How do you feel about dating non-veg*ns? - VeggieBoards
View Poll Results: How do you feel about dating non-veg*ns?
I won't date them. 0 0%
Non-veg*nism really lowers their chances. 0 0%
I don't care either way. 0 0%
Take off every zig! 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-22-2006, 09:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Nt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-22-2006, 09:37 PM
Veggie Regular

It would take a lot of convincing to hook up with an animal eater...

It would definately take a huge compromise...
#3 Old 05-22-2006, 09:52 PM
Banned

I frequently have carnal relations with one.

Well, we're married, so not that frequently...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-22-2006, 09:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Wouldn't work. Apart from practical issues, the difference in core values would just be too great, we would be living in different worlds.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#5 Old 05-22-2006, 09:55 PM
Veggie Regular

I dated one and lived with one/was married to one for over 15 years... even though he was an omni, we loved cooking together, going out to eat, all sorts of 'food' related things... it didn't get in the way of our relationship at all (other things did in a huge way, but not being non-veg...)...

However, now that I'm with someone who's vegan, I tend to think I'd never "go back" to dating an omni... of course, I tend to think I wouldn't ever date ANYONE but him, regardless...
#6 Old 05-22-2006, 10:08 PM
Veggie Regular

I voted for "don't care either way" because I really don't, so long as they are respectful of my decision and willing to try the foods that I cook (I love to cook and love to share my creations with the people that I love). My current boyfriend is a very respectful omnivore who is totally capable of cooking and enjoying creative vegetarian meals. He's a former vegetarian of three years, so he isn't scared of trying new vegetarian things, either.

I love him in his entirety. He accepts me and I accept him.

By the way, what's a 'zig'?
#7 Old 05-22-2006, 10:26 PM
Veggie Regular

It's a meme from the poorly translated Zero Wing.

Operator: Main screen turn on.

Captain: It's you !!

CATS: How are you gentlemen !!

CATS: All your base are belong to us.

CATS: You are on the way to destruction.

Captain: What you say !!

CATS: You have no chance to survive make your time.

CATS: Ha Ha Ha Ha ....

Captain: Take off every zig!!
#8 Old 05-22-2006, 10:46 PM
Veggie Regular

I'd love to date a veg*n but am not finding much opportunity to do so (
#9 Old 05-23-2006, 12:21 PM
Vez

My issues with it:

1) Kissing someone who's just eaten a burger/loads of cheese would really put me off - I'd feel like I was eating it myself.

2) I don't think I could be in a long-term relationship with someone who had really different principles to me. For example, I couldn't date a religious fundamentalist, a right-wing extremist, someone pro-war or a homophobe, because we'd agree on virtually nothing. The same is likely to be true of an omnivore, unless they were very understanding and agreed with my principles, even if they couldn't bring themselves to give up meat.

I'd be much more likely to date a lacto-ovo-veggie than an omnivore, although if they ate loooooads of cheese I'd just find it gross, coz cheese makes me want to vomit.
#10 Old 05-23-2006, 12:34 PM

/agree Stellar26

My boyfriend and I live together, and he's not vegan, but we have no animal products in the house. We cook vegan together every night at home and when we go out, if he eats meat, it's usually fish, but he has eaten beef and chicken from time to time since we've been together (although it's rarely when I am around). He's incredibly respectful of my values and even goes so far as to do little things, like make sure our rolls are on different plates at the sushi restaurant or use a new fork if he wants to taste something off of my plate.

As far as kissing someone with meat-mouth, he won't kiss me if he's been eating meat
#11 Old 05-23-2006, 12:37 PM
Vez

^ That's the kind of non-vegan I'd be happy to date. Unfortunately, all my friends - male and female - love to take the piss and tease me re: my diet. At New Year, some joker decided to put sausages up my nose whilst I was unconscious (nobody try to tell me it was my fault for being drunk - I'm a teenager, what do you expect?).
#12 Old 05-23-2006, 12:38 PM
Veggie Regular

My husband would never approve of me dating a non-veg*n.
#13 Old 05-23-2006, 02:29 PM
Veggie Regular

I tend to take off every zig.
#14 Old 05-23-2006, 03:37 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

Wouldn't work. Apart from practical issues, the difference in core values would just be too great, we would be living in different worlds.

sevenseas I agree with you 100%. I can't see myself dating anyone who did not hold the same values, I, myself don't feel like we would be able to see eye to eye.
#15 Old 05-23-2006, 03:45 PM

Dating is hard when you have radical ethics/lifestyle choices. It seems to me that as I get older there are more and more things that I believe/am into that go against the norm. So far? I'd have to find someone (male or female- I'm pansexual) who is at the very least respectful with the fact that I am

vegan

extreme animal rights supporter (go ALF!)

into body modification

a Marxist-Leninist

always active in mulitpme boycotts/protests at a time

an atheist... and a pretty blasphemous one at that.

I can certainly make compromises. For example, I've resigned myself to the fact that most people I meat will be speciesist to a degree.
#16 Old 05-23-2006, 03:49 PM
Veggie Regular

I love my omni man
#17 Old 05-23-2006, 04:22 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't think I'd be able to be with a non-veg that way anymore. Before my girlfriend, now wife, was veg, I would discourage her from eating animals. If she ate tuna or somethign like, I always made her wash her mouth out afterwards and certainly wouldn't kiss her if she hadn't. I wouldn't date or kiss a smoker either.
#18 Old 05-23-2006, 04:26 PM
Veggie Regular

I've been dating an omni for over a year now. I've never actually dated a veg*n. The current omni is really respectful of my choices, and eats vegetarian at home for the most part (as I cook, and he does not!). He'll eat just about anything I make.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#19 Old 05-23-2006, 04:42 PM
Veggie Regular

I lived with an omni for a few years who was quite content to eat any veggie food I made. He only cooked meat in the house about once a month so it wasn't really an issue.

Now though, well I see eating meat as a kind of a dealbreaker. Not completely, but it drstically reduces their chances Right now I am with a mostly-vegan
#20 Old 05-24-2006, 01:29 AM
Veggie Regular

I will date omnis casually, but if they want to get serious, they must convert.
#21 Old 05-24-2006, 06:38 AM

I dated a hard core hunter and meat eater...it made the relationship tough but also interesting... Its when they start teasing you and criticizing your beliefs that they have to go. If you care about some one you respect their decisions.
#22 Old 05-24-2006, 06:44 AM

well i am a new veg*n so my feelings may change later but at this point i wouldn't want to kiss anyone who has allowed something that was a living being to cross their lips...
#23 Old 05-24-2006, 12:15 PM
Vez

Quote:
Originally Posted by EthicalAtheist View Post

Dating is hard when you have radical ethics/lifestyle choices. It seems to me that as I get older there are more and more things that I believe/am into that go against the norm. So far? I'd have to find someone (male or female- I'm pansexual) who is at the very least respectful with the fact that I am

vegan

extreme animal rights supporter (go ALF!)

into body modification

a Marxist-Leninist

always active in mulitpme boycotts/protests at a time

an atheist... and a pretty blasphemous one at that.

I can certainly make compromises. For example, I've resigned myself to the fact that most people I meat will be speciesist to a degree.

Similarly, I would be hesitant to get into a serious relationship with someone who didn't share or at least have a lot of respect for my values [which, incidentally, are largely the sameas yours].
#24 Old 05-24-2006, 01:23 PM

I've been thinking about this a lot lately. At first I didn't care if he ate meat because I tend to only worry about what is on my plate and let others enjoy their freedom of diet.

But I begin to think about what happens when I marry and have children. I do not want my children eating meat. And if daddy is eating meat then I have my challenge. I don't want daddy giving Jr. a little tasty taste of his Whopper because Jr. wants to know what it taste like and daddy honestly does not think a thing wrong with a single bite. Beside Jr. is his kid too. But I live in the South..fried chicken capital USA. Most men here are meat eaters.

I guess I should join the local vegetarian society and that will increase my chances of meeting vegan men.
#25 Old 05-24-2006, 01:34 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't think my husband would approve of me dating either BUT if I were single again I don't care so long as he is respectful of my choice. Similarily I don't care about having a complete vegetarian house and I'm not uptight about what my kids eat. My life is my journey and I can love someone just the same if they take a slightly different path from me.

My husband is an omni and I would never in a million years ask him to even consider vegetarianism "for me". If he ever makes the decision to go fully veggie, it will be for him and his decision alone.

FTR, I don't make him brush his teeth before kissing me either. That seems kind of silly and a bit degrading to me.

Mary
#26 Old 05-24-2006, 02:26 PM
Veggie Regular

A lot of people don't view eating meat, or not eating meat as slightly different paths, though. Or merely a dietary preference. I certainly wouldn't consider a vegetarian parent "up-tight" because they didn't want their child to consume meat, and or dairy.

To a lot of people, it is purely a matter of ethics. It's understandable why someone would happily date/marry an omni if they didn't think that eating meat was an immoral act, but it's also understandable why someone who did think so, might not. It's quite normal for people to want to spend their lives with partners who do not live in direct contrast to their own ethical codes. Whatever they may be.

If one is of the mind set that they do not get to decide what is 'right' for others, as in "eating meat is wrong for me, but I don't care what others do" then why not date an ax murderer, so long as he was respectful of your choice not to be an ax murderer?
#27 Old 05-24-2006, 03:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryC1999 View Post

FTR, I don't make him brush his teeth before kissing me either. That seems kind of silly and a bit degrading to me.Mary

That is an interesting statement. Could you tell me more about what this means?

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#28 Old 05-24-2006, 03:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicious View Post

A lot of people don't view eating meat, or not eating meat as slightly different paths, though. Or merely a dietary preference. I certainly wouldn't consider a vegetarian parent "up-tight" because they didn't want their child to consume meat, and or dairy.

To a lot of people, it is purely a matter of ethics. It's understandable why someone would happily date/marry an omni if they didn't think that eating meat was an immoral act, but it's also understandable why someone who did think so, might not. It's quite normal for people to want to spend their lives with partners who do not live in direct contrast to their own ethical codes. Whatever they may be.

If one is of the mind set that they do not get to decide what is 'right' for others, as in "eating meat is wrong for me, but I don't care what others do" then why not date an ax murderer, so long as he was respectful of your choice not to be an ax murderer?

Right. I find eating animals and thier products to be morally repugnant, ethically imbalanced, environmentally irresponsible, unhealthy and an altogether horrendous act, therefore, it's not something I can accept within my moral code (or in a lifepartner's) as a valid choice to make amongst those of us free to make such choices (in areas where eating animal products isn't necessary to sustain human life).

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#29 Old 05-24-2006, 03:32 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm completely happy to date an omni.
#30 Old 05-24-2006, 04:58 PM
Veggie Regular

I had sworn off dating completely and wasn't interested in meeting anybody, veg*an or otherwise. But when I met my sweetie, it was like there was some irrestible magnetic force pulling us together. The fact that there was a sausage pizza sitting in front of him suddenly didn't phase me.

That said, had he been rude or disrespectful of my dietary preferences, I'm pretty sure the attraction would have been killed. Instead, he's just the opposite.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page