the big screen.

If I am outside I am rather nice to them. I just buy those candles that keep them away on my deck. Well, for mosquito's anyway.

If they can hurt me, than yes!
#6 Old 06-13-2006, 09:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by troub View Post

The only animal that I would consider killing, or kill, is one that attacks me. This holds true to all beings in the Kingdom Animalia.

What about mowing your lawn then, or other situations like that? Just wondering...
#7 Old 06-13-2006, 09:21 PM
Ankle Biter

No exterminators - no. I feed lots of birds in the yard, and they seem to be good at keeping the bad bugs away. I try to take all of the bugs I find in the house outside. As for mosquitos, I must admit that I do smack when they bite. I try to keep a natural repellent on, but sometimes they still land and draw blood. I also give the dogs heartworm and flea and tick preventative.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#8 Old 06-13-2006, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moechalatte View Post

What about mowing your lawn then, or other situations like that? Just wondering...

You did not ask me but if our lawn was not mowed, we would be kicked out of our neighborhood. Geez, extreme people. The weed wacker made our yard look pretty good too.
#9 Old 06-13-2006, 10:02 PM
Veggie Regular

I was only asking Troub that because he says he doesn't kill any animals at all unless threatened... I was just wondering how situations like these are justified or different.

I don't think it's extreme at all to not want to kill thousands of innocent creatures every other day for vanity purposes, and I don't like feeling like I'm being mocked.

By the way, I did say in my post earlier that I do have an exception to killing animals because of codes and laws that force me to mow my lawn. Of course I mow my lawn. But I do think the only reason we mow our lawn is for vanity purposes, and I think it's very sad that so many living creatures die because of our vanity... I think it's even more sad that a fellow vegetarian doesn't value all living creatures equally.
#10 Old 06-13-2006, 10:37 PM
Veggie Regular

I like bugs, especially praying mantis'. I was thinking about this this morning because when I was in the shower a small fly flew in through the top and landed at the bottom, or course the water was running, and hot and it's wings were getting wet. I didn't want to touch a fly, but then I didn't want it to drown. Before I could really decide what to do it died. I hadn't thought about the water being hot. It was kind of sad.

I usually take any bugs outside.
#11 Old 06-13-2006, 10:40 PM

forget it?
#12 Old 06-13-2006, 10:52 PM

never had an exterminator until we lived in az--sorry, but i can't deal with scorpions! their sting can make you ill and one kind can kill...we had one in our house which my husband put outside, then we had a few more and i freaked out--mostly because of the fear of our son getting stung...
#13 Old 06-13-2006, 10:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Ok, I will admit-i have no sympathy for spiders.... I must have them killed. I've weighed the options of A) Let the spiders live and feel good about letting something live B) Have someone kill the spiders and me keep my sanity and be able to sleep... Yeah, spiders make me literally hysterical (i start laughing and crying and feel like i'm going to pass out...) Not justifying, just explaining. The occassional bee or hornet will be swatted so my pets won't get stung. If my home were infested w/roaches, I'd bring in an exterminator for health reasons (thankfully no roaches here) When my dog has a tick on her, I tweeze it off and flush it. I kill mosquitos because of West Nile... I'd rather live w/the fact that I killed a skeeter than live w/me or my animals having West Nile. Like, if there were a rabid animal going to attack me or my pets, I'd fight it till the death of it if I had to. Anyway, other than that, I either just leave the bugs alone or set them free outside.
#14 Old 06-13-2006, 11:41 PM
Veggie Regular

If it's in my house it dies. I hate insects.
#15 Old 06-13-2006, 11:55 PM
Beginner

I've had a pretty big fear of spiders too. It got to the point where I would shake if I even saw one outside. I've been getting over it well though, and have been able to catch some and put them outside (now they even have "spider vacuums" you can buy that don't hurt them and you don't have to get too close). I think being afraid of spiders is a very deep-rooted psychological issue (not saying you have issues if you are afraid of spiders). What I mean is that a lot of childrens books and movies have the spider being the "scary bad guy". The same goes for snakes. Some books are now trying to make spiders seem more friendly, so maybe future generations will have less fear of spiders (I dunno though, because a lot of the classics are still passed around). Personally, I will always try to get a bug out of my house and even watch where I am stepping to avoid squishing ants, worms, etc. On rainy days I'll sometimes be walking on the sidewalk and see squirming worms that will dry out when it stops raining and I quickly put them on the grass (I guess the oils in our hands aren't good for their skin, right?). I've never had a problem with mosquitoes though!
#16 Old 06-14-2006, 12:03 AM
Banned

Spiders I catch in a jar and put outside in the garden. Flies I only swat if there's food around otherwise I try to steer them outside. And Mozzies I kill everytime because they seem to like my blood a lot.
#17 Old 06-14-2006, 12:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Since I live in an area thats almost entirely free of poisonous spiders I definitely have no problem with them. They're beneficial and help get rid of many other bugs - I actually rather like spiders...

I plant a butterfly-and-bee-attracting flower garden and choose flowers specificly to attract these insects. I also have praying mantis and ladybugs for pest control there...

"Pest" insects (termites, aphids, etc.) or ones that can carry disease and harm my family (mosquitos, roaches, flies, ticks) are immediately exterminated without the slightest feeling of remorse or guilt.
#18 Old 06-14-2006, 12:11 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't kill the insects that I find fascinating... flies, butterflies, caterpillars, outdoor ants, etc.

I definetely kill insects that are a threat to me or my pets health... mosquitoes, ticks, fleas, etc.

I probably will kill insects that I dislike inside my house.... pincher bugs, spiders, ants, etc.

I went veg for animal welfare reasons. But since insects don't have the same capacity for suffering and pain as mammals and fish, I'm generally not too concerned with their life or death.
#19 Old 06-14-2006, 12:29 AM

If it's anything bigger than an ant, I'll most likely go into freak-out mode and swat it. This happens a lot in the shower when I see a spider in the corner of the tub. However, I've let a few silverfish crawl around under my mattress mostly to avoid having insect guts spewed all over my sheets. Choose your battles wisely.

I've always liked ants so I get a little hurt when I see other people squashing them. The kids in my chemisty class are absolutely sadistic; they put the ants on hot plates and cook them.
#20 Old 06-14-2006, 12:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Spiders will not hurt you. And like Tofu said, they're actually really good to have in your home. If you see one skitter across the room, it's probably because he's trying to get back to its safe spot in a wall. Most will never bite you and even fewer with actually harm you. There is only one kind of spider in my area that is a threat, but they enjoy being in small, dark spaces - in fact the only cases I'm aware of where someone was harmed because of them is when someone was trying to mess with them. If you leave them alone, they'll go back to their little home in your home on their own... no need to kill them honestly... To me it sounds like many people simply have an irrational fear of things they find "scary" or "gross" ... but that doesn't make them a threat - if you don't want to kill a cow or a dog, what justifies you killing a spider?
#21 Old 06-14-2006, 12:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikisstrees View Post

I've had a pretty big fear of spiders too. It got to the point where I would shake if I even saw one outside. I've been getting over it well though, and have been able to catch some and put them outside (now they even have "spider vacuums" you can buy that don't hurt them and you don't have to get too close). I think being afraid of spiders is a very deep-rooted psychological issue (not saying you have issues if you are afraid of spiders). What I mean is that a lot of childrens books and movies have the spider being the "scary bad guy". The same goes for snakes. Some books are now trying to make spiders seem more friendly, so maybe future generations will have less fear of spiders (I dunno though, because a lot of the classics are still passed around). Personally, I will always try to get a bug out of my house and even watch where I am stepping to avoid squishing ants, worms, etc. On rainy days I'll sometimes be walking on the sidewalk and see squirming worms that will dry out when it stops raining and I quickly put them on the grass (I guess the oils in our hands aren't good for their skin, right?). I've never had a problem with mosquitoes though!

Your post makes me happy

I love what you said about worms... I'm definitely not a bleeding-heart animal lover (I do love them, but you know what I mean I hope) - but it does make me very sad to see worms in that position as well.

I think you're right about kids being raised to view things in certain ways... I was terrified of both snakes and spiders for a long time (now I look back and wonder how silly I was for so long, being afraid of something so tiny and so innocent...). I wish more people would look at the issue logically instead of giving into their irrational fears of creatures that are simply different from us, not scary or gross or mean, etc...
#22 Old 06-14-2006, 01:46 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm bad....I kill nearly all of them and I do feel guilty when I do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by astro View Post

Mozzies I kill everytime because they seem to like my blood a lot.

Maybe they got hooked on the stuff that's in it

m8itcanw8.com
#23 Old 06-14-2006, 02:07 AM
Veggie Regular

I unfortunately kill bugs when there are a lot of them, i.e. I don't spend 5-10 minutes every time I take a shower to clear all the insects from there. Otherwise, I rarely kill insects intentionally (for the purpose of killing them). When a mosquito is on my arm (they don't carry dangerous diseases where I am AFAIK), I try to shake or blow it away. I used to mind spiders quite a bit but nowadays I don't really mind them since 1) they catch insects 2) they quickly go back inside the walls and it would be silly to kill them before they do so because the insides of the walls are probably filled with all kinds of bugs anyway.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#24 Old 06-14-2006, 02:18 AM
Veggie Regular

not me, if its a skeeter ill prolly just blow it off, but thats about all, just last night while sitting under a tree i noticed a scary spider chilling on my shoulder, so i just let it be, in my experience they never bite me if i dont piss em off...

i can see no good reason to kill em at all.
#25 Old 06-14-2006, 03:21 AM
Banned

I don't kill arthropods unless they scare the **** out of me.

ebola
#26 Old 06-14-2006, 04:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnome Chomsky View Post

I don't kill arthropods unless they scare the **** out of me.

ebola

Ditto. And that goes for any bug/insect/arthropod. Call them what you will. I'm not up on my defnititions of what is what. I used to have an irrational fear, I am learning to deal with it and really getting better. If I can in anyway catch something without killing and letting it go outside, I do that. I have the cute little bug catcher from PETA and it works great. I will not feel guilty on the other hand, if one traps me and I'm cornered, and there's no way out. If it's a question of me or him, he's going down.
#27 Old 06-14-2006, 05:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post

Ditto. And that goes for any bug/insect/arthropod. Call them what you will. I'm not up on my defnititions of what is what. I used to have an irrational fear, I am learning to deal with it and really getting better. If I can in anyway catch something without killing and letting it go outside, I do that. I have the cute little bug catcher from PETA and it works great. I will not feel guilty on the other hand, if one traps me and I'm cornered, and there's no way out. If it's a question of me or him, he's going down.

what kind of situation is it when a BUG threatens your life so that you NEED to kill it? i have no idea since it NEVER comes close to that situation for me ever... maybe if i was in south america and a giant skeeter was trying to give me malaria... thats when i would REALLY feel cornered, but insects NEVER present that much danger here where i live... im still trying to get over my fear of bees, i dont kill em, but maybe someday i wont be too scared if one happens to fly by me or land on me and check me out.
#28 Old 06-14-2006, 05:24 AM
Veggie Regular

I love spiders, never kill them.. everyone in the house comes to me to let them outside. Flys are just shooed, don't really have a mosquito problem. Roaches on the other hand, we have them in near plague proportions. I have always had a roach phobia, but I am over coming it and mostly I just flick them away (always hated killing them.. or touching them for that matter) but I'm not against killing the roaches, just seems impossible, fumigation is not a real option with fish and a snake in the house.
#29 Old 06-14-2006, 06:55 AM
Beginner

I do my best not to kill any insects. Flies get shooed outside, spiders get caught and put outside, same goes for moths and things. I don't think we've ever had a bee come into our flat but we've had a wasp once or twice...I hate wasps but still try to catch them and put them outside. The only exception was the little beetles we had living in our flat...there were hundreds of the things and their numbers were just going to increase so I had to get out the bug spray. But basically, when I can (which is the majority of the time) bugs get caught and put outside.
#30 Old 06-14-2006, 07:05 AM

spiders in my house will most likely be given a name, and considered a "companion animal". if they have taken up residence in a unsafe location (shower, window,doorway) they will gently be rehomed to a more appropriate location, usually where the ants reside so that takes care of that problem.

flys get shooed outside

mosquitos die.

anything bigger than that the cat deals with.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page