Veganism: 'the decisive standard worldwide' - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-05-2006, 10:34 AM

The term "vegan" (pronounced VEE-gn) was coined by Donald Watson in 1944, and was at once adopted by the group who founded The Vegan Society in England later that year. The Vegan Society was the first organized secular group to promote a compassionate lifestyle. Their definition of "veganism," which is accepted as the decisive standard worldwide, is as follows:

Veganism is a way of living which excludes all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, the animal kingdom, and includes a reverence for life. It applies to the practice of living on the products of the plant kingdom to the exclusion of flesh, fish, fowl, eggs, honey, animal milk and its derivatives, and encourages the use of alternatives for all commodities derived wholly or in part from animals.

Source: The Name Game: Coming to Terms
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-05-2006, 12:21 PM
Veggie Regular

even more to my liking:

Quote:
In its Articles of Association, the legal documents of the Society, a slightly different version is presented:

Hrz_lin3.gif - 0.1 K

Veganism denotes a philosophy and way of living which seeks to exclude - as far as is possible and practical - all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing, or any other purpose; and by extension, promotes the development and use of animal-free alternatives for the benefit of humans, animals, and the environment.

the main difference is "way of living which seeks to exclude - as far as is possible and practical"

it gets around the totalitarians that like to say that they don't want to call themselves vegan because it's an unatainable label. That way i don't have to remove my vegan bumper sticker when i accidentally eat a bug as i ride my bike with my tongue hanging out sucking air like a fish out of water.
#3 Old 04-05-2006, 12:47 PM

Thanks, Romac. I think I know what you mean about "totalitarians." I've heard people like that say veganism can include honey because insects are killed in cultivating crops. Yet it is obviously possible and practical to go without the institutional exploitation and cruelty of honey production. And while we can't go without crops the promotion of vegan organic cultivation is the "development and use of animal-free alternatives for the benefit of humans, animals, and the environment."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-05-2006, 01:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer View Post

Thanks, Romac. I think I know what you mean about "totalitarians."

yeah and i think some people use the absolute impossibility of the first definition as a 'reason' to drop the label 'vegan' and use the label 'vegetarian' instead, then abide by much easier rules of vegetarianism...and of course there's the cheese. lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page