PERFECT ant repellant! totally safe for everyone - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-04-2006, 12:46 PM
Veggie Regular

We've had some ant issues since moving to a ground floor apartment, and have been trying to find ways to deal with them~ MIL told me something and I decided to go ahead and try it~ after all it couldn't hurt. But it really really works!!!!!

WHOLE CLOVES. Just sprinkle them by the door, or wherever they're coming in, put them in little mesh bags in the cupboards, etc. The ants HATE the way they smell. They walk up to the clove, smell it, and turn around and RUN away. I didn't think it would work so well... but wow!

I spotted 2 ants together by the wall and put a clove between them. They both smelled it, and took off in opposite directions. Begone ants! Stay outside where you belong!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-04-2006, 12:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh, and if you have kids or pets and they get ahold of the cloves, no harm done ~ so cool
#3 Old 04-04-2006, 12:50 PM

That's really interesting... never thought about it before!!

Thanks for the advice!! (Although hopefully I won't have to use it )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-04-2006, 02:03 PM
Veggie Regular

thanks, i'll have to remember this! Our pool deck gets thousands of ants in the summer... we normally try to wash them away with chlorine water from the pool but they always come back.
#5 Old 04-04-2006, 02:04 PM
Veggie Regular

McCormick has a little history page on Cloves

http://www.mccormick.com/content.cfm?id=8218

Thanks for sharing.. I wonder if it would deter other bugs.

I'd love to keep my home in its current bug-free condition without ever having to kill any. I heard another suggestion of putting sugar, fruits or bread inside a large jar. Smear vaseline inside the neck then add a ramp from the floor to the inside with a piece of newspaper or something. The ants or bugs can crawl into the jar and enjoy the treat. They can't crawl back out without use of the ramp. So you remove the ramp and carry the jar outside. Place it wherever you are comfortable with and let them have use of the ramp again to escape.
#6 Old 04-04-2006, 03:24 PM
Veggie Regular

[QUOTE=Thanks for sharing.. I wonder if it would deter other bugs.[/QUOTE]

I was wondering the same thing! We get these awful looking "sow" bugs in the summer in the garage and basement, not to mention the daddy long leg spiders and centipedes. I love the thing with the jar and vaseline.
#7 Old 04-04-2006, 04:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Red Pepper works well too.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#8 Old 04-04-2006, 06:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Yay! Great info, I get them every Spring and Fall.
#9 Old 04-05-2006, 01:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for the great info. I hate killing any little critters that make their way into my house so I will try this as the ants have already started moving in.
#10 Old 04-05-2006, 02:14 AM
Veggie Regular

I also had success squeezing orange peels and rubbing the 'juice' that came out of them along any areas where the ants were: edges of cupboards, around the base of the floor, etc. This was however, after clearing up the source of the problem (a leaky corn syrup bottle) so I'm not sure if it was one or the other, or a combination of the two that worked.
#11 Old 04-05-2006, 02:45 AM
Veggie Regular

i use bay leaves to keep them away. lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page