Do you ever watch a shocking vid about the treatment of animals to remind you WHY... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-27-2006, 05:19 AM
Beginner

... you became Vegetarian or Vegan???

It's been 3-4 months since I last watched 'Meet your meet' (I was so awe [in a bad way] struck by it I KEPT watching it over and over...). Tonight I watched another Peta Video about cows being slaughtered...

And even though I was crying and yelling at those stupid people, I couldn't turn away. I felt sickened but in a weird way I felt it was my duty to KEEP watching and remind myself WHY I AM VEGAN!!

I have a headache now and all I want to do is cuddle my partner in bed and him tell me 'everything is going to be okay'.

Why oh WHY does this happen to animals? Why oh WHY is it ALLOWED to continue...

-Jess
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-27-2006, 05:35 AM
Veggie Regular

i'm making a point to not watch these anymore.

i decided that after watching 'earthlings'

the images are so vivid in my mind i doubt i'll ever need to watch them again.

the people perpetuating the suffering are the ones who need to be exposed to these...not my poor eyes. After watching earthlings, for 3 or 4 days i had very weird dreams...not nearly as gruesome as those in the film, but definately inspired by it.

my email sig provides the link to peta's movie page so i can hopefully expose a few omni's and vegetarians to these horrendous images.
#3 Old 03-27-2006, 06:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romac View Post

i'm making a point to not watch these anymore.

i decided that after watching 'earthlings'

the images are so vivid in my mind i doubt i'll ever need to watch them again.

I feel somewhat the same way. I watched Earthlings just a couple days ago, and it upset me so bad that I had to leave the room I was in (there was other ppl in the room, I was watching it on my laptop) to go for a walk alone to cry. That video actually made me angry at EVERYONE who supports the pet industry, animals as clothing, meat, dairy, eggs, circuses, rodeos, hunting, etc. Not normal for me, usually I'm not angry at friends or family just disappointed, but this time I was flat out pissed off. I wanted to grab someone and shake them demanding answers as to why they do what they do. I still will watch new footage, because my shock/disgust is motivational to me. When I see such things, I urgently want to stop them, and will therefore increase my activism. Some of the footage though has given me nightmares or the images have been stuck in my head for weeks (the notorious raccoon killed for fur video for example) Right now the dog-in-garabage-truck scene from Earthlings won't stop depressing, disgusting, and frightening me (all who have watched it know what I mean)

So for me they do work as motivation, but I don't make a habit of watching something like that over and over. The only time I will be watching Meet Your Meat or Earthlings again is when I'm showing them to someone else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-27-2006, 06:40 AM
Veggie Regular

I try not to too often because it just gets me depressed and resentful that all this is going on and I can't do anything (much) about it.

I did however watch "Meet Your Meat" after I had been vegan for a couple of years, and I do want to watch "Earthlings".

I never watch anything like the recent fur video of animals getting skinned alive though, it's just too much.

I think it's important to remind yourself of why you believe in a cause, but sometimes, with things like this, it can do more harm than good.

"Through the centuries, we have projected onto the wolf the qualities we most despise and fear in ourselves." ~ Barry Lopez.
#5 Old 03-27-2006, 07:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by manics_fan View Post

I try not to too often because it just gets me depressed and resentful that all this is going on and I can't do anything (much) about it.

I did however watch "Meet Your Meat" after I had been vegan for a couple of years, and I do want to watch "Earthlings".

earthlings is more harsh imo than meet your meat...it made me want to find these people and show them the true meaning of 'an eye for an eye'

i would like to watch some more shows about animal liberation and seciesism, but most or all of the documentaries seem to be for people who don't understand the horrors...i understand the horrors, but wouldn't mind a more indepth discussion of the philosophy behind seciesism.
#6 Old 03-27-2006, 07:42 AM
Veggie Regular

I know what you meat. Its been like 6 or 7 months since i last watched meet your meet. I didnt cry, but i did feel bad for the animals and my stomach was in knots thinking about how gross meat is. I watch it when I'm tempted to eat meat. The funny thing though, is that my little 11 year old sister watched it, cried her eyes out and then ate a corn dog later! I couldnt freakin believe it. *sighs* oh well, whaddaya gonna do.
#7 Old 03-27-2006, 07:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romac View Post

i would like to watch some more shows about animal liberation and seciesism, but most or all of the documentaries seem to be for people who don't understand the horrors...i understand the horrors, but wouldn't mind a more indepth discussion of the philosophy behind seciesism.

I'd like to see some documentaries on speciesism too, I've read quite a few books on the matter but never seen any videos about it.

"Through the centuries, we have projected onto the wolf the qualities we most despise and fear in ourselves." ~ Barry Lopez.
#8 Old 03-27-2006, 08:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by manics_fan View Post

I'd like to see some documentaries on speciesism too

Same here.
#9 Old 03-27-2006, 08:24 AM
Veggie Regular

No I don't watch them anymore. I don't see the point. I know what goes on and I've personally changed my lifestyle to ensure that I'm not a part of it. I still do have issues around changing to a purely vegan diet and need a boost occasionally, but I've got a couple of books which give me a push when I need it without all the gore.
#10 Old 03-27-2006, 08:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebutterfly05 View Post

Same here.

i can imagine david suzuki creating something like that but haven't searched too deeply
#11 Old 03-27-2006, 11:10 AM
Veggie Regular

I have never watched one, nor do I want to. I became vegetarian long before I knew what went on in the meat industry. But hearing about the egg, dairy and honey industries is what turned me vegan. I have enough reminders in day to day life of why I am vegan. There have been a few times in my life whereas if I wasn't already veg*n, I would have become one. As guess it is just in my genes.
#12 Old 03-27-2006, 01:56 PM
Beginner

After re-reading my previous post, I feel a bit barbaric. I had just watched a sad video and was feeling extremely DEPRESSED...

It sounds like I watch those videos over and over... far from the point. But sometimes a 'good kick up the bum' makes me want to do MORE...

-Jess
#13 Old 03-27-2006, 02:04 PM
Veggie Regular

That cant be good psychologically, Jessikah. Constant re-playing of horrendous scenes is what people do to brainwash others or to indoctrinate them into a cult. Its not a good idea.
#14 Old 03-27-2006, 02:10 PM
Beginner

Gita, as my last post said - I was feeling sad after watching it.

I've only watched three videos - Meet your meat; a cow slaughtering one; and a fur skinning one...

So no, I don't think I am psychologically harming myself... just educating myself. If I had NEVER watched these videos, I might have never become VEGAN...

-Jess
#15 Old 03-27-2006, 04:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lelena View Post

I have never watched one, nor do I want to. I became vegetarian long before I knew what went on in the meat industry.

Same with me.
#16 Old 03-27-2006, 06:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Luckily I haven't had the need to be reminded of why I'm vegan. I don't watch them anymore.
#17 Old 03-27-2006, 09:24 PM

I have a relatively healthy relationship with such videos/images. They don't haunt me in my sleep or even invoke instant emotion like some people I know. When I first saw images of the idustries I cried my eyes out. After becoming vegan it didn't bother me so much - it's not my fault, after all, right? So I watched as many as I could find. I don't know where my activism might take me, but I know I need to be able to control myself no matter what I see. So I got myself pretty used to them. (Systematically desensitized myself, actually.)

However, I do use them to motivate me more now. I freaking have to watch the pig portion of MYM to motivate myself to collect signatures (to ban veal crates/gestation crates) everyday I need to get out and do it. The pig portion bothers me now, because I feel like it's partly my fault - I can do something to ***** slap the pig industry in this state, and so I have to. If I don't than I'm just as bad as a pig eater in my eyes. But the other portions still don't bother me, which I find interesting.

I can't wait to get Earthlings. I need to set up a movie night with my best friend (we're going to have a vegan home when we move in together, but she's not vegan yet and I'm not even sure what she has in mind about it). I have PK and The Witness, Earthlings sounds like it would wrap it up nicely.
#18 Old 03-27-2006, 10:14 PM

what is earthlings? where can i see it?
#19 Old 03-27-2006, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kid_A View Post

what is earthlings? where can i see it?

http://www.isawearthlings.com/
#20 Old 03-27-2006, 10:41 PM
Veggie Regular

I watch them when I'm bored sometimes. Although, even with all the gore, I'd rather be watching an interesting movie.
#21 Old 03-27-2006, 11:04 PM
Beginner

All I need are the words. I rather not look at the video. Every time I see meat in the shop I realize it's made from mammal or poultry guts...and it's horrible
#22 Old 03-27-2006, 11:14 PM
Veggie Regular

I think it's mostly made from muscle.
#23 Old 03-28-2006, 04:48 PM

I've never seen any of those type of videos and I never plan to. I get very emotional, sometimes if I seen an animal thats been hit by a car in the road, I'll start crying, seriously.Somtimes I'll drive farther out of my way just to avoid passing by it again. May be extreme, but thats just how I feel. I absoltuley cannot stand it. I saw some pics from chinese fur factories that use dogs and cats on peta's site and heather mills mccartney's site and I felt literally sick after seeing them and reading the stories. Heather's site had much, much more graphic pics, actually showing it being done and what happens to the bodies afterward. I only went there to sign a fur petition and ended up subjecting myself to that when I try to avoid it. I know its out there, but I dont want to haunt myself with the images of it. I do wish sites would put a warning of some sort, I know they just want to make their point loud and clear but they do need some warning.
#24 Old 03-28-2006, 05:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessikah View Post

It sounds like I watch those videos over and over... far from the point. But sometimes a 'good kick up the bum' makes me want to do MORE...

I'm right there witcha Jess. This kind of stuff inspires me to change the world. But I think it all depends on how you're built as a person. Some ppl are receptive to negative input and can channel it into progress. Others work best in positive environments, so they should avoid this kind of stuff in high doses.

Um... were you born in the last half of the year? Capricorn, Sag, Scorp, Libra in particular? Just curious

I think the shock sites, like Jill mentioned above, are reaching out to the folks who like the "kick up the bum" method. But I agree there should be a warning, because on the wrong person it can work the opposite way.

Btw, the first time I saw Meet Your Meat (which is ENTIRELY the reason why I went vegan), I thought it was going to be a cute little kids show about fuzzy critters and how they are our friends. Man was I wrong
#25 Old 03-28-2006, 06:29 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

I have never watched Meet your Meat or it's ilk, and I don't intend to. I've been veg for over half my life and don't see that changing any time soon.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#26 Old 03-28-2006, 06:48 PM
Veggie Regular

I've never seen any of the videos... my imagination is quite vivid enough that just reading some of the descriptions in the books was enough to make me cry. I'm already a vegetarian, and I'm working on the dairy and eggs and converting my household and personal products to be more animal friendly... I don't need any more horror.
#27 Old 03-28-2006, 06:50 PM
Veggie Regular

after watching them, i get too mentally violent, too judgemental, too critical of anyone who doesn't immediately become vegetarian. i saw meet your meat a few times, and it's bad for the animals' health of course, and unfortunately my own mental health too.

my head explodes with cognitive dissonance when i think of perfectly nice people eating meat. i think some truly horrible things about people when i watch those videos. and maybe they're true, which is why i don't want to watch any more.
#28 Old 03-29-2006, 12:17 PM
Veggie Regular

I used to live around people who hunted and skinned deer all the time. You'd walk down the street and there would be rivers of blood flowing out of someones garage, or hanging corpses on a tree. You'd see all these heads and bones and skins piled up in the trash can with flies so thick it was like a black shag carpet-- so, I don't need to watch any video about skinning animals-- it sounds sort of masochistic to me, that's all.
#29 Old 03-30-2006, 02:06 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gita View Post

I used to live around people who hunted and skinned deer all the time. You'd walk down the street and there would be rivers of blood flowing out of someones garage, or hanging corpses on a tree. You'd see all these heads and bones and skins piled up in the trash can with flies so thick it was like a black shag carpet-- so, I don't need to watch any video about skinning animals-- it sounds sort of masochistic to me, that's all.

That'sunderstandable, then. I have grown up in suburban city in Sydney (Oz) , where I have never ever seen or known anybody who hunts. The worse I have ever seen is starving skinny cattle during the drought... so I had no idea how bad things really are... and now I know...
#30 Old 03-31-2006, 01:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gita View Post

That cant be good psychologically, Jessikah. Constant re-playing of horrendous scenes is what people do to brainwash others or to indoctrinate them into a cult. Its not a good idea.

I guess I disagree. Although I do think for some people it is unnecessary to have graphic visual reminders of things they already know about where it will haunt them afterward.

For others, I think the opportunity it provides to tap fully into strong emotions (grief, frustration, anger, sadness) can be very motivating. For me, what I'm haunted by most is the fact that these awful things happen to animals, not my experience of witnessing them. In an odd way, I feel like bearing witness to it is important- the luxury of out of sight/out of mind makes it too easy to stop trying to do what can be done- for me anyway.

Also, in a world where these atrocities are mostly ignored or trivialized, it can be useful in some ways to know that others thought they merited documentation and needed to be seen by people. It helps fortify my strength to keep fighting to see how *I* view the situation reflected back to me via another set of eyes (here the eyes of those who document it, and the eye of the camera lens).

Of course watching the films is *anything* but pleasant, but I do think that for some people it can be useful.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page