Tips needed on not harassing meat eaters! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-08-2006, 02:45 PM
Beginner

I find it very hard not to lecture meat eaters on what eating meat really involves... I don't want to be annoying to be around, but I find it hard to not lecture my friends/non veggie members of my family about it! How do you combat this? Any suggestions?

"Be the change you wish to see in the world" ~ Mahatma Gandhi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-08-2006, 02:49 PM
Veggie Regular

I just try to avoid the subject of food. when it is brought up I usually just zone out, or smile and nod while biting my tongue.
#3 Old 06-08-2006, 02:52 PM

just let them know that if they want to talk about it or want any info to come to you...if you preach too much, people tune you out anyway...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-08-2006, 02:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Try to think of it as religion...how would you feel if someone lectured you about Jesus and saying you're going to hell? Remember, being negative turns omnies OFF. To make them like the concept of being vegetarian, you've got to show a positive friendly view of it.
#5 Old 06-08-2006, 03:09 PM
Veggie Regular

^^^^ i did this yesterday. mentioned how since being vegitarian then vegan i've lost weight and had more energy. works alot better around most females. Or mention how cheap meals are without meat. That way you're showing veg*nism in a positive way.
#6 Old 06-08-2006, 03:16 PM

I always think of this in the back of my mind: Information is easier swallowed when not being shoved down the throat.

Tell if they ask but don't preach. No one likes a converted _____ (fill in the blank) that wants to preach the evils of what they used to do.
#7 Old 06-08-2006, 03:19 PM
Veggie Regular

I try not to just bring it up out of the blue, but I don't hide the fact that I am either, if it is necessary for me to say I am, or to find out what is in something. When people ask me why I am vegetarian, (of course it depends on the circumstances, their tone, etc.) I tell them exactly why I am. And I don't sugarcoat things either, regardless of if people are eating or not.

I have to admit, there is a certain amount of pleasure I get from mentioning the unethicality of factory farming while people are eating meat. Not that I go way into it or anything, I really don't.
#8 Old 06-08-2006, 03:45 PM
Veggie Regular

I never bring it up myself. If one of the meat eaters decides to stay something about how I'm eating, I will probably give them a mouthful. Unless they did so politely - sometimes they are genuinely interested. I was talking to a girl who's on the same course as me yesterday and she was asking me questions about meat and dairy replacements, how they tasted, how you cooked them, that sort of thing. I just remind myself that that girl went away not annoyed or feeling that her diet was attacked, but instead knowing more about veganism and what we eat.
#9 Old 06-08-2006, 05:03 PM
Veggie Regular

It's a self-correcting problem. The more you lecture, the fewer non-veg friends you have, so the less you'll have to lecture.
#10 Old 06-08-2006, 05:24 PM
Beginner

Thanks guys, that really helped, I would hate to think of myself as a preacher, because like bluegrrrl said that just makes people switch off. it's just when I feel so strongly about something and hear others saying things like 'meat is essential as part of a balanced diet' I want to correct them. I don't go out of my way to start a conversation on vegetarianism though.

Those tips are very helpful, so thanks guys!

#11 Old 06-08-2006, 06:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medesha View Post

It's a self-correcting problem. The more you lecture, the fewer non-veg friends you have, so the less you'll have to lecture.

lol thats awesome.
#12 Old 06-08-2006, 08:41 PM
Veggie Regular

remember that you were once them. unless you've been veg your whole life. also, as someone on here says, catch more flies with honey (or agave nectar if you don't use honey)
#13 Old 06-08-2006, 09:29 PM
Beginner

You are all so right. I must use some of these tips.

#14 Old 06-08-2006, 09:29 PM

Don't like preachy people, so I would never do it. Well unless they ask, that is different. Otherwise I will keep my mouth
#15 Old 06-09-2006, 01:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Depending on the crowd, at times I also use the 'never bring it up first' method. Its not that I don't want people to know, but sometimes I know that if it comes out that I am a vegetarian, I will invariably end up spending the rest of the night defending myself about it (like I said, it really depends on the crowd). I think we have all had times when the energy to explain why we are a vegetarian for the nth time just isn't there.
#16 Old 06-09-2006, 01:50 PM
Veggie Regular

I never say anything unless asked either. After I leave the people, I lecture the car/bike all the way home. I have friend that I call Meatatarians behind their backs because they can't seem to ever eat without having some meat/dairy/eggs... I feel very sad for them (btw they're all obese).... Maybe someday they'll learn their lessons and eat much better both for their health and for the environment and animals......
#17 Old 06-09-2006, 03:17 PM

Yeah, but going veg doesn't automatically give anyone a pass to the skinny club either (this is aimed toward "btw they're all obese) .
#18 Old 06-09-2006, 03:24 PM
Veggie Regular

I try to slip the fact that I'm a vegetarian into random conversations to invite people to ask about it, and if they take the bait, then I'll talk about it in a nice way and push the positives as much as I can, but if they don't take the bait, then I don't push it.
#19 Old 06-09-2006, 03:34 PM
Banned

All I ever say if someone says you need meat to live is, "well, i've been vegetarian for many years, and I've never felt happier or healthier. It works for me." That last part, "it works for me", puts the focus on yourself, and doesn't judge.
#20 Old 06-09-2006, 07:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganTofu*ker View Post

catch more flies with honey (or agave nectar if you don't use honey)

That's cute
#21 Old 06-09-2006, 08:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstutzma View Post

All I ever say if someone says you need meat to live is, "well, i've been vegetarian for many years, and I've never felt happier or healthier. It works for me." That last part, "it works for me", puts the focus on yourself, and doesn't judge.

I say the same thing (but vegan ) and it either stirs interest or they change the subject and I just drop it

Often when people are eating and find out I am vegan and ask questions, I simply tell them that I prefer not to discuss such things while eating but I'd be happy to discuss it later or email them some information if they are realy interested. That respectful approach has served me well, and many people are made more comfortable than if I had started speaking up about my beliefs as they are eating animals The bonus is that I often get to email or discuss these things in depth at a later date when it's a more appropriate time and they are much more open to what I have to share that way

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#22 Old 06-10-2006, 08:11 PM
Beginner

I put a bug in one of my coworkers ears (not literally!) when I dropped an issue of the Vegetarian Times on the lunchroom table. VT is a nice, friendly magazine, and it was proclaiming good summer recipes (you know, light, not heavy, etc...), buto n the inside there was a small, but concise article on the fishing business. She came up to me later and said she had photocopied not just the recipes (which she said looked delicious!) but the fhishing article, the article on the animal experimentation courses at a college, and the health benefits of vegetarianism! I almost jumped for joy! Leave a magazine around. Curiosity, in some form or another, brought almost all of us all to this I would think.
#23 Old 06-10-2006, 10:57 PM
Banned

I usually use something like " hey, this is a party. I don't feel like arguing about what we eat. Do you play guitar?"
#24 Old 06-11-2006, 07:42 AM
Veggie Regular

I only talk about my reasons if asked, and try not to do so when eating a meal with the person. And I don't make fun of their food unless they make fun of mine first.
#25 Old 06-11-2006, 08:12 AM
Veggie Regular

I always think if you don't want to be doing something (ie annoying people with your lecturing), you should stop. There's really no other advice to give than just control your impulses....discuss vegetarianism when asked or when people are genuinely interested. Anything else is like throwing pearls to swine.

B
#26 Old 06-11-2006, 01:30 PM
Beginner

I never start a meat-bashing debate unless someone pulls a weird face when they learn I'm veggie (say, by my choice of meal or something) and says "WHY?" Like someone here said, it can take a lot of energy to explain your reasons to everyone who asks.

All these tips are very helpful!

#27 Old 06-11-2006, 01:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesseract View Post

I try to slip the fact that I'm a vegetarian into random conversations to invite people to ask about it, and if they take the bait, then I'll talk about it in a nice way and push the positives as much as I can, but if they don't take the bait, then I don't push it.

I do the same thing tess!

It's amazing how many people are truly interested.

With people I know better, family, friends and co-workers, I just speak passionately about all the new amazing tastes I've discovered, and bring in lots of food for people to try. They can all see that I am healthy and happy and really enjoy food. The best part is having people realise that veg*nism is a diet of abundance, not deprivation!

When I find out interesting and potentialy important health/environmental information, then I try to share it with others who I know are interested- but in front of people who are oblivious. Often times the person becomes interested in we are discussing, but it doesn't come across as preachy since they are just overhearing a discussion.

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#28 Old 06-12-2006, 01:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by napalmtheory View Post

I put a bug in one of my coworkers ears (not literally!) when I dropped an issue of the Vegetarian Times on the lunchroom table. VT is a nice, friendly magazine, and it was proclaiming good summer recipes (you know, light, not heavy, etc...), buto n the inside there was a small, but concise article on the fishing business. She came up to me later and said she had photocopied not just the recipes (which she said looked delicious!) but the fhishing article, the article on the animal experimentation courses at a college, and the health benefits of vegetarianism! I almost jumped for joy! Leave a magazine around. Curiosity, in some form or another, brought almost all of us all to this I would think.

That's a super idea!!!

Quote:
I find it very hard not to lecture meat eaters on what eating meat really involves... I don't want to be annoying to be around, but I find it hard to not lecture my friends/non veggie members of my family about it! How do you combat this? Any suggestions?

I find this a tough issue too Helen. One part of me thinks "how can I sit idly by while animals are being tortured, killed and mutilated for no reason" -- the other part of me says, like others have said here, "how would I feel if someone was yelling at me trying to convert me to something".

So you have to find a balance and figure out how to reach your goal as quickly as possible. I'm assuming that your goal is to try to convert as many people around you to veg*nism as possible. I think it is true that you will not reach your goal very quickly at all if you lecture people at every opportunity. With my own family and friends I'm approaching those who will be most likely to be receptive to discussing the issue. Then I try to discuss the issue on their terms whether that is biblical, health, or that basic compassion towards animals that most people have.

I've got my one brother (and consequently his wife and three children) to eliminate land animals from his diet. Now that a year has gone by I'll see if he's receptive to talking about fish. With my other brother I have to be more careful and I've sent him a video but I'm not sure if he watched it. I've got a new tactic I might use on him but I have to make sure I don't cause a rift in the family over this. But I don't think that'll be a problem because I'm very diplomatic about it all.
#29 Old 06-12-2006, 01:45 PM

in response to the OP, there is a time and a place. I think you will klnow the difference. At the table, not the time. Later on when someone asks "well, why didnt you eat it?" then i think its appropritate to give an abbreviated version of the reason like " Well, i choose to boycott the things i dont support, like the treatment of animals for food and animal products. " or whatever. If they are genuinely intereted i think its totally ok to tell them all the gross details, they did ask, and kept asking, right? Who knows, you might makwe them consider veg*nism , and wouldnt that be awesome? though it is a gradual process , so you might want to be gentle.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page