Which bread/sub companies are vegan? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-03-2006, 11:15 PM

I am slowly attempting to go vegan, and I was wondering which bread companies are fully vegan. (For instance, is Dempster's?) And also, while browsing through some topics I read that some vegans here eat at subway, except they ask for no cheese. Is Subway bread vegan? Which other sub places are vegan? (Mr. Sub?) Sorry if I'm sounding very ignorant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-03-2006, 11:26 PM

I don't know-I have never eaten at subway.plus, some bread(or food in general) companies have vegan and non-vegan products. for instance, Alvarado street bread has a few vegan varieties and a few with honey-none with dairy AFAIK.

when I first went vegan i spent an entire day e-mailing companies of foods and products I consistantly used to determine they were vegan. I suggest you do the same. : )
#3 Old 04-03-2006, 11:38 PM
Veggie Regular

The only bread at Subway that is fully vegan is the White Italian. The wheat bread is vegan unless you avoid honey. At least in the US.

I haven't heard of the other places you mentioned. Many chain restaurants have ingredient listings on their website.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-04-2006, 09:33 AM
Veggie Regular

I was wondering this too. I emailed Mr. Sub about ingredients and never got a response.

I don't eat at one of the Subway's here now because of an incident happening twice there (it's in a mall food court), where I explained that I was vegan and explained what veganisim was, and asked for ingredients, but they refused to show them saying "the bread is vegan, there's no meat in it" and I repeatedly ask saying "I'm talking about animal-derived ingredients, not just meat, I know there isn't meat" gets cut off with "there's no meat in the bread so it's okay", and so I say again "but that's not the only animal ingredients, there's eggs, milk ingredients, hone-" gets cut off again "it's vegan, bread never contains milk or eggs" so I reply "yes most of them do" and once again I get a "it's vegan, bread doesn't have meat or milk" and she keeps repeating this crap no matter how many times I ask to see the ingredients, so I leave and go to a different part of the food court.

I can't stand when I can't get ingredients from places. It should be the law that all ingredients HAVE to be available at resteraunts (imagine if ingredients in the future are colour-coded to say whether an ingredient is animal-derived or plant-derived, that would be awesome)

So yeah, if anyone knows what breads are vegan in Subway, and Mr. Sub, I would like to know too.
#5 Old 04-04-2006, 10:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

The only bread at Subway that is fully vegan is the White Italian. The wheat bread is vegan unless you avoid honey. At least in the US.

I haven't heard of the other places you mentioned. Many chain restaurants have ingredient listings on their website.

I'd like to second that advice. When in doubt about ingredients, I strongly suggest getting your information directly from the company itself. That's the surest way to find out about their products & ingredients. http://subway.com/subwayroot/MenuNut...gredients.aspx
#6 Old 04-04-2006, 05:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Mr. Subb has poor subs compared to Subway IMO. There has been a lot of talk around here about Subway's bread, I'd suggest doing a search for "subway" you'll have more info than you wanted.

As far as store bought, you'd have to check the labels. My health food store has fresh baked bread that I used to LOVE to get that were vegan. (so good) I'd recommend that approach over storebought bread because it's tastey and you don't have to sit around for 10 minutes wondering what half the ingredents are.

I got a bread machine for Xmas and so I make my bread at home now.
#7 Old 04-04-2006, 09:57 PM

if you are buying from a store you should get Ezekiel 4:9, its the best stuff ever.
#8 Old 04-05-2006, 01:06 AM
Veggie Regular

When I eat at Subway I get the Italian white bread with all veggies plus oil and vinegar dressing. I'm pretty sure that this bread is the only vegan bread they have.
#9 Old 04-05-2006, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenM View Post

I'd like to second that advice. When in doubt about ingredients, I strongly suggest getting your information directly from the company itself. That's the surest way to find out about their products & ingredients. http://subway.com/subwayroot/MenuNut...gredients.aspx

Yep, check the above site, under the FAQs...

"Do your breads contain animal products?

SUBWAY® Italian bread contains no animal-derived ingredients. The wheat bread and deli roll contain honey, which may be considered an animal-derived ingredient. The Parmesan Oregano and other cheese-topped breads do contain milk-derived ingredients.

What menu items at SUBWAY® restaurants are vegan/do not contain animal-derived ingredients?

The menu items that do not contain any animal-derived ingredients are the Veggie Delite® on Italian bread and the Veggie Delite® salad. Also these individual items also do not contain animal-derived ingredients: all vegetables, oil, vinegar, mustard, sweet onion sauce and Fruizle. The wheat bread and deli roll contain honey but no other animal-derived ingredients.

Do any of your breads contain milk/milk-derived ingredients?

Only the breads that contain a cheese topping like the Parmesan Oregano bread."
#10 Old 04-05-2006, 12:32 PM

The list from PETA's site:

* Arnold's Carb-Counting Multi-Grain Bread

* Arnold's Jewish Rye Bread

* Arnold's Potato Sandwich Rolls

* Arnold's Sesame Sandwich Rolls

* Arnold's Stone Ground Whole Wheat Bread

* Arnold's Wheat Sandwich Rolls

* Baker's Inn Hearty Potato with Grain

* Baker's Inn Raisin Wheat

* Cobblestone Mill Hoagie Rolls

* Cobblestone Mill Jewish Rye Bread

* Cobblestone Mill Kaiser Rolls

* Cobblestone Mill Onion Rolls

* Cobblestone Mill Party Rolls

* Cobblestone Mill Pumpernickel Bread

* Cobblestone Mill White Sub Rolls

* Cobblestone Mill Whole Wheat Bread

* Dutch Country Soft Potato

* Dutch Country Whole Wheat

* Krispy Kreme Fruit Pies (Apple)

* Krispy Kreme Fruit Pies (Cherry)

* Krispy Kreme Fruit Pies (Peach)

* Little Debbie Cake Donuts

* Pepperidge Farm Dark Pumpernickel Bread

* Pepperidge Farm Rye and Pumpernickel Swirl Bread

* Sunbeam Bread

* Thomas New York Style Bagels (Blueberry)

* Thomas New York Style Bagels (Cinnamon Swirl)

* Thomas New York Style Bagels (Everything)

* Thomas New York Style Bagels (Plain)

* Thomas Toaster Bagels (Cinnamon Raisin)

* Thomas Toaster Bagels (Plain)

* Weight Watchers Fork Split English Muffins

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page