Preparing for Hurricane Season - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-04-2006, 09:06 AM
Veggie Regular

OK y'all, for those of us who live in hurricane zones, it's that time again! That means pretty much everyone on the Gulf Coast or East Coast, from the Rio Grande up to New York City, and maybe even a little farther north.

Do you have your supplies ready? Have a family contact plan if you need to evacuate? Here are some Red Cross links to help you get prepared:

http://www.redcross.org/services/pre...0_239_,00.html

http://www.redcross.org/services/pre...,0_91_,00.html

But the real reason I'm posting this is because I want some ideas for portable, non-perishable veg*n food that can be eaten without resort to electricity or gas. So far, I've got:

Crackers (several kinds)

Peanut butter

Single-serve soymilk

Single serve fruit juice

Nuts

Luna bars/Larabars/Clif bars

Fruit leather and/or canned fruit

Canned beans

Canned veggies (or dehydrated veggies?)

I want some hummus that can be stored at room temp, but the one I got last year (Fantastic Foods) was so bad we didn't want to eat it even when we were using our emegency supplies after Rita.

Are there some dry mixes that you can mix up without hot water to make some kind of decent eating-- maybe tabouli mix...

I want to have enough different foods so that we could eat without electricity for several days. What else would you add?

Another tip I learned last year was to fill up some random containers with water ahead of time and freeze them. When the power goes out, move some of them into the fridge and leave some in the freezer for an instant icebox. Also, you can clean the bathtub really well and fill it up with water at the last minute. You can use that water for washing, flushing, and drinking if you really need it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-04-2006, 09:12 AM
Veggie Regular

^^ Very good suggestions/list! The only food item I would add is canned soup and chili. I'd add a bottle of B-12 and a container of baby wipes to any supplies you may have

I'd also like to add that if you aren't currently CPR/First Aid certified, now's the time to get it done. Spend the day in class, pay the small fee (some areas even have free classes) and potentially save a life!

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#3 Old 06-04-2006, 09:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Oh-- cereal! That's a good one; I'll probably get a couple of different kinds. Generic Fruity Pebbles for him, something a little healthier for me.

Here's what's in my personal evac kit (this is all stored in a nylon duffel bag in the closet):

Shorts

T-shirts

Underwear

Athletic slide shoes

Feminine hygiene supplies

A pair of ultralight thermal blankets (the kind that come in a teeny little package)

Rain ponchos

Add: Several towels and washcloths

disinfectant wipes

dish cleaner wipes

garbage bags

Freezer bags

paper/plastic plates, bowls, utensils

Charmin to go

Baby wipes

duct tape

Leatherman tool

first aid kit with basic drugs, bandages, etc.

several flashlights (batteries checked)

am/fm radio (battieries checked)

waterproof matches

couple of instant litterboxes for the cats

canned cat food (kept in a separate box in the kitchen)

And then all of our food and bottled water, stored in a separate waterproof box. Plus multivitamins with B12 (thanks, *AHIMSA*).

What I still need:

List of family contacts kept in a waterproof container

Fingertip tooth cleaners

Soap for body/hair

bottle of bleach

Maybe better shoes. I may just take my rain/snow boots and store them with the emergency stuff for the summer.

None of my family takes any special medication (just vitamins), so that's not an issue for us, but if you do take special medications, don't forget them!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-04-2006, 09:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Yeah! Such good lists, thanks for posting!!!

I've also started on my pet's emergency kits as well, I so hope that mother nature will give us all a break this year, last year was so bad, especially for those on the Gulf Coast!

Michelle in N.Florida

Edited to add: Instant oatmeal would also be a good thing to have on hand, especially for the kiddos!
#5 Old 06-04-2006, 10:09 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by *AHIMSA* View Post

The only food item I would add is canned soup and chili.

I'm not so sure I could get into eating canned chili at room temp unless I were truly starving, but while rooting through my pantry, I realized that a can of black beans with jalapenos + a can of diced tomatoes with lime juice and cilantro would probably make a very serviceable room temp supper when combined with corn chips or tortillas.
#6 Old 06-04-2006, 10:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesseract View Post

I'm not so sure I could get into eating canned chili at room temp unless I were truly starving, but while rooting through my pantry, I realized that a can of black beans with jalapenos + a can of diced tomatoes with lime juice and cilantro would probably make a very serviceable room temp supper when combined with corn chips or tortillas.

I guess while I am very selective about things being STRICTLY vegan, I am one of the least picky people when it comes to eating good, healthy vegan food! I will eat *anything* that is good and vegan, be it hot, cold or at room temperature. I often eat chili or refried beans, right out of the can!

Anyway, I was suggesting it specifically because it's a great source of nutrition, not because it's delicious, and when in a crisis, good nutrition can be a very important thing

Oh, and the combo you listed with black beans etc. above works great with just a can of corn too, on its own

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#7 Old 06-04-2006, 11:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Yes we're ready. Category 1-2 we normally stay but 3 and up I'm outta here. I have watched them roll in before, with the angry ocean, mother nature is incredible.
#8 Old 06-04-2006, 12:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Tess, great lists!

The feminine hygiene supplies may seem like a little thing but when my sister had to evacuate with Katrina (they were actually quite far away and not really affected) she discovered she needed these supplies and not a single person at the shelter they were at had anything... she drove to four neighborhood markets and they had been cleaned out of EVERYTHING as well... she was MISERABLE for three days!

Thank God that's her worst story about the whole Katrina event though.
#9 Old 06-04-2006, 02:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by *AHIMSA* View Post

Oh, and the combo you listed with black beans etc. above works great with just a can of corn too, on its own

Oh, canned corn! My mom has an entire flat of it, she might let me borrow a few cans.

We're far enough away from the coast that we're outside the mandatory evac zone, and the Gulf currents are such that it's all but impossible for a Cat 5 to hit Houston at full strength, plus our building is well sheltered from wind and has a creek out back handled Allison in 2001 without overtopping its banks. So we'll be riding out whatever hits, which means we need to prepare primarily to shelter in place for several days without electricity and possibly without clean water.
#10 Old 06-04-2006, 09:57 PM
Veggie Regular

I am a disaster relief and evacuation worker, so if anyone has any specific questions, I can do my best to answer them from a somewhat educated point of view.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned MREs yet. MREs come in 4 vegetarian varieties that I know of, plus many more vegetarian side dishes and snacks in the meat entree packs. They aren't very good for vegans though there are some vegan snacks and side dishes, and one entree that might be vegan (I haven't read the ingredients). Humanitarian Daily Rations are entirely vegan, but they are much harder to find and purchase, and a lot more expensive.

Unless you just can't afford MREs, in my opinion there is no other food really worth having on hand for evacuating or waiting out a storm. MREs have a shelf life of a decade or more, contain toilet paper, plastic spoons, water resistant matches, and laxative gum, are inpenetrable by water, taste pretty good, contain 1200 to 1500 balanced calories in one meal, and are self-heating. You just need water to activate the heating pouch. *Remember, DO NOT use a propane stove in an enclosed space.* There's nothing like a hot meal when you're sitting in evacuation traffic and haven't slept in 30 hours.

I had cases and cases of MREs that were my rations when I worked for FEMA last year, and I had my husband come down in his truck to Opelousas, LA where I was stationed and pick them up and take them back to Dallas. But if you don't have a friend or family member with FEMA or the military, you can order them for $3 to $6 per complete meal and less for individual dishes and snacks. Just Google MRE.

Of course this should really go for all year round, but since it is now officially hurricane season, ALWAYS keep your gas tank full. Fill up once or twice a week, even if it's just topping off. Ice, water, and gas are the first three things to run out in an emergency situation and are the most difficult to replenish. The next tip I am going to put in all caps as I feel it is extremely important.

IF YOU ARE EVACUATING, ALWAYS CARRY EXTRA GAS WITH YOU.

I'll put it this way: if you're carrying gas, there is a very slight chance that your car could explode or you could pass out from fumes. However, in an evacuation situation, it is almost 100% certain that you WILL run out of gas and the gas stations will too, and you will be stranded in a potentially dangerous situation. Last year, two disabled people whom I was evacuating almost died because I did not bring gas with me and we were stranded for 13 hours. That's how I know.
#11 Old 06-04-2006, 09:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Thank you for posting all that stuff about MREs. I had no idea they were so very handy. And they sound like a great deal.
#12 Old 06-04-2006, 10:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Wow, thanks for the list Tesseract... I'm new the hurricane area, and I'd never even thought to put away food, let alone the right kinds of food!
#13 Old 06-04-2006, 10:08 PM
Veggie Regular

How about some books or other forms of entertainment? Don't want you all going crazy from boredom. Oh and some basic sewing supplies could come in handy in more ways than one.

Glad I live in Illinois.

~Wonder
#14 Old 06-04-2006, 10:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Wonder View Post

Glad I live in Illinois.

~Wonder

Excellent, so we'll stay with you then.
#15 Old 06-04-2006, 10:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Thank you for posting all that stuff about MREs. I had no idea they were so very handy. And they sound like a great deal.

Actually, I discovered not everyone is so high on MRE's:

http://www.vegparadise.com/news31.html

But the soldiers seem to like them:

http://www.seabeecook.com/today/news/cook0107.htm
#16 Old 06-04-2006, 11:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSiren View Post

Excellent, so we'll stay with you then.

My futon folds out into a full sized bed
#17 Old 06-05-2006, 12:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Actually, I discovered not everyone is so high on MRE's:

http://www.vegparadise.com/news31.html

But the soldiers seem to like them:

http://www.seabeecook.com/today/news/cook0107.htm

I've read a lot about them, including those two pages. The first one is outdated. Two of those menu items are no longer carried- the pasta with alfredo sauce and the bean and rice burrito. Also, they said that a package of 24 MREs has maybe one vegetarian meal. Very not true. MREs are not packaged at random. They come in heavy-duty cardboard boxes in sets of 12,and every single box has 4 vegetarian MREs in it. In fact, the menus are numbered and you can look on the outside of a case and see what menu numbers are included in the case. I know because I walked all over my FEMA camp with the meat entrees from my cases, trading for vegetarian ones.

I don't disagree with the page on the quality of the food. It isn't much to look at, and if you are used to fresh, gourmet whole foods, it will be a change for you. The quality of MRE food is no better and no worse than the quality of any other packaged or canned food. It definitely doesn't taste like crap, but it's not something you'd want to eat every day.

I guess the point is that no, it's not the greatest food in the world- no food really is. But it'll certainly keep you alive when you really, really need it to.
#18 Old 06-05-2006, 08:12 AM
Veggie Regular

Wow, I feel really fortunate to be here in the middle of the continent.
#19 Old 06-06-2006, 04:53 AM

This Thread Is A Godsend
#20 Old 06-06-2006, 04:56 AM

This Thread Is A Godsend

I am new here, and i live 30 mins from New Orleans, and needless to say, everyone is freaked. But more so myself because if i have to live off of MRE's for 2 weeks again, this time around, being vegan, i cant eat the vegetarian ones!

(I ate cheese tortellini, stuffed manicotti, veggie burgers and side dishes over and over and over...) This is all good advice, when i come up with some, i'll contribute.

ETA:

the manicotti is WRETCHED, patty is ok, tortellini is ok. The rices are really good, obviously the peanut butter and jelly is good too. In a real emergency situation you get MRE's free... we still have 3 boxes of them Also they are good when hiking.
#21 Old 06-06-2006, 09:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganLoveShark View Post

This Thread Is A Godsend

the manicotti is WRETCHED, patty is ok, tortellini is ok. The rices are really good, obviously the peanut butter and jelly is good too. In a real emergency situation you get MRE's free... we still have 3 boxes of them Also they are good when hiking.

I LOVE the veggie patty...I wish I could buy it at the store for cheaper than an MRE! I agree with you about the manicotti though if you use all the Tabasco and the seasoning packet it's a little better.

I wish it were easier/cheaper to get HDRs, but they only made them for a limited time and for the Middle East. They're "suitable for all cultures", meaning for one that they're vegan.

Edited: PS, where do you live, I'm curious? I'm leaving tomorrow for Mississippi and we'll be going over the north side of Pontchartrain. Are you from down there? I love the South (aside from the occassional disapproval of my diet)...I'm thinking about moving to New Orleans.
#22 Old 06-06-2006, 06:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyK View Post

Wow, I feel really fortunate to be here in the middle of the continent.

You mean Tornado Alley, the highest concentration of tornadoes in the world?? No thanks, I'll take hurricanes. At least you know they're coming. Tornadoes, shudder.
#23 Old 06-06-2006, 06:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

You mean Tornado Alley, the highest concentration of tornadoes in the world?? No thanks, I'll take hurricanes. At least you know they're coming. Tornadoes, shudder.

I live a bit north of tornado alley, thankfully. I wouldn't live there either.
#24 Old 06-12-2006, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elibrown View Post

I LOVE the veggie patty...I wish I could buy it at the store for cheaper than an MRE! I agree with you about the manicotti though if you use all the Tabasco and the seasoning packet it's a little better.

I wish it were easier/cheaper to get HDRs, but they only made them for a limited time and for the Middle East. They're "suitable for all cultures", meaning for one that they're vegan.

Edited: PS, where do you live, I'm curious? I'm leaving tomorrow for Mississippi and we'll be going over the north side of Pontchartrain. Are you from down there? I love the South (aside from the occassional disapproval of my diet)...I'm thinking about moving to New Orleans.

Yes, i am in covington, but i'm sure youre past us now, i took like 3 weeks to reply
#25 Old 06-13-2006, 06:40 AM
Veggie Regular

I had meant to add this link earlier. They have some pretty good items for emergency prepardeness, no matter where you live or for what emergency. Even if you only need a nice first aid kit to keep in your car.

http://beprepared.com/

When the conversation about MRE's came up, it reminded me of them. They do sell a few varieties of vegetarian MRE's if anyone might be interested.

HTH,

Michelle

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page