killing [feelings towards killing animals v. killing humans] - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-10-2006, 06:09 AM
Banned

You know how most people don't want to kill other people? It isn't as if they don't want to get arrested and go to jail for murder; they really don't want to kill other people. Sure, they would consider killing someone if they needed to do so in order to protect themselves from a murderous attack by said person, but, even then -- they want to give said person every chance possible, to live. Some people don't even want to kill people who have shown that they are the exceptions to this -- people who have obviously murdered several people, and seem to like killing people. They want to keep such people out of their hair, in prison -- but they don't want to have to kill them or physically injure them either. Well -- I feel the same way about animals.

Now, this doesn't mean I want to live with animals. Generally the animals that people keep as companions -- they don't bathe unless you bath them. They have all kinds of inconsiderate manners. I don't want to live with that -- any more than I want to live with humans who don't bathe, or who act like animal. But I certainly don't want to kill any such animal unnecessarily. It just goes agains my grain. I don't want to hurt them either.

That is why I have a vegan diet, and live vegan.

Not because I have any special love for animals that goes beyond how I feel about humans. Most people confine this feeling to other humans, I simply extend my feelings in this regard, to other animals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-10-2006, 06:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Welcome to VB!
#3 Old 06-10-2006, 06:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Well yeah, one doesn't really have to be an "animal lover" to want to be veg*n or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenna View Post

Welcome to VB!

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-10-2006, 09:01 AM
Banned

I do consider myself to be an "animal lover." I don't love animals any less than I love humans. What I don't love is being roomates with an animal. Their living habits are crude, and inconsiderate. That's right, they don't have the ability to be considerate. So?
#5 Old 06-10-2006, 10:42 AM
Banned

yeah... i like animals at about the same level as i like people- and that tends to be on occasion, for short periods of time, or from a relative distance.

i don't want to kill either of them, but both generally tend to do my head in, lol.

i can relate.
#6 Old 06-10-2006, 01:19 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm about as much of a city girl as you can get. Nature is creepy. I like cats, that's about it (as far as living with animals goes).

But I don't like killing either. Humans, animals, bugs, criminals, fetuses, you name it. Killing = teh suck.
#7 Old 06-10-2006, 01:30 PM
Veggie Regular

great post soilman and yea, welcome to VB!
#8 Old 06-10-2006, 01:34 PM
Veggie Regular

makes perfect sence.
#9 Old 06-10-2006, 02:08 PM

here here!! if you can get a meat eater to sit through the slaughter house videos without them feeling sick (honestly) you know you've got a problem!!
#10 Old 06-10-2006, 02:10 PM
Veggie Regular

I agree you don't have to be a massive animal fan to be vegan. I am, I work with horses and cats, and sometimes I prefer the company of a horse to a person, simply because they don't lie, they don't decieve, all they want is to please you. Very refreshing.
#11 Old 06-10-2006, 02:26 PM
Veggie Regular

I am an animal lover personally, but I hear what you're saying, soilman. Good post.
#12 Old 06-10-2006, 04:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by soilman View Post

I do consider myself to be an "animal lover." I don't love animals any less than I love humans. What I don't love is being roomates with an animal.

What is stereotypically meant by "animal lover" is someone who speaks in baby talk at them and wants to spend time with them a lot etc.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#13 Old 06-10-2006, 08:21 PM
Beginner

I don't get it. I love my dog. Yes, he is rude, has no manners and is dirty if I don't bathe him, but I LOVE him. I grew up with dogs and can't imagine not having one. In fact, when I go to someone's house and they don't have a pet, I often think it feels strange to me. So, I guess it all depends on your personal point of view. Of course, I respect your opinion.
#14 Old 06-10-2006, 09:49 PM
Veggie Regular

I thought this thread was going to be about people support euthanizing sick animals but don't support euthanizing sick humans.
#15 Old 06-11-2006, 02:59 PM
Veggie Regular

I agree with the whole killing goes against the grain regarding both humans and animals.
#16 Old 06-11-2006, 05:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethos View Post

here here!! if you can get a meat eater to sit through the slaughter house videos without them feeling sick (honestly) you know you've got a problem!!

when I was in highschool I did a report on vegetarianism for my foods class and showed meet your meat. kids were laughing. I started crying and had to leave the room.
#17 Old 06-11-2006, 06:47 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElliottsMom View Post

when I was in highschool I did a report on vegetarianism for my foods class and showed meet your meat. kids were laughing. I started crying and had to leave the room.

That is horrible! I think I would have been traumatized. How sad. I'm sorry that you had to be put through that. I can understand that people might not feel bad about seeing animals be slaughtered, but I can't understand why there would be any reason to laugh. That's just sick!
#18 Old 06-12-2006, 12:53 AM
Veggie Regular

An interesting point. I often get the feeling that some people here are more interested in animals than they are in people. I agree that it does make sense to hold animals and humans in much the same regard as far as their right to avoid pain, suffering, and unecessary death.

I have to say though, I'm a complete animal freak. I love spending as much time as I possibly can with any animal I can find. I prefer their company to humans most of the time. They just make me so freakin happy. And looking after them is so rewarding, no matter how stinky and inconsiderate they are.

That's my opinion, and I respect yours soilman.

In fact I have to say that I'm impressed that you're vegan when you don't have any crazy emotional attachment to animals, it shows a logical and well thought through position. I'm sure it must be easier to stick to not eating animals when the idea of it makes you sick, rather than that you know that it's just not right.
#19 Old 06-12-2006, 01:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by soilman View Post

I do consider myself to be an "animal lover." I don't love animals any less than I love humans. What I don't love is being roomates with an animal. Their living habits are crude, and inconsiderate. That's right, they don't have the ability to be considerate. So?

There are many many people out there like this... maybe you've been lucky enough not to have met them yet I consider those humans to be worse than any animal - animals are not aware of our societal standards and ettiquette, so how can we expect them to conform to them? Plenty humans are aware, however, and simply choose not to be considerate/etc.....
#20 Old 06-12-2006, 07:23 AM
Banned

"animals are not aware of our societal standards and ettiquette, so how can we expect them to conform to them"

Who said anything about expecting them to conform to our standards of consideration for others and cleanliness? It is precisely because we can expect them to not learn such things (unless we train them step by step, detail by detail, in gruelingly time-consuming fashion, and keep reinforcing it thruout their whole lives), that they are a pain in the ass to live under the same roof with.

It isn't as if not bringing them inside our houses with us is a punishment for their refusal to conform. We don't bring them inside our houses because they aren't suited for living in our houses with us. We don't large amounts of volatile toxic solvents indoors with us either. We don't keep them in separate storage areas outside our living space, because they are aware that we don't like it when they evaporate and permeate our air, and refuse to stay in their containers. We keep them in separate storage areas outside our living space because they are unaware that we don't like it when they evaporate and permeate our air, because they are unable to stay in their containers.

While very young children don't conform to our standards of consideration and cleanliness either, we can expect nearly all children to learn all these things by themselves, with just occasionally prodding and guidance by adults, and be fully conversant with all the basics by age 8. We can expect animals not to (without lots of work as described above).
#21 Old 06-12-2006, 12:01 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

I usually find animals to be pleasant company, despite their manners. I have to watch my two rabbits to make sure they don't chew something they're not supposed to, and to make sure they use their litterbox when they're out of their cages. But all my animals have been adopted from shelters, and I agree they tend to be messy housemates. They also tie me down- I can't just take off and do something without making arrangements for their care.

So even though I enjoy their company and genuinely love animals, I don't think I would have any "pets" either if it weren't for the fact that some of them need homes.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page