SURVEY: Results to be sent to the Virginia Beach Health Department - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-15-2006, 07:07 PM

I am currently writing a proposal to the Virginia Beach Health Department on a plan to get more restaurants to sport vegan options (and to mark them as vegan). I have a lot of the factual data already written down, but I'd like to include a survey concerning the hypothetical impact on vegans and nonvegans alike. If you could, would you please fill this survey out here? Or if you'd like, I can send it to you in an e-mail and you can reply that way. Thank you so much!

How often do you eat out?

Are you vegan?

If yes, please answer the following:

================

1. On a scale of 1 (easy) to 10 (strenuous), how difficult is it to find a place to eat out at?

2. How often a week do you cook? ...eat prepared meals?

3. Would you be more likely to eat out if a restaurant advertised or clearly marked vegan entrees?

4. Would you be more likely to eat out if a restaurant that didn't have explicit vegan choices noted which ones could be altered to be vegan compatible?

5. How many times have you refused to eat at a restaurant because it didn't have adequate vegan choices?

6. How many times have you influenced a group to eat at out at a vegan restaurant? Approximately, how large was/were the group(s)?

================

If no, please answer the following:

================

1. Would a restaurant providing solely vegan foods deter you from eating there?

2. Would a restaurant that had previously had no vegan options but introduced some lose any of your interest?

3. How many times have you refused to eat at a restaurant because it had vegan choices?

================
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-15-2006, 08:52 PM

How often do you eat out? once or twice a week

Are you vegan? sometimes

================

1. On a scale of 1 (easy) to 10 (strenuous), how difficult is it to find a place to eat out at? 7

2. How often a week do you cook? ...eat prepared meals? I always cook or eat out, never prepared meals.

3. Would you be more likely to eat out if a restaurant advertised or clearly marked vegan entrees? heck yes!

4. Would you be more likely to eat out if a restaurant that didn't have explicit vegan choices noted which ones could be altered to be vegan compatible? yes

5. How many times have you refused to eat at a restaurant because it didn't have adequate vegan choices? sometimes

6. How many times have you influenced a group to eat at out at a vegan restaurant? Approximately, how large was/were the group(s)? I've never been to a vegan restaurant, they're a bit sparse out in the desert.

================

================

2. Would a restaurant that had previously had no vegan options but introduced some lose any of your interest?

3. How many times have you refused to eat at a restaurant because it had vegan choices?
#3 Old 05-15-2006, 09:50 PM

Thanks for your reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-16-2006, 02:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Are you vegan?

yes

================

1. On a scale of 1 (easy) to 10 (strenuous), how difficult is it to find a place to eat out at?

The city in which I live is about a 3 (I know all the places) but in smaller places I'd say it's more like an 8

I cook the vast majority of my meals because it's too expensive to eat out often and vegan convenience foods are also expensive, and leave a lot to be desired.

3. Would you be more likely to eat out if a restaurant advertised or clearly marked vegan entrees?

Absolutely. The only non-veg restaurants I will go to are where I can see their menu online in advance, to determine if there are suitable options for me.

4. Would you be more likely to eat out if a restaurant that didn't have explicit vegan choices noted which ones could be altered to be vegan compatible?

yes, possibly, but then I'd still want to go over stuff with them to make sure they understood what vegan means. I have a low level of trust.

5. How many times have you refused to eat at a restaurant because it didn't have adequate vegan choices?

a few times. I am not one to go to a crappy restaurant with no options "just for the company." If I'm paying for food, it has to be worth my money. Eating out is expensive!

6. How many times have you influenced a group to eat at out at a vegan restaurant? Approximately, how large was/were the group(s)?

Every time I go out for lunch with a friend we go to a veg restaurant. My coworkers and I went to a veg restaurant for my birthday (6 of us) and next week my dad and his friends will go to a veg restaurant because of me (again, 6 of us).
#5 Old 05-16-2006, 02:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Are you vegan?

Yes

Quote:

================

Quote:

Cook 6 days per week, eat out 1 per week

Quote:

Many times!

Quote:

Yes

Quote:

Too many to count

Quote:

Always, 4-10 persons
#6 Old 05-16-2006, 05:32 PM

Thank you! I will probably collect results for another week or two, and then off we are!
#7 Old 05-17-2006, 12:57 AM
Veggie Regular

================

1. On a scale of 1 (easy) to 10 (strenuous), how difficult is it to find a place to eat out at? 4. i am definitely limited, and i prefer not to go to certain places like steakhouses on principle, but wherever i am i can usually get some accomodation, EXCEPT for fast food, which can be near impossible for me.

2. How often a week do you cook? ...eat prepared meals? assume 21 meals per week, 7 are breakfast food (oatmeal, cereal). about 7 are prepared (boca burger) and 7 are cooked (like spaghetti).

3. Would you be more likely to eat out if a restaurant advertised or clearly marked vegan entrees?stop teasing me no question, of course, way more likely.

4. Would you be more likely to eat out if a restaurant that didn't have explicit vegan choices noted which ones could be altered to be vegan compatible?that's the case now, but only at some places. even this would be better than nothing at all, and i'd definitely go out more often.

5. How many times have you refused to eat at a restaurant because it didn't have adequate vegan choices?i guess a lot of times, depending on how you look at it. i won't go to a steakhouse-like place, and if people are going out there, i wouldn't go with them. pizzerias are pretty difficult too. so at least 10x a year for places i refuse to go.

6. How many times have you influenced a group to eat at out at a vegan restaurant? Approximately, how large was/were the group(s)? about 5x, last year i lived near a vegan lunch cafe and brought a big group (5) of people with me there, in the span of a year. also i went there a bunch of times (15-20) with smaller groups (3 or 4).

eta: i am vegan btw
#8 Old 05-17-2006, 01:49 AM

How often do you eat out? almost never, but that is because I am painfully frugal and because there just aren't may options out there for me

Are you vegan? yes

================

1. On a scale of 1 (easy) to 10 (strenuous), how difficult is it to find a place to eat out at? 10

2. How often a week do you cook? ...eat prepared meals? I cook three meals a day and never eat prepared meals--but I might buy a fake meat product occasionally

3. Would you be more likely to eat out if a restaurant advertised or clearly marked vegan entrees? yes

4. Would you be more likely to eat out if a restaurant that didn't have explicit vegan choices noted which ones could be altered to be vegan compatible? yes

5. How many times have you refused to eat at a restaurant because it didn't have adequate vegan choices? just about everytime we have tried to find a place to eat out

6. How many times have you influenced a group to eat at out at a vegan restaurant? Approximately, how large was/were the group(s)? never

================

================

#9 Old 05-17-2006, 02:58 AM
Beginner

How often do you eat out? 2 x's per week

Are you vegan? Yes

================

1. On a scale of 1 (easy) to 10 (strenuous), how difficult is it to find a place to eat out at? 9

2. How often a week do you cook? ...eat prepared meals? 5 days per week

3. Would you be more likely to eat out if a restaurant advertised or clearly marked vegan entrees? Definately

4. Would you be more likely to eat out if a restaurant that didn't have explicit vegan choices noted which ones could be altered to be vegan compatible? Yes

5. How many times have you refused to eat at a restaurant because it didn't have adequate vegan choices? too many to count

6. How many times have you influenced a group to eat at out at a vegan restaurant? Approximately, how large was/were the group(s)? Several times, groups were 2-10 people
#10 Old 05-17-2006, 06:26 AM
Veggie Regular

How often do you eat out?

approximately once a week

Are you vegan?

yes

================

where I live, it is a 3, but when I go out of town, 7

i eat in a cafeteria setting, but when i am home, i cook 5-6 days a week, eat what my mom cooks 7 days a week.

I would.

Definitely, i'd like to see larger chains have this on their menus.

once - it was a steakhouse and when called they refused to accomodate me

more than 10, and it was a group of at least three others.
#11 Old 05-17-2006, 06:34 AM
Veggie Regular

SURVEY: Results to be sent to the Virginia Beach Health Department - 1 Day Ago

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am currently writing a proposal to the Virginia Beach Health Department on a plan to get more restaurants to sport vegan options (and to mark them as vegan). I have a lot of the factual data already written down, but I'd like to include a survey concerning the hypothetical impact on vegans and nonvegans alike. If you could, would you please fill this survey out here? Or if you'd like, I can send it to you in an e-mail and you can reply that way. Thank you so much!

How often do you eat out? Roughly five times a month; Once a week

Are you vegan? Yes

================

5 (That might be generous as I live in omni families, but I'm flexible, knowing that I can always get a snack of a side salad/baked potato and go home and eat.) However, there are several veg*n restaurants in the Columbus, OH area; I've just never been to them.

I cook/make my own meals at least 15 times a week. 2.5-3 times (I live in an apartment complex that has weekly communtiy cookouts; I take something to share, in addition to my veggie burger; Since I am cooking, but am eather others shared/prepared foods, I don't quite know how to answer, especially since I've been taking potato chips that I do not want for myself...)

Yes, but I'm fairly sure that my husband wouldn't if it was strctly vegan

As I said, I live in omni familes, so yes. Although it does get annoying that I'm the one who has to be flexible. Although my husband is usually supportive. Awhile ago his parents came to visit and he wanted to take them to a bbq restaurant. He asked if that was okay with me. I said, yes, knowing I could always make some real food at home. I looked at the menu on-line and was happily surprised to see that they offer a veggie wrap.

I'm not sure. However, my husband and I were in Jacksonville Beach Easter weekend. We walked into a pizza place and asked if we could get half of a pizza with no cheese, or a calzone with no cheese. We were told no, that it would be extra work for the cook. (How eliminating an item from something is "extra work", we couldn't figure out.) So we walked out. I can't think of any, but I'm sure that there has been times when I've settled for a baked potato or salad, but that doesn't count as walking out.

6. How many times have you influenced a group to eat at out at a vegan restaurant? Zero. The closest I've come was suggesting the coffee/sandwhich shop that is almost next door to my church to my MIL. However, we wound up going to Tim Horton's instead where we got lously service and I got a horrible veggie sandwhich (lettuce, tomato and a cucumber on a white bun for $3. Fortunately, my MIL got $3 off the bill for them not having the chicken salad. I guess it evened out.) Also, Cosi, which is a smallish chain of gourmet sandwhich shops, to my MIL, aunt-in-law and SIL. We were at a local upscale mall and my MIL was thinking McD's as it was close to where we were. I was looking at a mall map (while being deathly bored while my SIL tried on clohtes after overpriced clothes) and found the Cosi. I couldn't stomach the thought of even going into McD's.

Approximately, how large was/were the group(s)? Zero

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~

Virginia Beach is a tourism town. You might want to suggest that it would fare better for tourism if there are restaurants that offer substantial veg*n options. That's one of the things I like about NYC. My husband and I can walk into almost any resataurant and come out happy. (Never mind that some of the happy comes from alcohol...) However, being a smart vegan traveller, I brought alon my PB and fruit spread. I don't think I used it. Well, at least we can both be happy at Italian and Mexican and Chinese restaurants. And most pizza places (the one in Jacksonville Beach was the first that didn't) will make pizza with no cheese. I've even substituted another topping in lieu of cheese.

Okay. I'm done babbling.

Laura

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page