To swat, or not to swat - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 06-14-2006, 07:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugsy View Post

what kind of situation is it when a BUG threatens your life so that you NEED to kill it? i have no idea since it NEVER comes close to that situation for me ever... maybe if i was in south america and a giant skeeter was trying to give me malaria... thats when i would REALLY feel cornered, but insects NEVER present that much danger here where i live... im still trying to get over my fear of bees, i dont kill em, but maybe someday i wont be too scared if one happens to fly by me or land on me and check me out.

Well, I was being somewhat dramatic (drama queen here) in an attempt to get across the fact that I really do have a fear. Bottom line is, I rarely kill them because I usually can catch them and let them go. But if my fear got the best of me then I probably would kill one and feel sorry for it. It's never done with reckless abandon and joy. i just can't say that I would never kill an insect/bug, etc.

As far as bees goes, I no longer run around screaming like a banchee woman when one comes near me. I am able to stand still, kind of hold my head and see where it goes. I do not think I can ever get to the point of having one land on me and then watch it while it checks me out. But then, it will depend on the type of bug. The only ones that really freak me out are spiders, (mostly daddy long legs) and centipedes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 06-14-2006, 07:38 AM
Veggie Regular

I have a huge fear of spiders and bees. HUGE. I don't care that it's irrational, most fears are. That doesn't change it. I will hyperventilate, literally, if I find a spider anywhere on my body. I freak. The absolute only thing I can think of is to get it off me as quickly as possible. If I freak out over a spider my husband generally kills it. He's not the catch and release type and, inconsistent or not, I can't plead much of a case for the little fellers. Bees generally aren't in my home so that's not an issue. We did have a HUGE nest of wasps take up residence in the overhang of our home last summer and they would literally attack whomever went out in the back yard so we called the exterminator to get rid of them. I would call the exterminator in a second for something like roaches or termites too. Sorry but I ain't living with them.

During the summer we tend to get ants so I just put everything in the fridge or in locktite containers and shoo them off. I wash the counters carefully before I make anything and we don't leave food out for long. Generally my cats eat the ants. Not sure why but I guess they must be a kitty delicacy or something. If it gets too bad we set out traps. Sorry but I can't have them crawling over my kids or myself. Nasty.

Flies I leave alone. I really don't care much about them.

Biting insects I try to shoo or repel with bug sprays. Honestly, I stay inside 99% of the time so I don't have to deal with bugs. I hate hate hate insects. Hate them. I do everything I can to avoid them. I'm even pretty scared of butterflies. lol I don't mind watching them from a distance but if one landed on me, I'd freak out. It's nothing to do with pretty or ugly, I just don't like insects. I don't want to live with them so I'd probably be pretty ok with just about any method of elimination.

That said, I don't want to room with a cow either honestly. Nor would I want a chicken in my home. I don't mind mice but I understand they're damaging and I'm not so fond of having them running free in my home. Kudos to anyone who would room with whatever animal wanders into their home but I'm not one of them. If it's damaging, it's going immediately. If it's just unwelcomed, it needs to stay out of the way.

That said, I don't go out of my way to kill most insects. My basement and garage are FILLED with spiders. So much so that I don't go down there unless I absolutely have to. Rarely do they come up here to the main living area, if they do, I consider that a direct violation of our peace treaty and I ask my husband to get rid of them. Sometimes he will carry the insect outside. Most of the time, I'm sure he kills them. I have to leave the room either way. I can't even see the spider moving or I'll freak out. I generally water my garden heavily before going into it. It causes all the bugs and spiders to scatter so I don't have any chance of having any jump on me or anything. I park my car in the middle of my driveway so I never have any bugs coming off the trees on it.

Yep it's extreme. lol

Mary
#33 Old 06-14-2006, 07:46 AM

mary, uhhh, if that's you in your avatar you need to get a wax sweetie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 06-14-2006, 07:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrpelle View Post

mary, uhhh, if that's you in your avatar you need to get a wax sweetie.

Nope. That's Jesse L. Martin. I sort of have a little crush on him. I got sick of seeing my face and wanted to change it. It was either him or my dog again. As cute as my dog is.....

Mary
#35 Old 06-14-2006, 08:47 AM
Ankle Biter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryC1999 View Post

I'm even pretty scared of butterflies. lol I don't mind watching them from a distance but if one landed on me, I'd freak out. Yep it's extreme. lol

Mary

Wow! I don't think I've ever met someone with quite so much of fear of bugs!

Even wee ladybugs and fireflies? Do your kids hold them in their hands?

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#36 Old 06-14-2006, 08:55 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm with troub. Anything that bites me or my pets gets instant death. Mainly mosquitoes and fleas. When it comes to mosquitoes, St. Louis encephalitis, West Nile virus. 'Nuff said.

Spiders are welcome because they generally make good neighbors, but when the webs get to be too much, they get swept up. The spiders scoot out of the way and start over in the same spot. We currently have at least one small one in a corner of each bathroom, and a larger one behind the toilet. I dunno what the heck they live on, but I presume they're doing good work. I know the tiny ones on the windowsill keep the ants out, and they're so small you'd never even notice them unless you look really close. They don't build webs, so they're never a problem.

Roaches aren't exactly welcome, but I try to shoo them outside rather than kill them. I don't have a big problem with other pests. I don't know what I'd do if I was absolutely overrun.

I don't use pesticides of any kind in my house. I try to focus on keeping the roaches out, and if too many start coming in, I think I will spray the least environmentally damaging insecticide I can find around the outside of the apartment.

And since the lawn question was raised in response to troub's post, I don't currently have a lawn or any control over how landscaping is handled at my apartment, but when I have a home of my own, I not only don't plan to mow the lawn, I don't even plan to HAVE a lawn! Natural landscaping all the way.
#37 Old 06-14-2006, 09:24 AM

Outside, I usually don't intentionally kill anything. Of course, when I'm turning my compost or gardening, some worms and stuff get hacked in half (not on purpose as I don't see them). But inside, it depends. Sometimes it's just an instant reaction/impulse to swat something. I am trying though, and was better last year at just scooping them up and throwing them outside.
#38 Old 06-14-2006, 10:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by troub View Post

The only animal that I would consider killing, or kill, is one that attacks me. This holds true to all beings in the Kingdom Animalia.

Same here.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#39 Old 06-14-2006, 12:23 PM
Veggie Regular

I try not to kill anything. I usually just ignore spiders in my apartment, etc.
#40 Old 06-14-2006, 12:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post

Wow! I don't think I've ever met someone with quite so much of fear of bugs!

Even wee ladybugs and fireflies? Do your kids hold them in their hands?

I was bit by a ladybug once. It flew up my pant leg (or crawled up). Bit me right by my knee. Little brat. I'm pretty much petrified of anything except flies. Regular flies, big horseflies and biting ones wig me out but your average fly doesn't scare me. My sister once held a praying mantis and I locked myself in the bathroom until everyone assured me they'd put it back outside (in my defense, I was 10 at the time).

I generally discourage my kids from holding bugs because they aren't gentle. I'm more afraid they'd kill with kindness then anything else.

I've never wanted harm to come to bugs though. I remember once when I was in third grade some boys pulled the legs off a spider. I cried the whole way home and when I told my mom why she said "Well that was mean but you don't even like spiders" and all I could think about was what does it matter if I like them or not? Just because I don't like them doesn't mean I shouldn't care if one is being tortured. Honestly, hearing those boys sticks with me to this day. It was literally a horrifying event to me. Shortly after we were married my husband and I were watching tv when a dragonfly landed on my arm. I totally freaked out, screaming and jumped up. I didn't even know for sure what it was. My husband, thinking he was helping me, jumped up and killed the dragonfly. I went hysterical, yelling that he shouldn't have killed it. My poor husband just sat there confused. I hate to see anything die, honestly, but I do have boundaries. If it's going to destroy my home, take over by number or hurt me or my family, it's gone. That simple. Otherwise as long as it stays away from me, I'll try to pretend like it doesn't exist.

Mary
#41 Old 06-14-2006, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugvet View Post

As I was eating dinner with my husband, he asked me an interesting question. We had the exterminator in this week to spray our house, and he (my husband) wondered how many vegetarians/vegans kill bugs. I thought this was a pretty interesting question.

Do you think it is okay to have pest control (for bugs) in your house? How many of you will swat at a fly, smack a mosquito that's on your arm biting you, swat a big, hairy spider that's on your wall with a magazine, etc...?

I won't kill any animal intentionally now. I believe it sends a negative reaction out and I don't want that kind of feeling in my life. Right now there are fruit flies in my kitchen, and one buzzing round my beer can as I write. As much as it is driving me mad I won't kill it. I have a bedroom full of clothes moths, I won't kill them anymore now. I believe in working on other ways to deal with what I see as a pest problem.

There are times when I am at work though and I kill many creatures by doing my job as a gardener. I don't mean to, and I think that is the main thing.
#42 Old 06-14-2006, 12:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Well, I'm still a fairly new vegan so I'm trying to figure out what my rules are for this kind of thing. Bugs like mosquitos, ticks, and flies do represent a health threat when they bite you or get in your food. I'm also a slapper: when I feel something on my arm, leg, neck, or face I smack it without thinking. While I've defeated many strands of hair this way I also kill a lot of bugs that wouldn't hurt me.

The other day some carpenter ants got into my room at one in the morning, on to my bed where I was trying to sleep. I predictibly freaked out and killed all of the ones in my room with malice of forethought. I think if it happens again I'm going to try to shoo them out instead.

So to answer your question, I do kill bugs but I'm trying to limit it.

And honey's not vegan.
#43 Old 06-14-2006, 12:53 PM
Beginner

Quote:

The only animal that I would consider killing, or kill, is one that attacks me. This holds true to all beings in the Kingdom Animalia.

I guess that would be why kids in my spanish class started calling me "bug girl"
#44 Old 06-14-2006, 01:44 PM
Veggie Regular

What I really don't get are the people who kill bugs that are outside in the outdoors minding their own business. Even patently harmless ones like grasshoppers and crickets.
#45 Old 06-14-2006, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesseract View Post

What I really don't get are the people who kill bugs that are outside in the outdoors minding their own business. Even patently harmless ones like grasshoppers and crickets.

It makes me sick. Its like a power trip. I was at a BBQ and a guy just randomly started killing the moths because they were "ugly".
#46 Old 06-14-2006, 03:38 PM
Banned

I would never kill or harm an insect intentionally, and I either remove insects to the outside, or get my dad too depending on what they are. A life is a life. No matter how tiny the animal is. They're all equal and deserving of life, in my eyes.
#47 Old 06-14-2006, 03:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Sometimes I kill them instinctively -- especially moths. They freak me out. But most times I just shoo them out. It depends on how guilty I'm feeling that day.
#48 Old 06-14-2006, 11:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrpelle View Post

spiders in my house will most likely be given a name, and considered a "companion animal". if they have taken up residence in a unsafe location (shower, window,doorway) they will gently be rehomed to a more appropriate location, usually where the ants reside so that takes care of that problem.

flys get shooed outside

mosquitos die.

anything bigger than that the cat deals with.

Aw... I name my spiders!! (Well, any creature that hangs out long enough) Actually, my sister killed one of them one day last year and he stayed stuck on the wall, so every morning when I walked down the stairs I'd say "Hello, Fred!" I don't know if it was actually Fred or not, but it didn't really matter - boy, it made her MAD!
#49 Old 06-14-2006, 11:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptoveggie View Post

Well, I'm still a fairly new vegan so I'm trying to figure out what my rules are for this kind of thing. Bugs like mosquitos, ticks, and flies do represent a health threat when they bite you or get in your food. I'm also a slapper: when I feel something on my arm, leg, neck, or face I smack it without thinking. While I've defeated many strands of hair this way I also kill a lot of bugs that wouldn't hurt me.

The other day some carpenter ants got into my room at one in the morning, on to my bed where I was trying to sleep. I predictibly freaked out and killed all of the ones in my room with malice of forethought. I think if it happens again I'm going to try to shoo them out instead.

So to answer your question, I do kill bugs but I'm trying to limit it.

And honey's not vegan.

There are no rules that link veganism and having compassion for creatures other than other animals, I'm noticing

I think anyone who considers him/herself vegan, for reasons other than health, should not draw the line of compassion at animals. I think that if you change your lifestyle and diet and attitude because you believe people should be more compassionate toward animals, then bugs, insects - everything - should be treated with that same compassion.

Dogs are no more important to Mother Earth than spiders are, and I don't think any vegan should think they are either...

I'm glad to hear you're trying not to kill insects Just like it takes some re-training and some effort - and some restraint - to go vegan, it takes the same amount of work to stop murdering other innocent creatures. At least dogs and cows, etc. have some voice through some of us... insects and bugs, etc. do not
#50 Old 06-14-2006, 11:15 PM
Veggie Regular

bugs are animals

;o)
#51 Old 06-14-2006, 11:21 PM
Veggie Regular

and here I thought they were a subspecies of the fish tree.
#52 Old 06-15-2006, 01:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Most spiders are welcome in my home however a few of them get squished on sight such as the 3 black widows I have squished this year and the one brown recluse.

They are all given insta death.

Ants also must die, the ones outside I couldcare less about but this is my house, mine and you little argentine ants are not welcomed! ( though they are darn hard to get rid of!)

Occasionaly these big bugs that live in the oak tree's will get in, they are commonaly called tree roaches, they scurry about and give the cats something to chase for hours, bug comes in, cat kills bug as is the natural order of things.

Other bus I can not say I have had issue with but how I react to them would be determined by what they were.

I show nomercy to fire ants or anything eating my garden plants but bugs minding thier own selves that are harmless are welcome to stay.
#53 Old 06-15-2006, 03:02 AM
Veggie Regular

I would never kill anyone un-necessarily, even insects, the only insects I have purposely killed since turning vegan are fleas on my cats, which I do feel bad about but unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any other way and it wouldn't be fair to let my cats suffer due to my beliefs.

"Through the centuries, we have projected onto the wolf the qualities we most despise and fear in ourselves." ~ Barry Lopez.
#54 Old 06-15-2006, 09:51 AM

wow, i'm *really* surprised that so many veg*ns have no problem killing bugs no flame intended or implied, i'm just....surprised.

i've never been able to kill anything intentionally, even before i knew what a vegetarian was. and now, i'm glad. i'll admit to being terrified of bees (i'm working on it!) only b/c when my dad was my age he got stung & almost died, despite having been stung in the past with no problems. i was a little kid at the time, & *very* traumatized by it. and of course i'm scared i could have a reaction as well. but still, bees get shooed outside by a *very* tense me.

my omni husband likes to kill bugs. not in a sadistic way, but in a 'glad to be rid of them' kind of way. i'm working on getting him to let them outside, but i will sometimes turn my back on him killing flies when they get inside, b/c we have house bunnies, and one is old & partially disabled, and a strong candidate for fly strike (i won't go into details...google it if you're interested. but not while you're eating! and especially not if you're eating rice....

i honestly never thought about the lawn mowing thing as it pertains to bugs. i do try to convince the hub to leave as much of our property (we have 15 acres) natural as possible, b/c it's shelter for other wildlife.
#55 Old 06-15-2006, 10:27 AM
Veggie Regular

I kill mosquitoes without a problem, but I leave other insects alone. Except for spiders, which I relocate outside with my katchabug.
#56 Old 06-15-2006, 01:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

bugs are animals

;o)

I'm no good at all the scientific categories and all that, but I thought they were categorized seperately?

Either way, they should be treated equally regardless, so I won't argue
#57 Old 06-15-2006, 02:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Animalia / Plantae / Fungi / Protista / Monera
#58 Old 06-15-2006, 02:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Okay, so I stunk at science in school

So I guess that's even more of a reason to treat a beetle the same as a dog! No excuses, everyone!!! It also makes me wonder why, if we (humans) are in the same category as beetles and dogs, we still feel that humans are more important... hmm.

Make in a mid-summer resolution to stop killing your insect brothers and sisters!?
#59 Old 06-15-2006, 02:47 PM
Veggie Regular

<== kills insects, leaves non-lethal spiders alone
#60 Old 06-15-2006, 03:22 PM
Veggie Regular

I tend to only kill bugs when they are a threat, such as scorpions, wasps, or kissing bugs in the house. Otherwise we let them live in the house or try to put them outside. I have to admit I sometimes do swat bugs even when they aren't a threat but merely a nuisance.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page